Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Yay, good for you! AppleCare has been of great help to me too.
Apple itself on the other hand... hard to believe what level they've sunken to.
Out of my 7 (macOS 10.13 + iOS11) upgrades only 2 actually worked: my iPhone SE and iPad Pro 10.5.

Wow that pretty bad. This first time install failed my Mac. Thankfully so far all my iOS device never failed yet. Hope continue be fine in future. To be honest Apple do slip little over small tiny details. Little details that don't quite match up, etc. They used obsessed over tiny details. Wait see what future happen. I seriously doubt go back Windows (they just awful and I have to use them work everyday) and I seriously doubt go Android either (My mum used have android mobile and so many problems I need fix for her. Some part Samsung fault, some part network/carrier fault and some android fault). I hope Apple will improve and start obsessed tiny details again.

CapeTownMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008

Hi Guys, I finally found a fix for this issue.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:
I had the same issue and followed this procedure (except I plugged in ethernet directly rather than Wifi) and it worked for me. It took a lot less time. It was a bit nerve wracking because I thought that selecting a new Web Install of Mac would install a clean copy but it did the upgrade and everything was where it was before. One nuance that may be worth mentioning is that when you choose to install a new copy it gives you a choice of two volumes - you should choose your main drive rather than the recovery drive (I think the recovery drive may be greyed out anyway but I found it a bit confusing).

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Wow that pretty bad. This first time install failed my Mac. Thankfully so far all my iOS device never failed yet. Hope continue be fine in future. To be honest Apple do slip little over small tiny details. Little details that don't quite match up, etc. They used obsessed over tiny details. Wait see what future happen. I seriously doubt go back Windows (they just awful and I have to use them work everyday) and I seriously doubt go Android either (My mum used have android mobile and so many problems I need fix for her. Some part Samsung fault, some part network/carrier fault and some android fault). I hope Apple will improve and start obsessed tiny details again.
I'm not holding my breath for Apple turning back into what it used to be. Instead of focus, Apple has clearly chosen to make easy bucks. If I were, say, ten years younger, I would most certainly have switched to Windows by now. Unfortunately, I'm too deep into Apple's "eco-system", or better yet "emoji-system" :D

Googooboyy

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
I did what Prateek90 originally suggested and as others have mentioned, and my iMac 27" is back running again. Posting this so that more experience is shared around town.

Earlier my iMac 27" got stuck at the same screen after choosing to update High Sierra (HS), and after waiting for 2 hours, I decided to act on it cos I wasn't prepared to wait 24hours for just an update.

Notes: After Prateek's Step4, you'll be able to log into your mac, answer a few security setup questions, and you'll find all your files and desktop back intact (haven't the time to explore everything on my drive yet, but I believe all 280GB of data on my 1TB HD is faithfully intact!). It's now HS, MacOs Ver10.13.

Summary: All in all, this 'alternative route' took around 35-40mins and was smooth AF. I keep wondering along the way, have Apple become the brand new old behemoth, that was M$?

norbie2468

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernel commands. Got me really scared as I didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing any data. :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again but this time in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time (10 minutes or so) to finish this process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I don't know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick and it didn't freeze anywhere.)

I think the Internet recovery thing does something to fix this issue. My mac is now upgraded to High Sierra with all my files intact. :cool::cool:
[doublepost=1509098130][/doublepost]Thanks a million for posting this. I haven't seen it anywhere else and it saved my Macbook air.

Reactions: Prateek90

harry555

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I always wait now at least 6 months after any Apple software release due to their terrible reputation for releasing heavily bugged 1st release "upgrades" - and still I've been caught by this shoddy release!

Apple has become as lazy and shoddy as Microsoft - rushing any old crap out there and getting users to Beta test their junk!

nearly 2 hours on "calculating ...." screen, do i close the screen or not? - thanks, Apple, your reputation for quality software is a distant memory!

UPDATE : gave up waiting and restarted, had to follow Prateek90's excellent notes (cheers dude), after the bizarre double installation, I'm finally back working - only about 8 hours wasted thanks, Apple - to some of us, "Time is Money!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prateek90

norbie2468

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
If nothing's happened after 2 hours nothing will, follow existing reply to re-boot your system, that's what I've done and I am now running High Sierra. All the best.

