Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I'm stuck on "1 minute remaining" on a 2009 Mac Mini. Decided to sleep the night on it. Hopefully it will be installed in the morning.

zoltanradics

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Budapest
Stuck in 'About 2 minutes remaining'

I stuck in 2 minutes remaining for an hour. After forced restart is the same so i think i should waitn until finished. I have tons of NPM NodeJS modules and web development files so it may will be for a while.

zoltanradics

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Budapest
The estimated time clock on the Yosemite installer seems to have been coded by the Windows Vista team.

This might be be price of "An exciting new look" :apple:

winxp_rc1_rev_01.gif

boopathi

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Have been stuck here for an entire day now

The installation got stuck at 3 minutes remaining for over 2 hours. Lost patience and rebooted the system, It started with 59 minutes remaining, and got stuck again at 3 minutes remaining for over 3 hours now.

The last log line in the Installer Log:
Container dmg is missing universal diagnostics. This install will continue attempting to preserve existing diagnostic software...

Help required.

2012 Macbook pro

zoltanradics

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Budapest
The installation got stuck at 3 minutes remaining for over 2 hours. Lost patience and rebooted the system, It started with 59 minutes remaining, and got stuck again at 3 minutes remaining for over 3 hours now.

The last log line in the Installer Log:
Container dmg is missing universal diagnostics. This install will continue attempting to preserve existing diagnostic software...

Help required.

2012 Macbook pro

It was the same for me. Stucked aprox. 1 hrs in 'Remaining 2 minutes', than forced restart and it took something like 2 hrs and now its fine. You have to be patient it will be sorted out for sure!

boopathi

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
/usr/local is the culprit

If you have too many files in your /usr/local directory, then Moving them from /Volumes/Image Volume/Recovere Items/usr/local/... to actual location takes time.

You can check the logs from Window->Log.

So it looks like we just have to wait it out.

riosgra89

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I've installed the release version. It got stucked in one minute remaining. After an hourlong it was done. Just be patient

bright guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Could Skype be the culprit?

Just hang in there. As ycrepeau pointed out, it seems to be related to an inefficient copying of files into /usr/local.

For reference, it took ~8 hours before mine finished (mid-2010 iMac), but I have 600k files in my /usr/local (combination of homebrew and texlive).

The progress bar on my MBP is stuck at ~50%... has been for ~4 hours.

Funny thing is, I heard the Skype startup chime during install. Maybe because Skype is one of my Login Items? I've read other forums about Skype crashing Yosemite, after installation. Could Skype have crashed the install?

I'm tempted to shut down???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
b

rikk1105

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Is anyone stuck on the screen with the installation bar and the Apple logo? I have been stUK on here for over an hour.

zshuaibin

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Checking the installation log, the installer started, 5 hours ago, to copy /usr/local sub directories one file at a time.

I have made an average of 10 files copied per second.

Since I have installed a lot of stuff in the /usr/local directory using Homebrew, added a lot of gems in my Ruby of Rails projects and use rvm to manage many versions of Ruby, I have a lot of these tiny files. Just with Latex or X-Windows packages and the dependency packages, there is more than 1.3 million files.

So, 40 hours to wait.

One issue (question) remains: what happened when the installer log shared buffer has reached its limit (128 x 1024 lines): did the installer continue to copy files or the logger creates an exception capable to stop the whole process?

I have the same problem. did you finish your installer? my log tells me 'installer log shared buffer is full'. am I just wait?

rikk1105

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Mine finally loaded. I went into safe mode and it automatically finished installing. But now I am trying to get my parallels to work.

jrrk100

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Stuck between a big rock and a hard place

When I tried to upgrade in place, I found the installer got stuck for some hours with 2 minutes remaining. At the recommendation of AppleCare, I restarted and tried to install using the recovery menu. This failed so I tried memory stick install. This worked but the migration assistant carried on running all night and in the morning it still said 12 hours remaining. By lunchtime this had climbed to 120 hours, so what do you think I did ? Killed the machine and reinstalled Mavericks from time machine backup in a mere 5 hours. I did not know about command-L to get the log nor did applecare suggest it.

So my opinion this, this a late beta and not production code. Just ignore it for production use if you care about your data. For a brand new machine it's probably fine though. So I have wasted two days and consider myself lucky to have not lost any more.

Lupino

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Installation Frozen

I'm in the installation of OSX Yosemite and it's stuck on 10 minutes remaining, but the screen is frozen completely. I tried rebooting and trying again and gets stuck again. I tried CMD:L but that didn't do anything. Anyone else got this problem?

jrrk100

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I encountered this problem twice and it was solved by installing from memory stick. However this solution is no good unless you have a time-machine backup of your data.The problem I encountered was with the slowness of time machine restore.

To make the memory stick proceed as follows (on a working mac with the Yosemite app downloaded)

Use disk utility to format a memory stick of minimum 8GB with GUID partition table option and volume name Yosemite.

Invoke the following (all on one line) from a terminal window:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Yosemite --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

the volume name will change to /Volumes/Install OS X Yosemite automatically and it just needs ejecting with apple-E and you are ready to boot from it in the victim mac

You really don't want to try this upgrade unless you already have a time machine backup !

