Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UMJD2002

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
I called apple and was told to go to settings, general, carplay, and to erase my vehicle. I was then told to restart my phone and try carplay again. So far it has worked on the 2 trips I've taken since doing this! Hopefully it resolved the issue! As a side note, I tried this previously under 13.1.2 and it didn't help. This time under 13.1.3 it seems to have helped so far.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
My 11 Pro worked like a champ when it was on 13.1. Never any stutters or pauses on anything while running wirelessly. Unfortunately, I fell into the allure of 13.2 and up through beta 2 (haven't driven since installing beta 3 today), I get occasional stutters when I'm listening to podcasts. But I don't think it's just with PocketCasts, because when it's happening, I notice the on-screen map stuttering too. However, it sometimes also happens when I just have the podcast app on screen and don't have any GPS apps navigating me anywhere.

FWIW, using a Pioneer 4500NEX as my stereo as opposed to original factory equipment.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
I called apple and was told to go to settings, general, carplay, and to erase my vehicle. I was then told to restart my phone and try carplay again. So far it has worked on the 2 trips I've taken since doing this! Hopefully it resolved the issue! As a side note, I tried this previously under 13.1.2 and it didn't help. This time under 13.1.3 it seems to have helped so far.

Good idea. I am gonna give a fresh reset with the phone and car and go from there. I was hopefully when I had no issues this morning after the 13.1.3 update. Bummer.
[automerge]1571250926[/automerge]
My 11 Pro worked like a champ when it was on 13.1. Never any stutters or pauses on anything while running wirelessly. Unfortunately, I fell into the allure of 13.2 and up through beta 2 (haven't driven since installing beta 3 today), I get occasional stutters when I'm listening to podcasts. But I don't think it's just with PocketCasts, because when it's happening, I notice the on-screen map stuttering too. However, it sometimes also happens when I just have the podcast app on screen and don't have any GPS apps navigating me anywhere.

FWIW, using a Pioneer 4500NEX as my stereo as opposed to original factory equipment.

13.3 went live last night and so far no improvements.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami

Thanks for the input
[automerge]1571253624[/automerge]
Its strange that there seems to be issues across a wide range of CarPlay connections (wired/wireless/different car brands/ect) yes there is only like 5-6 people on here. Guess its not very widespread

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I think its an issue with the 11 and 11 Pro. I have horrible car play issue with my 11 Pro while any version of phone that supports car play before that works perfectly.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I have wired and this is something I've been dealing with for a while (before iOS 13). I used to get constant drops. Switching to a new lightning cable did help a lot. I get significantly less drops but I still get an annoying amount of them.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
Like it’s been mentioned in earlier posts, if you’re having an issue, definitely call Apple and open a support claim. I imagine this is happening a lot more than we, or Apple, know.

Reactions: jimmysalg

TheChesterCat

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I think its an issue with the 11 and 11 Pro. I have horrible car play issue with my 11 Pro while any version of phone that supports car play before that works perfectly.

Happening with my XS Max on wireless carplay. So far 13.1.3 has been better. So far.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
Good to know. I’ll try it. Thx

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Day 1, after 13.1.3 update, it was fine all day.
Day 2, it worked everytime, but once (multiple stops).
Today is day 3, it has worked the one trip so far.

Their 'engineers' are still working on it? Right...

Last edited:
Reactions: JuanManApple

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
This morning I deleted my car from CarPlay and my iPhone from my car, then hard-reset my iPhone - didn’t help; the problem persists. Heard back from Apple yesterday. They are still working on it. Apple Rep clearly said, this issue will eventually get addressed, however the timing largely depends on how widespread the problem is (and how much negative PR they get, I imagine). Still feeling very frustrated. Yes I can use my Bluetooth, but the Mini/BMW UI is weak compared to CarPlay, IMHO

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
The build in UI on cars is such a nightmare. Even with my carplay issues I'll still take that any day of the week.