Prateek90

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I always wait now at least 6 months after any Apple software release due to their terrible reputation for releasing heavily bugged 1st release "upgrades" - and still I've been caught by this shoddy release!

Apple has become as lazy and shoddy as Microsoft - rushing any old crap out there and getting users to Beta test their junk!

nearly 2 hours on "calculating ...." screen, do i close the screen or not? - thanks, Apple, your reputation for quality software is a distant memory!

UPDATE : gave up waiting and restarted, had to follow Prateek90's excellent notes (cheers dude), after the bizarre double installation, I'm finally back working - only about 8 hours wasted thanks, Apple - to some of us, "Time is Money!!

You are welcome dude :)

TJallen

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
NYC

[doublepost=1512086667][/doublepost]U r super cool super dude - have gone a week without my iMac, stuck on “path /System/Installation/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged.” Terminal said not found. Read dozens of possible solutions, tried a few that didn’t work, then YOURS. Devil of a time getting it to let me in to Internet Recovery Mode, but kept at it for a while, and once I got into Internet Recovery Mode and followed your instructions, 2 hours later I’m in full operation with High Sierra, data intact (I had not backed up to Time Machine in more than three months). WOW all those crazy solutions I read - yours was simplest AND IT WORKED.

jimxc

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
same issue here on a 2015 MBP. going to try the fix suggested. it has been stuck for 15hours. Had put off this update for months and months partly due to time. successfully updates parallels desktop 10 to 13 yesterday and thought so far so good, lets do HS. Havent done a time machine since september. Typical. i'll see how the fix from prateek goes. everything crossed!

MAStephens

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Completely disillusioned with Apple - Lost 6 hours installing HS a few weeks ago - now stuck in a calculating time remaining for over an hour not really sure if it's just stuck or still working . . . in what I thought would be a quick update. I don't have time for this. 4 more macs in the office I'm afraid to even begin upgrading to HS. If these things are going to start running like PC's I might as well just buy PC's . . . . screen just went black Yay . . . **** . . . Happy Friday Apple. We're killing time waiting throwing darts at our Tim Cook Dart board . . .

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Whew! My update to 10.13.1 seemed stuck at "calculating time remaining". 1st update post High Sierra and was worried when it seemed stuck. After perhaps 15 minutes it finished and now all is well. I am so glad I was able to find this thread again - it calmed my concerns about a possible update gone bad.

Aranby

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2017
Mid 2010 MacBook installation over Mavericks ..... After trying for 2 days I finally succeeded by booting (Start+Option) to a High Sierra installer USB disk. Since I had backups of any important files and software I also erased and reformatted the HD to macOS Extended(Journaled), an installation onto a clean disk. I think a clean HD made the installation faster and it also cleared out years of old junk files and software. Sure was glad when it completed.

Last edited:

aromanio

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018

I just created an account to say that this method fixed my issue as well, without losing my files (forgot to backup before). Thank you!

NeitherReal

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
Having a long weekend available to me, as well as an over abundance of curiosity, I allowed a MacBook Pro's High Sierra upgrade to sit at "Installation is in progress: Calculating Time Remaining" for 92 hours. After the installer made no further progress in that time, I resorted to Internet recovery (Option+Command+R) to install the upgrade, successfully.

I offer this in case anyone wonders if maybe they should give the installer just a little more time. Past a certain point, a point much closer to a couple hours than a couple days, no. Instead, just accept the installation as failed and move ahead with recovery.

HeP

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
I went and started update on 2 machines at almost same time, an MBP and an iMac, both were running similar HS versions. MBP update went just fine but iMac stuck to "Calculating Time Remaining" screen. After waiting for about 15 minutes and reading this thread, I began to think about what could be different between my machines. Both machines have an external USB disk connected for Time Machine backups. But iMac has also an Scarlett USB sound-card, another external monitor and had my iPhone also connected. As soon as I unplugged iPhone, sound-card and external hard drive and closed my external monitor installation started to progress! For what I can tell, it felt that it was almost immediately after unplugging external harddrive that it finally said "19 minutes remaining" instead of "...Calculating Time Remaining..." So for me, unplugging USB devices helped. And update then finished without problems.

