Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Having read about all these “woes”, I will stay on El Capitan until the cows come home
Well, all these "woes" are pretty much what this thread is, a small selection with issues and resolutions. High Sierra has been a rock for me. But all the power to you using an OS that is almost 2.5 years old. I am sure there were similar "woes" when El Capitan was released.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm trying to reinstall macOS sierra and stuck for 6 hours. Wondering if I should try to upgrade to High Sierra?
This is a High Sierra thread, so I assumed that you meant you were trying to install High Sierra.
But, my answer would be the same, for any version of macOS/OS X.
6 hours is longer than I would wait.
Force the system off, then reboot. That may be all you need to do at this point.
If that does not help, then reboot to your installer, and try the system install again.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Well, all these "woes" are pretty much what this thread is, a small selection with issues and resolutions. High Sierra has been a rock for me. But all the power to you using an OS that is almost 2.5 years old. I am sure there were similar "woes" when El Capitan was released.
Actually, I never had any "woe" with El Capitan. For me, El Capitan is like SnowLeopard: smooth and trouble free. From what I am reading here, it reminds me how Mavericks "bricked" my MPB Pro. Fortunately, Apple was still supporting my early 2008 MB Pro, and replaced the Mother Board for a reasonable fee. I now have an early 2015 MBA, and I will wait awhile to update because I do not need to talk to Siri on my laptop and I do not need the new APFS file system. I do not need any woes; like kernel panics.

Last edited:

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Actually, I never had any "woe" with El Capitan. For me, El Capitan is like SnowLeopard: smooth and trouble free. From what I am reading here, it reminds me how Mavericks "bricked" my MPB Pro. Fortunately, Apple was still supporting my early 2008 MBB Pro, and replaced the Mother Board for a reasonable fee. I now have an early 2015 MBA, and I will wait awhile to update because I do not need to talk to Siri on my laptop and I do not need the new APFS file system. I do not need any woes; like kernel panics.
Understood. I was just trying to point out that most forum threads are posted because there are issues and the thread starter is looking for resolution or clarification. People seldom start a thread about how smooth my install went. I have been using High Sierra since beta 1. I installed it as an upgrade to Sierra. I am using a 2011 MBP and it has never been bricked. I have never clean installed. I have restored from image once, but that was only because of user error and I was impatient about finding a solution (iCoud related and not a system killer). It's been running great for me from install to daily use. I agree, Siri is not a must and I don't use it. But Message in iCloud is and APFS was created for SSD's, so why not, I have one. I also have a 2011 iMac with an HDD that I upgraded as well and that's been solid.

I started using Mac's for the first time two years ago after using Windows machines for both work and home. I would reinstall the OS almost monthly on my home machine. I have been nothing but impressed with MacOSx. No BSOD's, not editing the registry, no installing drivers, no hardware conflicts.

Anyhow, I am probably an over the top fan or zealot at the moment. I bet that brick will be coming at me someday and I may change my tune!

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
I started using Mac's for the first time two years ago after using Windows machines for both work and home. I would reinstall the OS almost monthly on my home machine. I have been nothing but impressed with MacOSx. No BSOD's, not editing the registry, no installing drivers, no hardware conflicts.

I have a similar history; like yours. Once I started using a Mac, I fell in love......

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryJoe33

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I went and started update on 2 machines at almost same time, an MBP and an iMac, both were running similar HS versions. MBP update went just fine but iMac stuck to "Calculating Time Remaining" screen. After waiting for about 15 minutes and reading this thread, I began to think about what could be different between my machines. Both machines have an external USB disk connected for Time Machine backups. But iMac has also an Scarlett USB sound-card, another external monitor and had my iPhone also connected. As soon as I unplugged iPhone, sound-card and external hard drive and closed my external monitor installation started to progress! For what I can tell, it felt that it was almost immediately after unplugging external harddrive that it finally said "19 minutes remaining" instead of "...Calculating Time Remaining..." So for me, unplugging USB devices helped. And update then finished without problems.

This works!!! Every update with HS I’ve had this problem of it getting stuck, so resorted to using the downloaded updates instead. But for the supplemental update I bit the bullet and decided to just use the Mac App Store.... such a tiny update, what can go wrong? And whaddya know.... got stuck again. I waited... and waited. Must have been a good 20mn with the progress bar frozen and with a "calculating time remaining" which wouldn't update.

Disconnected the external hard drives.. nothing happened. Then I unplugged my phone and as soon as I did that an actual "time remaining" appeared, the installation resumed and completed in just a few minutes.

So something about having external devices plugged in is causing the installation to freeze or at least calculating time remaining to not update.

Whatever the case, your post should be a sticky! I've sent a bug report to Apple about this.

