Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardTimesUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Liverpool, UK
Not a CarPlay issue directly but my 2018 BMW X5 is not coping with my new iPhone 11 Pro at all over bluetooth. Music plays fine but calls are just dropped randomly. 1 min, sometimes after 5 mins, reconnects, doesn't reconnect. I spoke with BMW UK customer services and they informed me the iPhone 11 Pro is not currently supported by their cars. They advised me a software update would be coming but couldn't tell me when.

Obviously frustrating but we could be stuck until BMW / Apple get their heads together. My iPhone XS running iOS 13 worked perfectly fine however.

Reactions: jimmysalg

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums. I been dealing with this issue since iOS 13.1.2 came out with my Pro 11. I have a wired connection in a 2019 GMC Acadia. I am working directly with Apple so hopefully this will get resolved sooner than later. I think they are setting me up with an engineer tomorrow. Not sure what that entails.

Here are some interesting findings so far ( Please note I have done all the troubleshooting steps for both the iPhone 11 Pro and my car stereo):

-iPhone X with the 13.1.2 software works flawlessly in my GMC. Connects in seconds and stays connected. Apple asked me to test this today and luckily someone I work with has a X so I could do it. Drove to different places, turned off the car, restarted the car, paired and repaired the connection and everything worked as it should.

-iPhone XS was my previous phone with the 13.1.1 software and had no issues with Car Play.

-iPhone 11 Pro with the 13.1.2 software is all over the place. Sometimes it connects right away as it should, sometimes it takes over a minute to connect and sometimes it wont connect at all. I swapped out the USB cable and tried pairing and repairing it with the car and its a hit or miss. I do notice the phone does charge when connected via USB so that rules out any connection issues. Apple asked if I could try my phone in another car which I will tonight.

Tomorrow I have a call with Apple at 9am to report my tests. I feel like a guinea pig and this seems a bit more widespread than just us.

Reactions: jimmysalg

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and im currently running 13.1. I have a 2019 Mini Cooper with wireless CarPlay. Ever sense I got the iPhone 11 it keeps cutting out when playing music, also does it when using SIRI etc. Tried unpairing, turning bluetooth on/off on both the car and the device nothing helps. Any others having issues?
Finally. Someone having the same issue!!! I upgraded to the IPhone 11 Pro last week, and now the CarPlay on my 2020 Mini Cooper skips and cuts in and out, when I listen to music or any other app. CarPlay screen freezes up from time to time too. I was just running IOS 13 on my iPhone XS Max and the CarPlay was fine. I have tried all the “troubleshooting” ideas and nothing. I have an Apple Support case opened, and the agent looking into it, but I don’t have a lot of faith. Suggestions???
[automerge]1571154194[/automerge]
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums. I been dealing with this issue since iOS 13.1.2 came out with my Pro 11. I have a wired connection in a 2019 GMC Acadia. I am working directly with Apple so hopefully this will get resolved sooner than later. I think they are setting me up with an engineer tomorrow. Not sure what that entails.

Here are some interesting findings so far ( Please note I have done all the troubleshooting steps for both the iPhone 11 Pro and my car stereo):

-iPhone X with the 13.1.2 software works flawlessly in my GMC. Connects in seconds and stays connected. Apple asked me to test this today and luckily someone I work with has a X so I could do it. Drove to different places, turned off the car, restarted the car, paired and repaired the connection and everything worked as it should.

-iPhone XS was my previous phone with the 13.1.1 software and had no issues with Car Play.

-iPhone 11 Pro with the 13.1.2 software is all over the place. Sometimes it connects right away as it should, sometimes it takes over a minute to connect and sometimes it wont connect at all. I swapped out the USB cable and tried pairing and repairing it with the car and its a hit or miss. I do notice the phone does charge when connected via USB so that rules out any connection issues. Apple asked if I could try my phone in another car which I will tonight.

Tomorrow I have a call with Apple at 9am to report my tests. I feel like a guinea pig and this seems a bit more widespread than just us.

im having the identical issue with my 2020 Mini Cooper and iPhone 11 Pro. I have a pending case with Apple Support; they are looking into it.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Finally. Someone having the same issue!!! I upgraded to the IPhone 11 Pro last week, and now the CarPlay on my 2020 Mini Cooper skips and cuts in and out, when I listen to music or any other app. CarPlay screen freezes up from time to time too. I was just running IOS 13 on my iPhone XS Max and the CarPlay was fine. I have tried all the “troubleshooting” ideas and nothing. I have an Apple Support case opened, and the agent looking into it, but I don’t have a lot of faith. Suggestions???
[automerge]1571154194[/automerge]

im having the identical issue with my 2020 Mini Cooper and iPhone 11 Pro. I have a pending case with Apple Support; they are looking into it.

