Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I would like to say something plz... im sorry for how i have acted in the past and i know sometimes ive moaned a lot and just wanted to argue but i am sorry, i hope you give me another chance and we can have this fun ride together with the betas and i promise ill be nice from now on, i would really appreciate it if you guys gave me another go and we can all be here together and enjoy the new betas :). thanks for your time
As I've said in the past, we're glad your here and welcome your input. As it turns out, you and the others who though iOS 11 was too buggy had a notable ally: Apple!
[doublepost=1528205053][/doublepost]
May want to add 'iOS' to the title for more clarity for new comers. "The iOS 12.x.x.........." like it was for iOS 10
Always pattern this after the way it was done in iOS 10 :D
[doublepost=1528206384][/doublepost]I've created the wiki with the release dates for each beta (and final) release. Would like mods to make that a sticky. Any help any of you can provide to help accomplish that would be greatly appreciated!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-beta-and-final-release-date-wiki.2121749/

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
As I've said in the past, we're glad your here and welcome your input. As it turns out, you and the others who though iOS 11 was too buggy had a notable ally: Apple!
[doublepost=1528205053][/doublepost]
Always pattern this after the way it was done in iOS 10 :D
[doublepost=1528206384][/doublepost]I've created the wiki with the release dates for each beta (and final) release. Would like mods to make that a sticky. Any help any of you can provide to help accomplish that would be greatly appreciated!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-beta-and-final-release-date-wiki.2121749/

Maybe would be better to just include the list in the first post of this thread? Or include links to sites that already do this sort of thing here are two that I think are helpful and probably should be added to the first post of this thread.

Or this - http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/
Or this - https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Timeline

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe would be better to just include the list in the first post of this thread? Or include links to sites that already do this sort of thing here are two that I think are helpful and probably should be added to the first post of this thread.

Or this - http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/
Or this - https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Timeline
Wow, you're really opposed to this, aren't you? The one list does not specify release dates, just how long they were out there relatively. The second one was notoriously inaccurate (maybe its not so now), but my thinking was to keep it in the forums so people would not have to leave the site to get this info.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Wow, you're really opposed to this, aren't you? The one list does not specify release dates, just how long they were out there relatively. The second one was notoriously inaccurate (maybe its not so now), but my thinking was to keep it in the forums so people would not have to leave the site to get this info.

I'm against unnecessary clutter and a stickied post for recording the dates of iOS beta releases seems a bit unnecessary to me. A link inside the first post of this thread under a heading "USEFUL LINKS" might be worthwhile though. You could even add a section below that to call out specific builds for this beta. Something like this....

Useful Links

iOS Release history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history
iOS Beta (Days in release) - http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/
[insert other useful links here]

Current Beta Releases

iOS 12.0 beta 1 - released June 4th 2018 - build#16A5288q [insert any other info you need]
iOS 12.0 beta 2 - released XXX XXX XXX - build#XXXXXXXX

I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that the information is already compiled in other places on the web and a separate thread for this specific thing seems a bit overkill when the information can be neatly displayed within the first post of this thread.

Reactions: Dwalls90

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Excited to see how different the full release is from the dev beta.

The full release will likely resemble what was shown at WWDC. Some of those pieces are not in place in this beta ( Siri shortcuts app, Waze in CarPlay, etc...). There are likely some features specific to the new phones that we haven’t seen yet. So, I wouldn’t hope for a lot new. The fun part, though, is finding all those things that didn’t make the big presentation, but were on the many features slide at the end.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
My prediction is Developer beta 2 at 1pm ET on Monday June 25, with the first public beta dropping at 4pm ET later that day. That’s what they did last year and since in the press release it said the public beta was coming later this month, I would expect they’ll follow the same pattern as last year. They could always release dev beta 2 and public beta 1 a week earlier, on the 18th, but I would think they’ll want to give it more time and fix some more stuff before they release it to the public beta testers.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
My prediction is Developer beta 2 at 1pm ET on Monday June 25, with the first public beta dropping at 4pm ET later that day. That’s what they did last year and since in the press release it said the public beta was coming later this month, I would expect they’ll follow the same pattern as last year. They could always release dev beta 2 and public beta 1 a week earlier, on the 18th, but I would think they’ll want to give it more time and fix some more stuff before they release it to the public beta testers.

Last year DP2 came out on 6/21 but PB1 didn't drop until 6/26 (Monday). Apple tends to delay the earlier PB releases from the DP releases for major iOS updates, probably to allow extra time in the DP cycle to capture any critical items that would cripple the population of DP users.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Last year DP2 came out on 6/21 but PB1 didn't drop until 6/26 (Monday). Apple tends to delay the earlier PB releases from the DP releases for major iOS updates, probably to allow extra time in the DP cycle to capture any critical items that would cripple the population of DP users.
Ah ok, my bad. So, more likely that there’s a beta 2 on the 18th or 19th perhaps, and then the first public beta either on that Thursday as has happened in the past, or the following Monday (25th). Either way, it’s almost guaranteed at this point that it will correspond to dev beta 2 like last year.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Ah ok, my bad. So, more likely that there’s a beta 2 on the 18th or 19th perhaps, and then the first public beta either on that Thursday as has happened in the past, or the following Monday (25th). Either way, it’s almost guaranteed at this point that it will correspond to dev beta 2 like last year.

