Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra.skill

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
Taiwan
iOS 12 finally brought grouped notifications back so that was nice.

- change default apps (maps for example)
- Messages hub (1 app for you to respond to all your messaging platforms: iMessage, text, fb messenger, whatsapp and whatever else is out there these days, rather than going into each app to respond to messages)
- dark mode option
- change the damn volume HUD :mad:

what else do you guys wanna see?
[doublepost=1546487775][/doublepost]Messages Hub, yes yes yes!!!!!
Or at least iMessage for Android.

Reactions: TimFL1

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
I would like to see an option where an incoming phone call doesn't take over your screen if you are using certain apps. For example I would like an option of automatic DND activation if I'm using the camera app to record a video or take a photo. Or at the very least an incoming call should come up as just a banner alert whilst using certain apps. I think this is already an option on Android?

Reactions: oodi and Ebok

Threejw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Dark mode is the most awaited feature. Smart Invert is not proper dark mode and it messes with manu 3rd party apps.

after waiting for it for so many years i feel like its going to be anti climactic, i expect more than a night mode, i want it to be smart, with different colors, a refreshed theme.... not the same thing in black... something worth the unnecessary wait.
[doublepost=1546521283][/doublepost]i want a refreshed look on the most frequently used apps, like settings, phone and contacts. like a major overhaul, they look like apps from the year 2004.

Reactions: Breezygirl

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
• More 3D and color in the UI.
• Fix playback of Audible audiobooks, where they stop playback half a second after being started, requiring a second start immediately after to actually start proper playback.
• Dark Mode

Reactions: Feyl

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Aim higher, people! Fixing annoying features is a good idea, but let's be more aspirational here.

For me, I'd like to see iOS 13 begin the process of moving away from apps as discrete "centers" on the iPhone. I think Siri Shortcuts was a first step (by allowing users and developers to use "intents" from within an app without needing to open the app itself.) Ultimately, I think the entire OS is going to go that way (along with Alexa and Hey Google on the other platforms). In Sci-Fi (a source of inspiration for many of our current devices), no one ever has to say, "Hey Computer, open Hyper-Space Phone App and call Mr. Spock or Princess Leia", it just works.

Although, developers may not like this paradigm, as it might de-individualize their creations, ultimately, they are still needed to create the intents the OS can carry out; it'll just be in different packaging, so to speak.

There's a lot of work to be done, especially to Siri and AI, for this to become reality. However, the recent elevation of the former Google AI chief, John Gianndrea (sp?) to a high leadership position at Apple, may finally signify that Apple (at least) understands that its going to get lapped (again) unless Siri becomes more useful. I think the other things I've outlined will follow from that.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
- "Weekend/Evening Mode" - some kind of an extension to Do Not Disturb that disables certain apps and email accounts during the weekend and/or evening. This would would be great for general health as our phones are serious factors in burnouts these days. Alternatively they could just implement wayyyy more granular control over DND.
- fix the control center UI, it's horrible
- better text selection
- That "Messages Hub" idea sounds great as well.
- multiuser for iPads
- and one of the golden oldies of requests: custom

mdesta

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
Few things on top of what has been said earlier:

1/ Every time I plug the phone in my car, iOS wants to play on the default Music app; iOS should be able to always resume the last app it was playing from, instead of constantly returning to a default app.

2/ I never use the Music app but was forced to put one song in order for the iPhone to work in the car. Without this one song, you can't use Spotify, Youtube Music or any other app. (I have a Mazda, not sure if it's an iOS or Mazda problem).

3/ Carplay: ability to leverage the car Dial to Zoom in and out and move within the Map.

4/ Carplay: change the default Map to Google Maps

5/ Ability to group and receive Notification all at once at certain times (for example once an hour) and not be disturbed otherwise.

Threejw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014

1/ Every time I plug the phone in my car, iOS wants to play on the default Music app; iOS should be able to always resume the last app it was playing from, instead of constantly returning to a default app.

2/ I never use the Music app but was forced to put one song in order for the iPhone to work in the car. Without this one song, you can't use Spotify, Youtube Music or any other app. (I have a Mazda, not sure if it's an iOS or Mazda problem).

3/ Carplay: ability to leverage the car Dial to Zoom in and out and move within the Map.

4/ Carplay: change the default Map to Google Maps

5/ Ability to group and receive Notification all at once at certain times (for example once an hour) and not be disturbed otherwise.