Last edited:

Jonel2014

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Mine stuck ever since I've seen "Installing on Macintosh HD ... About 18 minutes remaining"
It's been over 2 hours now. What am I gonna do? Anyone could help, please? Btw, mine's a Macbook Air 13"

jrrk100

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Time machine in Yosemite

Rumor has it that slow install is due to having large numbers of file in /usr/local which normally is empty unless you use a command such as brew to install extra FOSS. This is no help if you already started the install however, unless you have a time machine backup to revert to. Also migration assistant takes hundreds of hours to restore from time machine, instead of the usual 5 or so. I guess they rushed this out to take advantage of iPay etc. Feels like Apple's version of Windows Vista. I have had no feedback from Apple about my concerns, perhaps they went to /dev/null :)

Having suffered a terminal error I tried to install 10.10 and all went well till I started migration assistant to recover my files. This just got stuck on starting up for hours, I also tried time machine and after grinding away with massive churning for at least 30 minutes displayed a blank window with nothing to restore. You would have thought they could have kept some compatibility code in there to keep old devices working, my time machine backups only go back two years. This is just the sort of behaviour we know and love from M$, frankly it is unacceptable to lose all your data, regardless of any new features offered to encourage the upgrade.

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I don't remember how long it took. But 4 minutes is never 4 minutes. Its always like that. But eventually it finally worked. It even installed on my SD card (the sandisk I have is 95mbs). Didn't take long but eventually it worked. Seems frozen but it moves eventually. Just give it time. Mine did the same thing twice.

Jonel2014

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
It worked! :D I tried to reboot it in the middle of the stuck installation, then when it restarted it asked me to install it on my drive. It only took less than 15 mins and it was already at more than 50% (4 mins remaining)... All in all, I've only waited for 30 mins after the reboot.
Thanks anyway...

Djrodd

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
I got stuck on the 22 minutes left starting maybe 10pm last night. Slept next to my 2012 MacBook Pro, woke up and now I'm at the gray screen with an apple and a gray progress bar at 50%...

So it's been about 17hours now... What should I do?

Pudlo

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
from Tex site:

"We have two reports from users who updated from Mavericks to Yosemite rather than installing Yosemite on a fresh disk partition. Both users report that when the installation was almost complete, there was a long delay with no feedback: one hour in one case and twelve hours in another. During this delay, the installer's log file reported that it was copying TeX Live files one by one from "/Volumes/Hard Disk/Recovered Items/usr/local/texlive" to "/Volumes/Hard Disk/usr/local/texlive"."
"A colleague tells me that the way to update to Yosemite, with one or more TeX installations installed, is to first

mv /usr/local/texlive ~
do the install, then
mv ~/texlive /usr/local
"This avoids the installer archiving then re-installing that hierarchy *file-by-file*. This kind of approach may be useful with other subdirectories of /usr/local as well."

This solution moves the texlive directory to the User's home directory, installs Yosemite, and then moves the texlive directory back to its proper location. In more detail, the appropriate commands are as follows (spaces in these commands are essential, so copying the commands may work better than retyping them):

sudo mv /usr/local/texlive ~
install Yosemite
sudo mv ~/texlive /usr/local

jrrk100

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Yosemite woes

I have had several long chats with AppleCare and there seems to be a degree of ignorance about what is causing the problem. One guy was adamant that if Mavericks had been reinstalled the upgrade would proceed with no problem. A second guy suggested copying all the user files to a backup disk, installing from scratch, then reinstalling the applications one by one was the way to go (I haven't tried this suggestion for obvious reasons).

The consensus appeared to be that Yosemite is doing some elaborate checking on your files/applications during the upgrade to assess compatibility with Yosemite. The idea is to move incompatible apps into a separate folder so that they do not interfere with proper operation. This checker is not robust enough to cope with developer installs such as brew and/or latex and chokes leading to a long install time (or perhaps hanging completely)

If you install on a blank disk the same checking happens when you try to migrate your previous content using migration assistant.

If you try to restore from time machine then a very long wait will ensue. I am not clear if these methods will ultimately succeed. I have about a terabyte of random stuff on my mac including several versions of Xcode, brew and latex.

Personally unless you have a vital reason to upgrade, I would recommend putting off the upgrade until Apple comes out with a fix (if you can make them listen, that is).
THERE IS A BIG RISK OF DATA LOSS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TIME MACHINE BACKUP http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.png

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I waited about 15 hours on an rMBP then eventually gave up and force-rebooted. Then it was fine. But on my desktop, I tried force-rebooting after a few hours, and it just goes back into the installer. According to the log, it's copying a bunch of "recovered items" from texlive and my Homebrew cellar into directories in my /usr folder. Ugh.

----------

This checker is not robust enough to cope with developer installs such as brew and/or latex and chokes leading to a long install time (or perhaps hanging completely)

Looks like it. It's infuriating that this is going on just because of a compatibility checker whose results I'll just ignore anyway. I could have saved myself by moving the files out ahead of time, as the TeX site said to do, but I forgot. And now my hard drive isn't bootable, so I'm stuck waiting for this to finally complete.

And I NEED to update to use the latest Xcode! Otherwise, I'd still be at Mountain Lion, haha.

jrrk100

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I got the upgrade to work by using
sudo mv /usr/local -
prior to the upgrade. It still takes 50 times longer than the progress bar estimates though.
I have MacTex and brew installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.