Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Others here said they got it too in the last few betas but they haven’t said if they reported it to Apple yet. I think a focus reporting would help a lot. It’s just weird how Apple hasn’t seen this obvious bug yet. Now I’m sounding like others lol.

My theory on why others aren’t aware or annoyed by this bug is simple, they don’t have a lot of outside WiFi networks saved, and not in a big city.

For example in NYC we have a lot of free WiFi and I got some saved, like my cable network WiFi. What happens is say I leave home, turn for connecting to networks, few minutes later, I’m biking around the city or driving, my phone keeps trying to connect to these networks and interrupting my music streaming or apps I’m trying to use. Each time I go to control center to disable WiFi again. Few mins later it enables again.

Eventually I get frustrated enough I go into settings and turn off WiFi completely. Then when I’m using maps, gps it’s now slow and inaccurate. So I get frustrated again and enable WiFi. It’s a annoying thing.

Keep in mind WiFi is suppose to NOT connect to networks “until tomorrow” when disabled from control center.

Anyways I’ve sent another report to Apple.

I believe when you click the WiFi to turn it off, the text reads "Nearby Wifi until tomorrow." There's geofencing based wifi connection, so if you're connecting to new wifi networks, it's likely outside proximity to the original wifi network you were trying to disconnect from. I thought this was normal behavior, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. When I leave my office, it holds onto a weak connection, so I often toggle this; when I get home, it automatically connects to my home wifi, as expected.

Reactions: BBDDVV

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Others here said they got it too in the last few betas but they haven’t said if they reported it to Apple yet. I think a focus reporting would help a lot. It’s just weird how Apple hasn’t seen this obvious bug yet. Now I’m sounding like others lol.

My theory on why others aren’t aware or annoyed by this bug is simple, they don’t have a lot of outside WiFi networks saved, and not in a big city.

For example in NYC we have a lot of free WiFi and I got some saved, like my cable network WiFi. What happens is say I leave home, turn for connecting to networks, few minutes later, I’m biking around the city or driving, my phone keeps trying to connect to these networks and interrupting my music streaming or apps I’m trying to use. Each time I go to control center to disable WiFi again. Few mins later it enables again.

Eventually I get frustrated enough I go into settings and turn off WiFi completely. Then when I’m using maps, gps it’s now slow and inaccurate. So I get frustrated again and enable WiFi. It’s a annoying thing.

Keep in mind WiFi is suppose to NOT connect to networks “until tomorrow” when disabled from control center.

Anyways I’ve sent another report to Apple.
But you've highlighted why people should not "gang report" issues unless they are affected by them. Your situation in a dense wi-fi environment may be what's causing the issue. If people report this without actually being affected by it, Apple may not be able to diagnose this properly.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
But you've highlighted why people should not "gang report" issues unless they are affected by them. Your situation in a dense wi-fi environment may be what's causing the issue. If people report this without actually being affected by it, Apple may not be able to diagnose this properly.

Absolutely this. Even Apple say don’t report unless you have the particular issue.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Anyone having issue updating using iTunes on latest Developer Beta that was released today? I updated my XS Max using previous beta then updated my Mac then tried to update my iPad and it keeps having an issue. Not sure if it's the iPad or if it's because I updated my Mac.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
Finally, just barely, was able to reproduce the WiFi bug while recording.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gayPAo3SnsjS7CBe8

Notes

Took about 10mins before this capture

I was on a bus

It seems to happen when browsing around the phone or in a app while moving.

Bug: WiFi doesn’t obey “until tomorrow” notice when disabled from control center. Instead it enables itself again after a few mins of movement. Or in a app. Or it just happens randomly. It’s a bit unpredictable but it will enable itself eventually. Started with 12.3 beta 1.

cflasche

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
Is anyone else having an issue where you redeem a (movie) code in the iTunes store, and after you select Redeem in the top right corner, the iTunes Store app crashes? The movies still redeem, but it doesn't say anything to about successfully redeeming.

JMacIV

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
I believe when you click the WiFi to turn it off, the text reads "Nearby Wifi until tomorrow." There's geofencing based wifi connection, so if you're connecting to new wifi networks, it's likely outside proximity to the original wifi network you were trying to disconnect from. I thought this was normal behavior, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. When I leave my office, it holds onto a weak connection, so I often toggle this; when I get home, it automatically connects to my home wifi, as expected.

I was on a bus

@ram130 - @Nikhil72 brings up a good point that it is “nearby WiFi until tomorrow”. You being on a bus means you are moving, so you would be moving away from “nearby WiFi” already, triggering it to re-enable once a certain distance away. I think what you are seeing is not a bug, but rather, expected behavior. So really, you are looking for a change to the software and not a bug fix. Just my $0.02.

Jmac

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
@ram130 - @Nikhil72 brings up a good point that it is “nearby WiFi until tomorrow”. You being on a bus means you are moving, so you would be moving away from “nearby WiFi” already, triggering it to re-enable once a certain distance away. I think what you are seeing is not a bug, but rather, expected behavior. So really, you are looking for a change to the software and not a bug fix. Just my $0.02.

