Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
It actually does cut out at times or just does not want to connect when I start the car. It does look to be a wifi issue with ios 13. I do not think it is hardware.

Great thanks for the heads up! Have tried driving out somewhere that you wouldn't have WIFI interference? When I take my car out on the turnpike or a wide open space that im not in range of any other WIFI the problem seems to stop
[automerge]1571346020[/automerge]
I checked. Despite being brand spanking new, it looks like the software is outdated. Gonna try to update later.

LOL well I bought my car 2 months ago and it was outdated, I think that update has been out since the beginning of the year. either way good luck

Reactions: JuanManApple

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
Latest update. Installed most recent version of Mini/BMW software and the problem still persists. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that this has to be patched on Apple’s end. Hmmm. Bummer.

Reactions: jimmysalg

Dave-o78

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and im currently running 13.1. I have a 2019 Mini Cooper with wireless CarPlay. Ever sense I got the iPhone 11 it keeps cutting out when playing music, also does it when using SIRI etc. Tried unpairing, turning bluetooth on/off on both the car and the device nothing helps. Any others having issues?
I am also having the same issues as you. I have a 2019 Mini Countryman. When I had my iPhone X I had no problems at all. Since upgrading to the iPhone XI, my wireless CarPlay cuts out all the time when playing music, and the screen has become slow in response anytime I touch it. I’ve deleted my phone from the car and re-added it, as well as hard resetting my phone, but nothing works. I’m going to contact my dealer this week, to see if they can reset the infotainment system in the car. Hopefully that will fix things. I’ll post again with an update after infotainment system is reset.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and im currently running 13.1. I have a 2019 Mini Cooper with wireless CarPlay. Ever sense I got the iPhone 11 it keeps cutting out when playing music, also does it when using SIRI etc. Tried unpairing, turning bluetooth on/off on both the car and the device nothing helps. Any others having issues?

Daki

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
I'm also experiencing the same issue - 2019 Mini JCW convertible with wireless carplay. The wifi interference theory matches what I seem to be experiencing - it cuts out a lot in my neighborhood and along routes with congested shopping centers, but works perfectly fine other times. I also have the extremely laggy screen response. Following along :)

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
2020 Toyota 4Runner here, also issues with Carplay but ONLY on iPhone 11/11Pro running any version of ios 13.

The problem is when making or receiving a call, the call breaks up and clicks consistently, neither person can hear the other because of how bad it’s breaking up. Then the radio becomes extremely sluggish and it freezes up, the call timer stops, the screen becomes totally unresponsive until the call ends.

You physically cannot use carplay with an iPhone 11/Pro on iOS 13 to make and receive calls on the radio in the 2020 4Runner....which is a massive function of car play itself. Everything else works perfectly fine.

I reported this to both Apple and Toyota but I have no idea whose problem it is.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
I am also having the same issues as you. I have a 2019 Mini Countryman. When I had my iPhone X I had no problems at all. Since upgrading to the iPhone XI, my wireless CarPlay cuts out all the time when playing music, and the screen has become slow in response anytime I touch it. I’ve deleted my phone from the car and re-added it, as well as hard resetting my phone, but nothing works. I’m going to contact my dealer this week, to see if they can reset the infotainment system in the car. Hopefully that will fix things. I’ll post again with an update after infotainment system is reset.

Let me know how that goes, but my guess is it won't make a difference. I have friends that work at my dealer having the same issues in their cars and its basically back to apple. I would suggest opening a service ticket with apple. The more people report the issue the higher it goes up in their priority line.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Let me know how that goes, but my guess is it won't make a difference. I have friends that work at my dealer having the same issues in their cars and its basically back to apple. I would suggest opening a service ticket with apple. The more people report the issue the higher it goes up in their priority line.
Does anyone know if you can open a support on it if you're on the public beta?