Last edited:

Apfelweie

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
same here... thanks for the help guys :)

Stuck @ calculating, Mac Mini, hooked with external data drive and my iPad IV... disconnected the iPad and the update finished installing, auto-restart and all good :cool:

GrenadaV

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
I started the install over an hour ago, and it is stuck at the apple log and with a progress bar about 30% and a message below stating “installation is in progress: Calculating TIme Reaming. It has been at this spot for probably 45 Minutes. Any suggestions. I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Model
Hi there, I started a clean install of MacOS High Sierra around 12 hours ago on my MacBook Pro 16gb ram 512gb SSD, and it is still sitting with the apple logo and the completion bar complete. What do I do, just leave it and keep waiting or roll back to another OSX version?
Unbelievable really!!
Apple used to bang on about how slow windows was to install compared to OSX (MacOS), this is by far the longest installation I have ever done!
Cheers
Rossco

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi there, I started a clean install of MacOS High Sierra around 12 hours ago on my MacBook Pro 16gb ram 512gb SSD, and it is still sitting with the apple logo and the completion bar complete. What do I do, just leave it and keep waiting or roll back to another OSX version?
Unbelievable really!!
Apple used to bang on about how slow windows was to install compared to OSX (MacOS), this is by far the longest installation I have ever done!
Cheers
Rossco
Yes, that's a bit beyond normal install time (way beyond a normal wait for a macOS install)
So, how long should you wait before giving up, and trying again (?)
I would expect a clean install (clean, for me, means an erased drive, and simply booting to the macOS installer, not including a restore of your apps and data files) should take, at most, about 45 minutes. If you don't see any movement in the progress bar, give it another 45 minutes. It it were me, I would not wait that extra 45 minutes, but no progress in 30 minutes, simply press power button to shut down. If you have the installer still attached, unplug that, then try to boot and see what happens. If it boots to your setup, taking you through the new user setup, you should be good to go. If, instead, it returns to the installer progress, give it 15 minutes to complete - unless it shows a time remaining, that again has progress. Wait that out.
Or, give up, Reboot to the installer. Erase the drive again. I like shutting down at that point, then restart once more to your installer. The drive will now have a fresh erase, so run the installer now. Should work.
I don't think you will need to erase, and the forced power off, then reboot should get you in working order after the new user setup.

GrenadaV

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
Yes, that's a bit beyond normal install time (way beyond a normal wait for a macOS install)
So, how long should you wait before giving up, and trying again (?)
I would expect a clean install (clean, for me, means an erased drive, and simply booting to the macOS installer, not including a restore of your apps and data files) should take, at most, about 45 minutes. If you don't see any movement in the progress bar, give it another 45 minutes. It it were me, I would not wait that extra 45 minutes, but no progress in 30 minutes, simply press power button to shut down. If you have the installer still attached, unplug that, then try to boot and see what happens. If it boots to your setup, taking you through the new user setup, you should be good to go. If, instead, it returns to the installer progress, give it 15 minutes to complete - unless it shows a time remaining, that again has progress. Wait that out.
Or, give up, Reboot to the installer. Erase the drive again. I like shutting down at that point, then restart once more to your installer. The drive will now have a fresh erase, so run the installer now. Should work.
I don't think you will need to erase, and the forced power off, then reboot should get you in working order after the new user setup.
Hi DeltaMac,
thanks for your response, yes my interpretation of a clean install is the same as yours, I followed what you said, and sure enough after turning off and removing the installer, restarted and it booted up fine, however, I did not get a new user setup, I went straight to my loin pswd and it started up in Yosemite, so it never really installed at all.
Strange....
Back to the start I think

GrenadaV

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
Hi DeltaMac,
thanks for your response, yes my interpretation of a clean install is the same as yours, I followed what you said, and sure enough after turning off and removing the installer, restarted and it booted up fine, however, I did not get a new user setup, I went straight to my loin pswd and it started up in Yosemite, so it never really installed at all.
Strange....
Back to the start I think
Well, I decided I would do a clean install of OSX Yosemite, then before installing any apps, upgrade to Hi Sierra, which so far has taken only about 30 minutes..........bit of a workaround, but it worked.
SHould have thought of that in the first place, although, you would think a clean install of Hi Sierra would not be such a drama, Yosemite only took about 12 minutes to install!
Will update this when the full install of HS is complete...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Likely just a glitch during the HS install. You are correct, the initial install of Yosemite wasn't needed - it was just a work-around to make you feel better.
Glad you got that working now.

GrenadaV

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
Likely just a glitch during the HS install. You are correct, the initial install of Yosemite wasn't needed - it was just a work-around to make you feel better.
Glad you got that working now.
Thanks DeltaMac,
Yep, got sick of waiting for HS installation to work. After I had tried it 3 times. Using the upgrade option it took about 28 minutes for HS to install completely, much better.
Yes, it also made me feel better :)

JULIETTE SMITH

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2018

Hi Guys, I finally found a fix for this issue.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH... DID THE TRICK FOR ME TOO!!! PRATEEK90, YOU REALLY SAVED THE DAY... WELL DONE.