Jmac

That seems strange. So you are saying if I disable for 24 and I take a drive (have AT&T/SPectrum) it will reactivate when I pass through any available wifi that is away from original 24hr location?

With all the public wifi this would make that 24hr option pretty much useless as I would want it away from home, not at home.

Just saying ....

Installing on my IPP G2 as I type this ....
[doublepost=1556587311][/doublepost]The bug where iOS has issues handling contractions in iMessage still exists. The spell check flags as incorrect if the letters before the apostrophe don’t spell a word by itself.

Works fine in Safari.
Flags as incorrect in iMessage.

8229FE5F-AEB2-4387-A47F-38E3DA061613.jpeg

JMacIV

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
That seems strange. So you are saying if I disable for 24 and I take a drive (have AT&T/SPectrum) it will reactivate when I pass through any available wifi that is away from original 24hr location?

With all the public wifi this would make that 24hr option pretty much useless as I would want it away from home, not at home.

Just saying ....
I’m definitely not claiming to know all of the specifics of how it works :) just using context clues and personal experience.

With that being said, the function is not “24 hours”, rather, it truly means tomorrow, regardless of if “tomorrow” is 3 or 23 hours away.

I definitely cannot say for sure on your scenario. However, I would imagine driving is different from a bus. Your phone knows when you are in your car (Bluetooth to car stereo), so it would probably wait to enable it back until you got to your destination. Then, assuming your destination is far enough away from the previously “nearby WiFi”, then yes, it should enable again. Bear in mind, some of this is speculation.

Also, it may base part of it’s criteria on what SSIDs are broadcasting. For instance, if you disable in range of an “xfinitywifi” network (common SSID for Comcast/Xfinity customers), it may not automatically enable if your destination, despite not being “nearby”, also has another “xfinitywifi” SSID present since the phone may believe that is the same network.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I’m definitely not claiming to know all of the specifics of how it works :) just using context clues and personal experience.

With that being said, the function is not “24 hours”, rather, it truly means tomorrow, regardless of if “tomorrow” is 3 or 23 hours away.

I definitely cannot say for sure on your scenario. However, I would imagine driving is different from a bus. Your phone knows when you are in your car (Bluetooth to car stereo), so it would probably wait to enable it back until you got to your destination. Then, assuming your destination is far enough away from the previously “nearby WiFi”, then yes, it should enable again. Bear in mind, some of this is speculation.

Also, it may base part of it’s criteria on what SSIDs are broadcasting. For instance, if you disable in range of an “xfinitywifi” network (common SSID for Comcast/Xfinity customers), it may not automatically enable if your destination, despite not being “nearby”, also has another “xfinitywifi” SSID present since the phone may believe that is the same network.

I just 24 instead of having to type tomorrow ;)
It just seems strange to work that way. Not saying wrong ....

Be cool to find out how it is really supposed to work. :cool:

JMacIV

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2016
Atlanta
I just 24 instead of having to type tomorrow ;)
It just seems strange to work that way. Not saying wrong ....

Be cool to find out how it is really supposed to work. :cool:
Ha! Fair enough, 24 is far easier to type than tomorrow.

And for sure, would be nice. Most users wouldn’t care, but some of us would like the details!

TheByteSmasher

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
Atlantis
Finally, just barely, was able to reproduce the WiFi bug while recording.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gayPAo3SnsjS7CBe8

Notes

Took about 10mins before this capture

I was on a bus

It seems to happen when browsing around the phone or in a app while moving.

Bug: WiFi doesn’t obey “until tomorrow” notice when disabled from control center. Instead it enables itself again after a few mins of movement. Or in a app. Or it just happens randomly. It’s a bit unpredictable but it will enable itself eventually. Started with 12.3 beta 1.

It doesn't disable WiFi until tomorrow. It disables THAT CONNECTION until tomorrow...

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Hmm, I've had a pretty good experience with the HBO NOW app. What problems is it giving you?

Until recently, it wasn’t even optimized for the newest devices. Stuttering, and picture quality is not as good as iTunes encoded video. No download options as well. I just downloaded a full season of Barry to watch on my subway commute by subscribing to HBO in the Apple TV app and it was so seamless.

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
What about my VPN suggestion?

I’m guessing you’re talking about disabling it? I think I missed the post.

Naw you’re correct. But I don’t remember being this annoying in 12.2. The idea is cool but only with more control of it. What if you’re biking around the city or in a taxi. It will try to connect to most public WiFi you have saved and some of those can be slow and congested.

Good point. Thanks. Never thought of that.

Jmac

It doesn't disable WiFi until tomorrow. It disables THAT CONNECTION until tomorrow...

Thanks. I must have missed this text Near by. It’s the same in my iPad with 12.2. But still odd it’s happening in this version vs 12.2 where it didn’t auto enable right away before.

If you are correct then it’s working as intended indeed, and Apple must have finally figured it out or fixed it. This now means I’m out of luck with this annoyance. This is a dumb idea without more control over it. Now I have to turn WiFi completely off when I go biking and suffer weak GPS, and lack of airdrop while I’m outside with friends.

Or reset WiFi settings to get rid of all my saved access points. And remember them again when I need to connect to them when there is no service.

This sucks. I must be the only one who don’t like it this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.