I think if we're following the exact same pattern as last year, we should expect DP2 on 6/20 and PB1 on 6/25. I agree a release on a Tuesday (6/19) seems more reasonable, but ultimately Apple's beta pattern is sometimes unpredictable. Regarding PB, however, unless I missed it, did Apple clarify we should expect iOS 12 PB1 before end of June? They committed to iOS 11 PB1 before end of June last year, and we received one, but for some reason I can't recall Apple saying the same about iOS 12 this year. Perhaps PB1 will come later, which coincides with their new mentality regarding quality of software.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I think if we're following the exact same pattern as last year, we should expect DP2 on 6/20 and PB1 on 6/25. I agree a release on a Tuesday (6/19) seems more reasonable, but ultimately Apple's beta pattern is sometimes unpredictable. Regarding PB, however, unless I missed it, did Apple clarify we should expect iOS 12 PB1 before end of June? They committed to iOS 11 PB1 before end of June last year, and we received one, but for some reason I can't recall Apple saying the same about iOS 12 this year. Perhaps PB1 will come later, which coincides with their new mentality regarding quality of software.
Yes, in the official press release it says the public beta will be available “later this month.”

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Awesome! Thanks for that.
No problem! I was excited when I heard it as well. I’m hoping that the second beta (which should be public) will be even better and will be good enough to put on my iPhone X; I don’t really want to risk it quite yet, even though I’ve heard it’s really good for a beta.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
No. The point of a beta cycle is to go through the motions and take necessary time to finesse the software. Not to rush betas out to please a the minority being eager Apple fans.
But you seem to be implying that the longer they wait between betas, the less bugs there should be. There is definitely a happy medium for the amount of time between releases, however, because they could "fix" one bug and create an entirely new one which may not be revealed until developers begin installing and running it. My point here is that, while developers need time between releases to fix bugs, they also need somewhat frequent releases in order to identify new bugs and check their work.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
If beta 2 hits on 18th of June, we could see public beta the same week?
I would say it depends on what day of the week it drops. If it’s a Monday I could see the public beta being released on Thursday; but if beta 2 is released on a Wednesday, the following Monday would be more likely in my opinion.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I would say it depends on what day of the week it drops. If it’s a Monday I could see the public beta being released on Thursday; but if beta 2 is released on a Wednesday, the following Monday would be more likely in my opinion.

Isn't the PB rarely no more than a day after the developer update? And the further along it gets, the PB is traditionally released later the same day. I think only the first one is delayed by a day...maybe two...

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Isn't the PB rarely no more than a day after the developer update? And the further along it gets, the PB is traditionally released later the same day. I think only the first one is delayed by a day...maybe two...
Last year dev beta 2 was released on a Wednesday, and the first public beta was released the following Monday. But after the first one, yes it typically is just a day after the dev betas. I could see beta 2 on a Monday and then the public beta on Wednesday or Thursday.

Reactions: MozMan68

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
But you seem to be implying that the longer they wait between betas, the less bugs there should be. There is definitely a happy medium for the amount of time between releases, however, because they could "fix" one bug and create an entirely new one which may not be revealed until developers begin installing and running it. My point here is that, while developers need time between releases to fix bugs, they also need somewhat frequent releases in order to identify new bugs and check their work.

We're in agreement, but rushing Beta 2 out does not help the beta process. Initial betas need longer periods of time intervals.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
ios 10 beta 2 was released 22 days after beta 1, and ios 11 beta 2 was released 16 days after beta 1. So i guess 2 or 3 weeks before this next beta.

edit: source: http://www.thinkybits.com/blog/iOS-versions/

Yep. If PB1 is to come by 6/30 (end of June, per Apple), but June 30 is a Saturday, and Apple never releases betas on Fridays, the latest date we could see PB2 would be 6/28. That means DP2 will come on or before 6/27, but going by the fact PB never comes the same day or day after the DP for the early stage betas, the latest we'll see DP2 is probably 6/26. Again, these are latest release dates per Apple's historical release dates for betas.

lucasrant

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Yep. If PB1 is to come by 6/30 (end of June, per Apple), but June 30 is a Saturday, and Apple never releases betas on Fridays, the latest date we could see PB2 would be 6/28. That means DP2 will come on or before 6/27, but going by the fact PB never comes the same day or day after the DP for the early stage betas, the latest we'll see DP2 is probably 6/26. Again, these are latest release dates per Apple's historical release dates for betas.
Personally, i'm betting beta 2 comes out on the 19th. Otherwise, on the 26th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.