Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I've been on 4 mins for two hours now. after reading this I decided to try opening the log. It's now been beachballing for about 30m.

I have a ton of Ruby and homebrew packages installed. Likely too many. Think I'm going to be here for a while.

gerdroesser

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
Same problem here!:(
Already waiting for nearly eight hours...
Have GNUoctave and TEXlive with a ton of extras installed.
Any news from the others here around?

Last edited:

gerdroesser

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
Some news from Germany:
Now, after more than 14 hours the so-called "progress" bar moved!
It now tells me "less than one minute" which means that installation might be finished in two or three hours... ;)

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Some news from Germany:
Now, after more than 14 hours the so-called "progress" bar moved!
It now tells me "less than one minute" which means that installation might be finished in two or three hours... ;)
Any luck? I'm up to 20 hours at the 7-minute mark.

I'm curious -- I have a Transcend 960 GB drive, mostly full (~600G iPhoto library). You guys think the big drive might be the problem?

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
After 21 hours at "7 minutes remaining" I bailed out & rebooted. YAY!

On reboot it tells me the installation will take 19 minutes (the first time it'd said 50-something). Nineteen minutes later, I'm up & running Yosemite.

Moral: If it's hung for hours "hang in there" may not be your best answer.

Teddkenn

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Took your advice after hanging at 7 minutes remains for 4 hours. One reboot and 20 minutes later and Yosemite is installed and working great.

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Like others, it took nearly an hour. It essentially copied texlive from /usr/local/ to /Volumes/'diskName'/usr/local. In the end, it was in both places, and no issues yet with tex for me.

I imagine that by the time it gets to the production version, this kink will get worked out.

If you are curious as to what is going on, if you put your mouse at the top of the screen during the Yosemite install, you will see the menu bar, and can open a log window.

eyseman

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
same problem here. I got stuck at "4 minutes". It really is my TeX installation. Maybe I should have removed it before upgrading ;)

jimmason

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
Hertfordshire
Took me around an hour to install, said 22 minutes but much longer, there were a number of pauses as it installed but installed okay in the end.

luisteran

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
I finally passed the 5 min remain message. Now I am stuck on a progress bat when booting the Mac. It got stuck on 50%. No progress since couple of hours. Any suggestion? Reboot?

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Took almost 8 hours to install on USB stick. Slower than hell when it restarted itself could not do anything. Finally got to desktop but still very unresponsive. I'm back on Maveriks where I will stay until Yosemite is final. Bad experience and I am not a newbie.

Umangcha

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Hi... I have a 2008 MacBook Air and am having too much trouble installing Yosemite... The install started off by saying 22 minutes remaining but was taking too long... I left it on overnight but when I got up in the morning it hadn't even reached halfway! Please help! Thanks.

thecrowvancity

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
not working..

My install goes about halfway... turns solid grey.. and the machine turns off. Does anyone know a way to abort the install?

Maverick Maxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
My installation of OS X yosemite is stuck on a blackscreen with apple logo and white status bar under it. Its more than an hour now that it is stuck here. I have no clue what should I do now. Can someone suggest a way to get out of this? Thanks

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
My installation of OS X yosemite is stuck on a blackscreen with apple logo and white status bar under it. Its more than an hour now that it is stuck here. I have no clue what should I do now. Can someone suggest a way to get out of this? Thanks

Same problem. 2011 iMac stuck at white screen with black logo and progress bar stuck at 50% for over an hour.

dday216

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
We're you guys beachballing or not!! I have been at 11 min for about 3 hours with a beachball the whole time

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I've been stuck at "About 2 minutes remaining" for well over an hour. rMBP.

No beach ball. No indication of life at all, actually...

The mouse responds, I guess that's something. Starting to miss a spinning hard drive-- at least when you heard it ticking you knew something was happening.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I've been stuck at "About 2 minutes remaining" for well over an hour. rMBP.

No beach ball. No indication of life at all, actually...

The mouse responds, I guess that's something. Starting to miss a spinning hard drive-- at least when you heard it ticking you knew something was happening.

Did you read this thread at all? Open the log file to see what it's doing.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If you move the mouse to the top of the screen, the menu bar appears and under the Window menu is an option to see the log file.

I'll have to wait to find out what's stalling me because, though plugged in, the magsafe wasn't actually charing the machine and it powered itself down...

Did you read this thread at all? Open the log file to see what it's doing.
It's the humanity that keeps bringing me back to these forums.

In response to your kind inquiry: I did read this thread, and saw people ask how to open the log, but no one quote the question in a response. Turns out, of course, that you're right, the answer was there it was just cleverly hidden in the 30th status report on a 5 month old beta install.

I appreciate you encouraging me to look more closely, but it would have saved me, and probably a few other people some time if you'd simply repeated the instructions on finding the log.

If you really wanted to drive home the fact that I'm an idiot, quoting the earlier post would have made your point and still performed a service.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Looks like it's the /usr/local directory and all the tex files in there...

Anybody know what it's doing? I'm tempted to tar -czf that directory on the next machine before installing, but don't want to bypass something critical...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.