Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Anyone else having this problem? It's been stuck for over 20 mins now on an early 2013 retina macbook pro.

Bee70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Was the installation completed for you guys? For me it's been stuck like this for about an hour.

Thanks.

Bee70

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Interesting just after I submitted the post it progressed. Now it says 'less than a minute ago' #

grahammccarthy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Same Situation Here

Hello,
I have the same situation. I have a MacBookPro Retina Late 2013, and my Yosemite install says 5 minutes remaining....

Should I restart? is there a way to get back to Mavericks if this isn't going to happen? eek.

Scarphac3

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
My total installation time said 22 minutes but it took about an hour for it to actually install

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello,
I have the same situation. I have a MacBookPro Retina Late 2013, and my Yosemite install says 5 minutes remaining....

Should I restart? is there a way to get back to Mavericks if this isn't going to happen? eek.

If you have to ask, you never should have installed the beta.

emielvangoor

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I'm stuck on 4 minutes remaining also, for about 4 hours! :eek: :p

I see in the log that the installer is doing 'things' with all my files, I see a lot of "(NodeOp) Move "/volumes/............". Hope he will finish... some day... :D

Nr90

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
It's been hours for me as well.
The installer is taking ages to move my texlive and ruby stuff.
If you've got a lot of stuff in /usr/local/, take a nap or something #

lupas

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Don't give up guys!

I waited more than 2.5 hours on "4 Minutes left", then it finished and now it works great.

Totally worth the wait, I love the new design :)

ycrepeau

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Montréal QC
5 hours, expecting another 40 hours.

Checking the installation log, the installer started, 5 hours ago, to copy /usr/local sub directories one file at a time.

I have made an average of 10 files copied per second.

Since I have installed a lot of stuff in the /usr/local directory using Homebrew, added a lot of gems in my Ruby of Rails projects and use rvm to manage many versions of Ruby, I have a lot of these tiny files. Just with Latex or X-Windows packages and the dependency packages, there is more than 1.3 million files.

So, 40 hours to wait.

One issue (question) remains: what happened when the installer log shared buffer has reached its limit (128 x 1024 lines): did the installer continue to copy files or the logger creates an exception capable to stop the whole process?

Soyouzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Seems to be the same for me...
How can I access the log? What happens if I reboot now?

szxly1

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Seems to be the same for me...
How can I access the log? What happens if I reboot now?

It will restart the installation from the beginning.

I did the reboot when I lost my patience. Now, I stuck at "About 4 minutes remaining" again and have waited about 1 hour .

I will wait patiently this time.

ldmbouge

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Same here

I've been stuck at "4 minutes remaining" for near 4 hours now. And that's on a macbook air.

deadmantyping

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Just hang in there. As ycrepeau pointed out, it seems to be related to an inefficient copying of files into /usr/local.

For reference, it took ~8 hours before mine finished (mid-2010 iMac), but I have 600k files in my /usr/local (combination of homebrew and texlive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.