Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krutselno

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
I was really hoping this was a bug, but if it has been in every beta and people have been reporting it maybe it is a "feature".... I hope not! I waited an extra date to update my phone, but if I had known about this I would have waited longer...

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I'm guessing we're stuck with this stupid keyboard then. I keep hitting the voice recorder button which is very bloody frustrating.

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in an iOS release. This is dreadful.

Reactions: simonmet

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I agree it is very frustrating, I keep hitting the emoji/language button instead instead of the number button.

I can’t believe Apple took away a feature that was useful to so many.

seagate_surfer

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Hi everybody!

Since updating to iOS11 this morning, a number of co-workers started having the exact same issue!
In no way this is a desired feature because if you start "typing" in the grey area next to the keyboard in landscape mode, it triggers the letter closest to the keyboard... for example "q" and "a" on the left side.

We encourage everyone to bug report this!

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

Thor774

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Hi everybody!

Since updating to iOS11 this morning, a number of co-workers started having the exact same issue!
In no way this is a desired feature because if you start "typing" in the grey area next to the keyboard in landscape mode, it triggers the letter closest to the keyboard... for example "q" and "a" on the left side.

We encourage everyone to bug report this!

Totally agree. Have just reported this horrible thing to Apple.
I cannot understand who would think on removing a feature that is so useful like the extended landscape keyboard! I used the extra functions all the time. They should make the change optional.

seagate_surfer

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
Cupertino, CA
We just discovered a workaround that is not only a workaround but actually an improvement:

since Apple allows 3rd party keyboards, you can go ahead and install gboard - the Google keyboard for iOS. This has already been updated to support iOS 11 and allows to entirely customize the keyboard itself as well as the language version.

That way you all got your landscape mode back without the ugly grey bars ;)

Reactions: Wondercow

Cafi69

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
Thank you so much for this thread. I thought I was going mad, must have done tens of hard resetting, restore, wiped clean, toggled on and off, you name it, now I know it's the other way round: Apple has gone bonkers. I draft whole books on my 6+ and the extended keyboard was so unbelievably useful.

Mr. Ive has lots of explaining to do!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondercow

dpilot83

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
The keyboard now has a giant blank spot on the left and right sides. It used to have arrow keys, a button to hide the keyboard, basic formatting functions and other very useful features. Now they seem to be throwing all of that space away. Seems like a terrible decision to me. I'm quite surprised there are not a bunch of threads about it. Am I the only one annoyed by it's absence?

Reactions: macfacts

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
I am looking to get an iPhone Plus and the landscape keyboard *was* one the reasons for this. I hope this is a feature that will soon return. I'm filing a bug report with Apple.

JGERARD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Yes, and I absolutely hate it!! This keyboard is almost a deal breaker for me. I would have never updated to IOS 11 if I had known this in advance. Not being able to move the curser with the arrows is my largest complaint, as I often have to delet entire sentences just to change one letter. It almost makes me want to carry a laptop everywhere I go, simply because typing on my phone is now a nightmare.

Reactions: Gavincurtis

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, and I absolutely hate it!! This keyboard is almost a deal breaker for me. I would have never updated to IOS 11 if I had known this in advance. Not being able to move the curser with the arrows is my largest complaint, as I often have to delet entire sentences just to change one letter. It almost makes me want to carry a laptop everywhere I go, simply because typing on my phone is now a nightmare.
Have you tried using 3D Touch on the keyboard to move the cursor around?

doddys82

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
this is very disappointing when apple tried to change this beautiful landscape keyboard feature into a stupid "one handed keyboard" like they said.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Have they re-integrated the original full landscape keyboard back in iOS 11.1 betas? What's with Apple removing handy features for no reason nowadays?

Look at how Apple forumers here cheer when Apple gave us back 3D Touch Multitasking in 11.1, as if they've been given a new whole feature, when it's just a matter of giving us back what they removed in the first place...

Reactions: macfacts and XT550

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
The new keyboard is much better. The last one was confusing and most people didn't understand that the buttons did.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The new keyboard is much better. The last one was confusing and most people didn't understand that the buttons did.

Maybe you didn't understand what the buttons did, but what about those people who have been using those extra side buttons on a daily basis?

MarcinRSE

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
It is not a bug..
It changed because of the notch of iPhone X. Blank space is where this notch goes. All of design changes that look weird on our phones are made because of the X

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Maybe you didn't understand what the buttons did, but what about those people who have been using those extra side buttons on a daily basis?
Try to make a keyboard yourself that pleases +1 billion users. It’s not easy.

Neither has Apple ever been about having everything optional. Then an Android is better.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Try to make a keyboard yourself that pleases +1 billion users. It’s not easy.

Neither has Apple ever been about having everything optional. Then an Android is better.
That's sidelining the point.

Whether it was the previous or current landscape keyboard, you yourself used it the same way - without using the side buttons.

But people who were making use of the extra functionality with the side buttons are now left out because it was removed.

Of course it's ok for you, since you weren't the one affected.

Reactions: Gavincurtis

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I was just defending 's business decision.

I agree it must sucks for the few of you, but being an Apple fan has always been about adapting your workflows to fit Apple's vision.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Don't like it either. Miss the location of the comma button. As well as the shift (keep hitting the stupid emoji key).

They have a blank area there -- don't see why they still couldn't put a helpful button there instead of blank spot. Reminds me of a car that just put a blank button up there because your car didn't have a particular option installed there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.