I hear you. What’s frustrating is that sometimes the audio is fine for an hour or so (or on one of my daily commutes), but then out of nowhere it starts skipping, cutting in and out, and distorting... every 2-3 min! It’s been getting harder to ignore. First-world problems, I know, but still... it bugs.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I hear you. What’s frustrating is that sometimes the audio is fine for an hour or so (or on one of my daily commutes), but then out of nowhere it starts skipping, cutting in and out, and distorting... every 2-3 min! It’s been getting harder to ignore. First-world problems, I know, but still... it bugs.

I hear you. I took a 70 minute drive Sunday with no problems. Yesterday on a 30 minute drive I lost connectivity with CarPlay twice.

xodh

macrumors demi-god
Apr 14, 2015
Manchester, England.
This morning I deleted my car from CarPlay and my iPhone from my car, then hard-reset my iPhone - didn’t help; the problem persists. Heard back from Apple yesterday. They are still working on it. Apple Rep clearly said, this issue will eventually get addressed, however the timing largely depends on how widespread the problem is (and how much negative PR they get, I imagine). Still feeling very frustrated. Yes I can use my Bluetooth, but the Mini/BMW UI is weak compared to CarPlay, IMHO

Just an idea for you... my CarPlay is now rock solid on 13.1.3. I had various Bluetooth issues as well, and the dealer suggested that I download the latest Software update recommended by BMW/MINI, after inputting the Vehicle VIN. This download applied update UPD09042, that resulted in Multimedia: TB 001.062.032 & MB 001.062.040 & HB 001.062.032. Seems to have worked for me, so worth checking your own version status?

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Seems like it has worked more than it hasn't lately. However the issue is still there. I guess not many people have upgraded to an iPhone 11 and use car play. My XS had zero issues. Until more people get an iPhone 11 and start using car play and run into the issues than this will only affect a small group of people.

TheChesterCat

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Seems like it has worked more than it hasn't lately. However the issue is still there. I guess not many people have upgraded to an iPhone 11 and use car play. My XS had zero issues. Until more people get an iPhone 11 and start using car play and run into the issues than this will only affect a small group of people.

My XS Max has this issue though. I tried deleting my phone from my Mini and repairing it. To get it to connect to CarPlay now I have to manually select MiniCarPlay WiFi on my iPhone to get it to connect.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
Just an idea for you... my CarPlay is now rock solid on 13.1.3. I had various Bluetooth issues as well, and the dealer suggested that I download the latest Software update recommended by BMW/MINI, after inputting the Vehicle VIN. This download applied update UPD09042, that resulted in Multimedia: TB 001.062.032 & MB 001.062.040 & HB 001.062.032. Seems to have worked for me, so worth checking your own version status?

Thanks for the info! I checked the dealership, and they said because I have a 2020 Mini, the software is current. However I am gonna double check now that I have some more info. Thx.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Reactions: xodh

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Thanks for the info! I checked the dealership, and they said because I have a 2020 Mini, the software is current. However I am gonna double check now that I have some more info. Thx.

Yes that update has been out for sometime now. Was one of the first things I did.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
My XS Max has this issue though. I tried deleting my phone from my Mini and repairing it. To get it to connect to CarPlay now I have to manually select MiniCarPlay WiFi on my iPhone to get it to connect.

Ok...but your issue is simply it connecting correct? Once it connects it plays fine without any cutting in and out? The issues the 11's are having is that it cuts out, kind of like how bluetooth behaves if you move to far away from the source.
[automerge]1571333889[/automerge]
For all the folks with MINIs that are having the issue I created a post on a Facebook page called "sunshine minis" tons of people with Minis there, just want to see how many people come forth with the issue and encourage them to open tickets with apple

TheChesterCat

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Ok...but your issue is simply it connecting correct? Once it connects it plays fine without any cutting in and out? The issues the 11's are having is that it cuts out, kind of like how bluetooth behaves if you move to far away from the source.

It actually does cut out at times or just does not want to connect when I start the car. It does look to be a wifi issue with ios 13. I do not think it is hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.