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
So I finally gave in and returned my iPhone 11 Pro and downgraded to a iPhone XS- I was still within the 14 day return window for the phone. I couldn’t take the CarPlay issues any longer. I tried everything mentioned by the blogs, Apple, Mini, and BMW- nothing worked, in fact the issue was getting worse. Although I no longer have my nice new iPhone 11 Pro, I do have the ability to listen to my 2020 Mini’s sound system uninterrupted; at the end of the day, that was more important to me than the updated camera on the phone. Hopefully Apple gets the issue addressed ASAP. I filed a grievance with Mini as well; they said they have a team that works with Apple on CarPlay issues, and would address it with them.
Good Luck, I hope things get better soon. I’ll keep an eye on the blogs for any new info.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
So I finally gave in and returned my iPhone 11 Pro and downgraded to a iPhone XS- I was still within the 14 day return window for the phone. I couldn’t take the CarPlay issues any longer. I tried everything mentioned by the blogs, Apple, Mini, and BMW- nothing worked, in fact the issue was getting worse. Although I no longer have my nice new iPhone 11 Pro, I do have the ability to listen to my 2020 Mini’s sound system uninterrupted; at the end of the day, that was more important to me than the updated camera on the phone. Hopefully Apple gets the issue addressed ASAP. I filed a grievance with Mini as well; they said they have a team that works with Apple on CarPlay issues, and would address it with them.
Good Luck, I hope things get better soon. I’ll keep an eye on the blogs for any new info.

Thank you for all your input.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

Just thought I give everyone an update. I spent about an hour on the phone with an Apple tech yesterday. They installed two diagnostic profiles on my phone and I was able to recreate the issue several times for them and they where able to log it. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it. After all this troubleshooting I really think the software in the phone is making the stereo forget the Apple Car play connection. I hope its a simple fix.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Gonna install it now. Did get a call from Apple Saturday morning. They said more complaints have been coming in and they are working on the issue but no fix yet. They told me to reset my network settings which I have about a dozen times since this started happening.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Gonna install it now. Did get a call from Apple Saturday morning. They said more complaints have been coming in and they are working on the issue but no fix yet. They told me to reset my network settings which I have about a dozen times since this started happening.

LOL LOL yea well guess they have to tell you something. Anyway, just as I thought this update did nothing for us.

JLAudio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Mine worked on the first try today but most likely because the phone updated after the reset. Will see at lunch. Cant understand why they cant fix this.

Jorge_mx

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
I have the same problem with a BMW X2 2019 using an iPhone 11 Max Pro, never have this problem with my previous iphone XS Max ???

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
In additional to filing a claim with Apple, I would also suggest everyone call and speak to Mini or BMW customer service. I got a “check in” call from Mini (not the dealership but from the National customer service) to check in on how I’m enjoying my 2020 mini... I filed a claim with them as well. The customer service rep told me they have a team that specifically works with Apple on CarPlay compatibility issues.

Now that I downgraded from the iPhone 11 Pro to the iPhone XS, I am no longer having the same type of issues, however I am still having problems. While the audio is no longer cutting in and out, I have noticed that my CarPlay functions and my iPhone start to freeze after using CarPlay for an extended amount of time. It’s almost like the phone gets overwhelmed- it freezes up on displaying album art, wont advance Spotify tracks, and won’t connect to Siri. I end up having to do a hard reset, for things to start working again. Why this is super annoying, it is less frequent than the initial issues I had with the iPhone 11. I’m wondering if there is a general connectivity issue between Apple and Mini/BMW... one that is being worsened and exacerbated by the new iOS and/or iPhones. Regardless, the squeaky wheel gets the grease- the more we all make Apple and Mini/BMW aware of the issues, the sooner it should get resolved (in theory).

ftmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
I own a Mini Cooper S 2019, I traded my iphone XR for an 11 and am having exactly this same problem. It seems to be a problem of interference in the wifi of these new devices Iphones 11. With the XR the carplay worked perfect.
The question is: Can this be solved via ios upgrade or is it a hardware issue?
Another question: Is this happening only on Mini cars or all cars that have Carplay over wifi?
Today I filed a complaint with Apple and I am waiting for their response.

JuanManApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Los Angeles
I own a Mini Cooper S 2019, I traded my iphone XR for an 11 and am having exactly this same problem. It seems to be a problem of interference in the wifi of these new devices Iphones 11. With the XR the carplay worked perfect.
The question is: Can this be solved via ios upgrade or is it a hardware issue?
Another question: Is this happening only on Mini cars or all cars that have Carplay over wifi?
Today I filed a complaint with Apple and I am waiting for their response.
When you had your iPhone XR, did the phone ever freeze up and stop responding when using CarPlay for an extended amount of rime? In regards to your question, before I downgraded back to an XS from the 11 Pro, I upgraded both my iOS and Mini software, and it didn’t solve the problem. Another general question- are you using the mini wireless charger hookup (in the center armrest)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.