Reactions: adnbek

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I started the install over an hour ago and it is stuck at the apple log and with a progress bar about 30% and a message below stating “installation is in progress: Calculating TIme Reaming. It has been at this spot for probably 45 Minutes. Any suggestions. I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Model
[doublepost=1519138270][/doublepost]Same problem with High Sierra bug fix. Stuck exactly same place while calculating time. Rebooted after 2 hours, and it got back to the same place. I guess I'll wait a few more hours.

RangerTod

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018
Arkansas

THIS WORKED FOR ME ALSO! THANK YOU! (mine did three installs, though)

A few additional observations from my experience (I have a 2015 Mac mini):

1. When I read up on Internet Recovery, it says it restores the OS that your Mac came with from the factory. I was worried I would have to go back to that, then upgrade back up to High Sierra. That did not happen. It upgraded to High Sierra, just like Prateek90 said.

2. Mine actually did three installs, all on its own. When it got down to "3 min left" on the first install, it went to a black screen. It stayed quiet and on a black screen for quite awhile, maybe 5 min or so. I was beginning to sweat, when the Apple logo came up and it started the second install.

3. My second install took much longer than the first one. The first was maybe 15 min, but the second was closer to 30 min. The progress bar eventually looked like it was complete, but it still said "17 min remaining". It went black at that point.

4. The third install then started after sitting for a couple of minutes with a black screen. It started with just an Apple logo and progress bar and no text. It ran this way for perhaps 5 minutes, then text popped up saying "16 min remaining". It then took about 15 min to finish the install. It then, finally, fully came up and I was back running in High Sierra.

5. The first time I opened a large XLS spreadsheet, it took several minutes for it to open. Not sure why. It finally did open, and all current data appeared to be there.

6. I use Trend Micro anti-virus, and it said I needed to upgrade in order to be compatible with the version of the operating system I was running. I did the "update now", and it appeared to load the latest updates, but it still would not start Trend Micro, still giving me the "need to update" message. So I restarted my Mac, which took much longer than usual, maybe 5 min. I'm still working on getting it updated...

6. What a quirky way to get an OS to install!! I'm really grateful to Prateek90 for sharing this, but I feel for all of the folks that have to go through the stress of this.

Plexy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2018
I started the install over an hour ago and it is stuck at the apple log and with a progress bar about 30% and a message below stating “installation is in progress: Calculating TIme Reaming. It has been at this spot for probably 45 Minutes. Any suggestions. I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Model

This is 22. Feb. 2018. I have started an upgrade on my iMAC (2013). I've got the same blank screen Apple logo with progress bar around 75%. After an hour later it's started to counting "Time remaining 18 minutes..." ... Here is the funny thing: After 5 minutes later it says the same "Calculating time remaining..."
The progress bar at the same (75%).

Summa: After 25 minutes it has been restarted with no issues :))

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
This is 22. Feb. 2018. I have started an upgrade on my iMAC (2013). I've got the same blank screen Apple logo with progress bar around 75%. After an hour later it's started to counting "Time remaining 18 minutes..." ... Here is the funny thing: After 5 minutes later it says the same "Calculating time remaining..."
The progress bar at the same (75%).

Summa: After 25 minutes it has been restarted with no issues :))
Whew!

Macmemsb

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Chandigarh
Yea same issue here out of 4 macs only 1 finishes without issue Mac mini. My MacBook Pro 2015, MacBook Air 2015 and another Mac mini all are hung up I’m gonna hard restart 1 just to see what happens. Luckily I did a time machine backup just before update
Would love to hear if you were successful since you were working on 4 machines. Mine is stuck at 31 seconds remaining for the last 6 hours!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
After more than 6 hours, I think you can safely assume that your install progress is stuck.
Press and hold the power button until your Mac shuts off.
Press and release power again to boot. It should complete the job this time.
If not, boot to your HS installer, and try the install again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.