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:

I know this is the 10.13 thread but had this problem today updating to Mojave 10.14 and this was the solution that saved me after I gave up on the Installation in Progress screen after 3 hours on my iMac. Took two hard reboots but eventually some combination of Command-Option-R and waiting for a spinning globe to stop spinning, I got to the recovery screen where I choose install new copy of Mac OS. That relaunched the Mojave install process. Was worried that meant a clean install but all it did was upgrade the OS as originally desired. All seems to be working normal now. Thank you!

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Tate98

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I’m stuck in the install reboot loop. I’m assuming I need a wired keyboard in order to get into recovery mode? I’m trying to upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra.

RichDFM

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
Flower Mound TX
There are multiple postings on this topic without clear conclusion of root cause. I updated our iMac to Mojave recently and had problems, [that are now solved]. The users in this forum are always helpful, but I did not find clear answer to this issue anywhere. The install appeared to get stuck at about 75% complete and then sit with no progress for hours. (4-5 hours) At one point I did a hard power down and made matters worse. Apple support had me reload Mojave from the web, but again it got stuck at 75% . Apple support told me to bring system to Genius bar for service, but I opted to wait and let it try to complete on its own. Amazingly, overnight, the install did complete on its own. It appears to have completed mid-night, thus probably 8 to 10 hours run time. Although no firm conclusion here, I now suspect this was caused by the large Drobo server attached to the Thunderbolt port. The Drobo has about 20 TB of space with about 10TB consumed by photos. (this is professional photographer's system) . My GUESS, is that the install is going OK, but then the OS is doing some sort of validating data on all connected drives. So my advice would be DISCONNECT any Drobo or other RAID type drives before doing an OS upgrade such as Mojave. I won't try this again until the next Mac OS, but will definitely disconnect the RAID drive (Drobo in this case) first. Notably on the Drobo site, after the fact, I notice they recommend shutting down the Drobo before doing the Mojave update. I did the update on my Macbook without issue, so the variable here appears to be the Drobo array. I'm interested in anybody with technical experience whether this is the root cause. So maybe I'm just dumb, but you don't think of these things until after the fact. I hope this helps somebody.

maurobzz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019

Hello guys,

It did not worked out for me.

Once I am in recovery mode, when I want to run First Aid for Macintosh HD it does not allow me. Macintosh HD letters are on grey color and when I click it says "Macintosh HD not mounted".

Any solution for this?

sramabadran

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
[doublepost=1506426722][/doublepost]I've been stuck with the bar at 30% and the message "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." for about 7 hours. Has anyone had a successful install after this amount of time? I'm running a 2015 Macbook Pro with a 1TB SSD drive.
[doublepost=1563917164][/doublepost]I'm upgrading from mountain lion (late 2014 macbook) to Mojave. Its been sitting 5 hours too. I suspect its converting the 1Tb SSD to APFS. How long did your update take in the end ?

VetDoc

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2020
CVCA
I have a MacBook Pro 2.44Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 500Gb ROM i5 build late 2011, the installation in progress got stuck at 60% it’s been 9 hours, how much longer I have to wait. . . Any ideas Forum?

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro 2.44Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 500Gb ROM i5 build late 2011, the installation in progress got stuck at 60% it’s been 9 hours, how much longer I have to wait. . . Any ideas Forum?
You do not indicate what you are try to install. Is it Mojave, Catalina, ?. Did you check if the software is compatible with your computer? Nevertheless , 9 hours seems awfully long. Maybe you should abort it.

VetDoc

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2020
CVCA
You do not indicate what you are try to install. Is it Mojave, Catalina, ?. Did you check if the software is compatible with your computer? Nevertheless , 9 hours seems awfully long. Maybe you should abort it.
Sorry my bad, was traying to reinstall high sierra, to late computer OS got corrupted

Arnav Dhumane

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
anyone with hackintosh here..
Btw While Installing Hackintosh I Waited For 1 HR Then The Bar Moved And Then "a minute Remaning" Message Came.
So Be Patient And Let It Do Its Works :)

dimal1985

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
I have a solution which worked in my case, hope it could help anyone else.
I have MacBookPro 8.1 (Late 2011) with 16GB of RAM, and did memory upgrade before reinstallation of the system.
After I ran Apple Network Hardware Test (Option + D) I discovered problems with memory and taked out one of my 8GB memory card. Officially supported amount of RAM for my Mac model is 8GB.
Then I reinstalled system without any stucks or permission errors.

Before I did this, I also tried to wipe my SSD with APFS using disk utility (stucks as in topic or returns errors with permissions), tried to step-by-step upgrade from clean install of Lion 10.7 to Sierra 10.12 but no way to upgrade higher than 10.12 (the last supported version for my Mac is High Sierra 10.13), but nothing helped until I did the RAM change.

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.