I am afraid based on what I have seen there is not much you can do, but wait for apple to find a solution. You might want to tell apple you know of at least 3 instances where the same exact issue is happening. A sales rep at my MINI dealership is having the same issue on her car. As a temp fix, I found that turning off CarPlay on the MINI and just using bluetooth works (wireless CarPlay uses both bluetooth and WIFI). I believe the issue is WIFI related. You should also try going out on a nice open highway or something and see if it gets better. I find that if I go out to an area where there is no WIFI networks around the issue basically stops.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
I am having the same issues with an 11 Pro and a Mini Countryman.. I'm on the 13.2 Beta and it didn't fix it. I wonder if iOS 13.1.3 fixes it.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
Hmmm. Thanks for the info! I live in LA, so there isn’t much free space where there’s little to no WiFi. Lol. I’m passing all this info along to Apple. The agent has been submitting my issue to their tech forums, so hopefully I will get some word back.
[automerge]1571163241[/automerge]
I am having the same issues with an 11 Pro and a Mini Countryman.. I'm on the 13.2 Beta and it didn't fix it. I wonder if iOS 13.1.3 fixes it.
[/QUOTE

That’s unfortunate, I was hoping the 13.2 Beta would fix it. Gonna pasa this along to the Apple person too. Thx.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Hmmm. Thanks for the info! I live in LA, so there isn’t much free space where there’s little to no WiFi. Lol. I’m passing all this info along to Apple. The agent has been submitting my issue to their tech forums, so hopefully I will get some word back.
Please let them know Feedback Item FB7379651 is what I submitted in case they want to contact me as well.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
I heard that iPhones delivered straight from apple seem to be more prone to the issue rather than those purchased at the store. Any feedback on this?

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami

Question, did the apple techs ever ask you to wipe your phone? (full reset) as part of the troubleshooting?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I heard that iPhones delivered straight from apple seem to be more prone to the issue rather than those purchased at the store. Any feedback on this?
How would that really play a role in something like this?

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
I am sure this is software related. For example Monday morning I got in the car and it connected with no issue. Today I get in the car and it wouldn't connect at all. Every few days I get a call from Apple in regards to my case letting me know they are still working on it. The more cases that are open the higher this issue moves up on the chart. I suggest everyone at least call and open a case if you are having issues blue tooth or wired.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
[/QUOTE

That’s unfortunate, I was hoping the 13.2 Beta would fix it. Gonna pasa this along to the Apple person too. Thx.
[automerge]1571174038[/automerge]
Question, did the apple techs ever ask you to wipe your phone? (full reset) as part of the troubleshooting?
No. Not yet.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
How would that really play a role in something like this?

If it was somehow hardware related and affecting a certain "batch" of phones. It was something a tech at the dealer had noticed and just seeing what people here had to say about it.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
If it was somehow hardware related and affecting a certain "batch" of phones. It was something a tech at the dealer had noticed and just seeing what people here had to say about it.

So far I had zero issues this morning with the new update. Got in my car and made two stops and Car Play connected both times as it should.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
I notice that I am able to use my phone with the Bluetooth only function; no skipping or cutting in/out detected.

However, still unable to use CarPlay, as the audio on all my iPhone 11 Pro apps, skips/cuts out when connected to my car. I read that my car (2020 Mini Cooper) uses the Bluetooth to initially connect, however then switches to a WiFi signal in order to transmit the visual components of CarPlay (eg mapa, UI, etc). So I am starting to think the problem is more closely connected to a WiFi issue... as has been purported in earlier posts. Hmm. Facing a decision... have about 6 days left to return my iPhone 11 Pro and downgrade to a iPhone XS (which I had before and worked fine in my car)... OR keep my iPhone 11 Pro and hope the issue is addressed through Apple or BMW/Mini.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
I notice that I am able to use my phone with the Bluetooth only function; no skipping or cutting in/out detected.

However, still unable to use CarPlay, as the audio on all my iPhone 11 Pro apps, skips/cuts out when connected to my car. I read that my car (2020 Mini Cooper) uses the Bluetooth to initially connect, however then switches to a WiFi signal in order to transmit the visual components of CarPlay (eg mapa, UI, etc). So I am starting to think the problem is more closely connected to a WiFi issue... as has been purported in earlier posts. Hmm. Facing a decision... have about 6 days left to return my iPhone 11 Pro and downgrade to a iPhone XS (which I had before and worked fine in my car)... OR keep my iPhone 11 Pro and hope the issue is addressed through Apple or BMW/Mini.

I don't think you can get an XS from Apple anymore. ??

UMJD2002

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
My iPhone 11 Pro Max on 13.1.3 doesn't work with carplay in my GMC Sierra or my wife's Cadillac XT5 over 50% of the time. I need to call Apple. It is very frustrating.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
I am sure this is software related. For example Monday morning I got in the car and it connected with no issue. Today I get in the car and it wouldn't connect at all. Every few days I get a call from Apple in regards to my case letting me know they are still working on it. The more cases that are open the higher this issue moves up on the chart. I suggest everyone at least call and open a case if you are having issues blue tooth or wired.

Yes good point. I need to open a case...
[automerge]1571240612[/automerge]

Yes I agree my car does the same thing, works fine with Bluetooth only. When I go to a rural area problem goes away (no wifi interference). You are 100% correct, not just the mini but all wireless CarPlay run the same way, initial bluetooth then wifi. Its a tough decision cause you really want to use your nice CarPlay, I would be a little patient Apple is usually really good at this. I need to get a ticket open with them cause I know the more people report this the more it will elevate the concern.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
My iPhone 11 Pro Max on 13.1.3 doesn't work with carplay in my GMC Sierra or my wife's Cadillac XT5 over 50% of the time. I need to call Apple. It is very frustrating.

In the same boat, used to work 100% of the time, 11 Pro Max is about 50% or less now. Getting very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.