YES PLEASE...

and this one : "Ability to group and receive Notification all at once at certain times (for example once an hour) and not be disturbed otherwise"

can save my life

Reactions: uecker87

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
YES PLEASE...

and this one : "Ability to group and receive Notification all at once at certain times (for example once an hour) and not be disturbed otherwise"

can save my life
Save your life?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013

1/ Fairly sure on Carplay on mine it will play from whatever i was listening to last time. In fact im fairly sure that the other day i'd been using Overcast to listen to a Podcast whilst walking the dog and then a few hours later when i went out in the car and plugged in my phone Carplay fired up and Overcast carried on from earlier on in the day.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Since Apple is all about security, password/Face ID locked apps wouldn't hurt at all. At least on the stock apps like Photos and iMessages.

Reactions: TimFL1

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
  • Locks on applications, per app basis, timed if need be same as the option for when you purchase items from the app store.
  • Interface changes across the board, the OS can easily be light aware and yes include dark mode already. Im also throwing in that the home and lock screens need major rewrites.
  • Notifications updates, match them to that of the new apple pencil. Very clean with some roundness. Also include an icon only notification system instead of the system placing a line of text with whatever is notifying you. This would cut down on overlapping on the screen when working on projects. Just need a little bubble that comes up on the corner with the text icon that says 1, 2..and so forth. If an app is notification hungry it would be nice to still get a notification without the screen being taken over.
  • And speaking the screen being taken over.. PHONE CALLS.. Rewrite needed! The notification for when someone is calling should come up in a bar like drop down menu. A full screen application is fine when looking at contacts and what not. But when you're already doing other things on your device and you get a phone call it shouldn't take over everything you're doing. This is beyond insane at this point.
  • Emoji's.. search bar or button needed. The current way just isn't good. Also fix the keywords not triggering the correct emoji. This is small change but also somewhat of a big one knowing how Apple like to push the emoji updates.
  • Animoji inclusion throughout the entire product line. Needs it own app or should be able to be trigged within the camera app and not just FaceTime/messages. iMovie inclusion is a must! You want this feature to take off, include an iMovie update that when you plug your phone into your MacBook and open iMovie.. you can instantly record Animoji videos on the fly and edit them.

I could keep going.. there's a lot on my wishlist that Apple needs. These are the extreme smalls on my current list and nothing Im sure hasn't already been mentioned. And honestly I don't even like Animoji.. but when you include them as bonuses on new devices and then you basically half a** the way they work.. come on now. Go all in or don't do it at all. I can see real potential to use that tech within youtube channels and other markets where some people don't want to show their "real faces". This gives them a platform to produce videos with a face.. while them.. may give them more confidence and with that come out from behind the cartoon at some point.

Reactions: BMcCoy and TimFL1

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like to see consistency within Apple apps as to where the back arrow is - in News on a iPhone it is on the top but in Safari on the iPhone it is on the bottom. The reason years ago for the bottom was because phone were getting big and people wanted to one handed but anyway either setting choice or consistent.

Reactions: AppleMythos

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
People say dark mode, and I laugh.

Every year people come up with reasons dark mode is coming.

• iPhone X is coming, oled means we’ll get it.

• iPad Pro becoming more of a computer, dark mode is coming.

• MacOS and TVOS have, so dark mode is coming.

Every year, WWDC comes and goes, no dark mode.

It’s gotten to the point where people not getting dark mode has driven them mad (by mad, I mean angry, though soon, I could see people going crazy).

I love cruel jokes.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Some sort of dock mode would be nice....when I listen to podcasts in bed while the phone is docked and charging on the speaker dock....it would be nice if the when the phone starts to dim the screen due to ‘inactivity’ rather than completely turning of it would just happen when the sleep time expired.

I know this is possible with RSSRadio7 podcast app.....but would like the native podcast app have this function as well

bleak7

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
- Remove the lock-screen picture for the notification drop-down while phone isn't locked and give me the good old transparency background that the control center also has.
- Let me hide the damn carrier name on lock screen and status bar (iP 8 and lower).
- Make the music tile in the control center wider and give it a seek bar without me needing to do long-presses or 3d touches.

Reactions: Feyl

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
DEFAULT APPS is the only thing left.

Hardly. And thats not even a huge deal for many.

There’s also room for vast improvements in the handling of fonts and language support.
Vast improvements in the iOS photos app.
Plug in support for all apps. Just one example would be allowing those of us that want to download 3rd party plugs that add long exposure time etc to the camera app (since Apple hasn’t provided directly)
Improving the handling of keyboards, content filters etc
The ability to move files between apps without having to do export then import games.
Support for more video file types
Overhaul the UI in the ‘tv’ app including the ability to save profile choices for apps like Hulu and Netflix, a more seamless and accurate transfer of viewing data back and forth and sharing between iCloud accurately, convincing all services to support TV, ability to save items so when something becomes available you are alerted (especially handy for older shows that have never been on streaming before).
Way overdue improvements to the Restrictions system which still doesn’t allow you to restrict who kids can call and text or receive from even though that’s been in Mac OS since X started if not earlier

And so on.
There are dozens of ways they could make iOS more MacOS like without actually making it literally MacOS, especially on the iPad and they are ways that would be beneficial to the common user and not just the Uber geeks who want a Finder etc and yet they don’t do them. It really shows the downside to the whole ‘we refuse to talk to focus groups’ attitude by Apple
[doublepost=1546880334][/doublepost]
Go back to the original iPhone OS and put back some of the features that used to make iOS stand out. Stop making it overly complicated and cluttered.

