Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansumuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
I had one Mac with barely anything on it but OS X 10.10, it got stuck at 11 minutes remaining. 75% of 140 Macs here have done that. I’ve left machines over a week, they won't wait it out! I think I’ve found the cause. It’s Macs that have the root user account enabled that will hang, if you look at the log it says "Transferring Documents for System Administrator", this is NOT the "admin" account we create, it's referring instead to the "root" user.

How to fix? Boot recovery partition, launch terminal, navigate to your hd, usually “CD /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD”, go into Recovered Items “CD Recovered\ Items” and delete all folders starting with a lower case letter, usually bin, sbin, var, and usr. Don’t delete the others. Type “Reboot” and let it boot the failed HD, now just install OS X El Capitan, it will work every time.

How to avoid in the first place? Maybe disable the root account from the Directory Utility BEFORE upgrading to El Capitan.

lleach823

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2018
Anyone else having this problem? It's been stuck for over 20 mins now on an early 2013 retina macbook pro.
Mine's been stuck there for five days. But Imo leave the forum. I keep getting give it more time, or, I keep seeing the same useless instructions over and over again . . . for five days. Imo smash the machine on the seventh day. Plz forgive me if I sound frustrated.
[doublepost=1521702295][/doublepost]
It will restart the installation from the beginning.

I did the reboot when I lost my patience. Now, I stuck at "About 4 minutes remaining" again and have waited about 1 hour .

I will wait patiently this time.
I've been waiting patiently for five days. Still stuck. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.