I’m curious what features you are thinking of.

Oh and I agree about the App Store. I’m fine with a ‘for you’ tab with the suggestions and stories but give us back a categories view and actually monitor that apps are correctly keyworded, not spamming keywords etc. also how about a wishlist in both stores that actually tells us if something on our list goes on sale. That’s a perfect thing for our ‘for you’ tab. And even let us decide if we want that tab at all. Especially on the iPhone where there’s really only room for 3 tabs and a ‘more’.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Firstly, I absolutely hate the shortcut bar on iPad Pro when using the Smart Keyboard - especially in Split View. I’d like to be able to hide/minimise it or invoke with a keyboard shortcut. It should also be black to blend with the bezels more. I’d disable it entirely if I didn’t need to AutoFill passwords with it.

Also on iPad, I want a way to switch focus in split view. Two of the same app side by side. And make it easier to navigate the UI using a keyboard if desired. Maybe some sort of tabbing system?

Dark mode based on ambient light/screen brightness as Maps already does. No brainer. People want it, works great on macOS just give it as an option and even better, have it just turn on when it’s the right moment (in a dark environment, or at night).

First-party app improvements - many have languished for too long without updates now. Mail, Calendar, etc. Time to give them some love. Safari’s address bar should be at the bottom. In general UI should be reworked to accomodate for larger devices and one handed use...

Refreshed iconography, sounds, etc. More depth, more mature. More how macOS adopted flat design... more detail in the icons, for example.

Ability to change or customise the lock-screen buttons (currently flashlight and camera) to other things like Mail, Messages, Home etc... with third-party API so devs can add their own options.

Reworked home screen - some sort of app drawer for lesser-used apps, widgets available along with apps (can take up 2x2 of grid, or 4x2, etc), dynamic icons (a la Calendar or Clock now).

DESKTOP CLASS SAFARI on iPad. Sick of seeing mobile/tablet websites on a 12.9 inch tablet. So done with it. Add Downloads manager to Safari for iOS, accessible in Files app across all devices.

Plug in a USB drive and access the files in Files app. Save from apps to USB drives if required. Improved Files app generally.

Password protect Hidden photos album, possibly also protect per-app in the app’s Settings. “Require Face ID to open Maps” for example.

Photos on iOS to get feature parity with Photos for Mac, especially with editing tools. Vignettes, clarity, etc.

Music. I want crossfade. I want in-playlist sorting (newest added on top, or sort playlist by artist). I want swipe on art to skip track. And something genuinely as good as Discover Weekly over time. Or I’m sticking with Spotify.

Snooze notifications for 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 60 min etc. Sync notifications across devices. If I’ve actioned on iPhone, remove from iPad notification centre.

Better Do Not Disturb - options to hide all notification bubbles etc completely until it’s turned off so you can more easily detach from people while still using your device for web/music/etc. Recap what you missed when you turn it off again with a summary of all the notifications you got, grouped by app.

Step counter in Health - update it more frequently. No idea why it can’t be instant or near-instant instead of taking 10+ minutes to update the count.

End the stupidity of the overlayed volume HUD and the full-screen, un-dismissable/minimisable incoming call UI

Just a few ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Hardly. And thats not even a huge deal for many.

[doublepost=1546880334][/doublepost]

I’m curious what features you are thinking of.

Oh and I agree about the App Store. I’m fine with a ‘for you’ tab with the suggestions and stories but give us back a categories view and actually monitor that apps are correctly keyworded, not spamming keywords etc. also how about a wishlist in both stores that actually tells us if something on our list goes on sale. That’s a perfect thing for our ‘for you’ tab. And even let us decide if we want that tab at all. Especially on the iPhone where there’s really only room for 3 tabs and a ‘more’.

Coverflow was always nice. I am sure they could still have something like this without violating any patents. :)
Landscape mode is missing from a lot of built in apps now, including music.

Apps need to be simpler, especially the built in apps. A regular photo gallery would be nice, not something that takes a manual to figure out.

To me, iOS is just overly complicated and not the simple pleasure to use it once was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.