Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
- FFS Apple redesign the damn volume HUD already!!!
- Dark Mode

- A fresh redesign for the home screen

- password protect hidden photos folder - why create a hidden folder when you can just open it? If anything that would entice people to open it even more lol.

- Can we set the alarm volume from the alarm app rather than it going off the ringer volume?

I'm sure there's a few other annoying little things that I am forgetting.

Reactions: Askinas and aiwara

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wished Apple mail would update ALL folders on IOS when checking , not just on Mac..

- On iOS12.x... I really hate going into "All mail", "Sent, "Trash folders individually just to auto-update that folder when using IMAP. This could be Gmail issue???

Hopefully this will come before iOS13 but i'm leaving plenty of room :D

Previously i remember people told me it doesn't auto check with Gmail.. But now it does, so i dunno if people just didn't know or what. but mine auto syncs just fine,,, just not all folders like on Mac.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not that I think this type of thread is bad but I hope all realize IOS 13 is probably all written by now - there are reports of devices with it running in public world. I'm sure design is set - although there is probably the ability to add some minor things.
Many great ideas but if Apple uses from this forum probably will be 14

Zelda Chestnut

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
I'm sure this has been posted before, but before we know it WWDC 19 will be upon us, and I have a feeling that iOS 13 will be a huge upgrade. In a way, it sort of HAS to be, with their plateau of hardware sales. Especially for the iPad, a revamped, more powerful iOS will prompt more people to buy the tablet, especially the Pro models.

For both iPhone and iPad, I think there will be a revamped home screen at least in style. I would love if iOS icons now looked like macOS. And if we could not have to arrange everything in a grid, that would be amazing too. This would especially be great for the iPad.

For iPhone specifically, I think they essentially need to bring iPad functions of today to our mobile phones. Split screen apps, maybe even in PiP for newer and/or bigger models. Allow for a carousel of apps in the dock, not just the limit of 4. And allow for the dock to be dragged up from anywhere so you could switch to these apps at any time. I think the gen X phones could def take advantage of that with their longer screens.

For iPad, just give it the software it deserves!! Multiple windows/tabs with an app, TRACKPAD FUNCTIONALITY, a better Files system (I don't HATE the current system, but it can be improved for sure), and completely resizeable windows. I'm not opposed to iPad breaking off altogether to a "padOS" kind of deal, but I'm trying to keep this post within the realms of possibility lol, and at this point if they haven't already I really don't think it's going to happen. But, say they do... this would entice developers to create iPad apps specifically for the tablet, as opposed to just blowing up the iPhone version. I know, not all developers do that and respect the iPad, but too many of them nowadays just stretch the iPhone version for the larger screen and it's really annoying.

Anyway, those are my ideas and thoughts. Feel free to add ideas and functions I missed that you'd like to see :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
A lot of work on the default apps, buy Overcast and make it the Podcast app, and more work on opening up Siri to everyone are my big three.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
1) Collaboration with the various carriers and phone manufacturers for implementing support along with the transition to utilizing RCS. There are more users who would use the native messaging app if the SMS protocol was replaced by RCS.

2) Collaboration and support for the implementation of STIR/SHAKEN in validating telephone calls and messaging.

3) Universal compatibility across the most used mobile/desktop/server platforms....wishful thinking.

I'm sure there are others but I want an improved user experience when actually using my iPhone as just a telephone for calls and texts. Mmm...how about a dual boot mode whereby my phone OS merely boots into a simplified UI with just access to a Nokia 3120-clone. A plus is if I can throw it against a brick wall, ricochet off into a water puddle, fish it out, wipe it on my pants, and continue making calls or texts as though nothing ever happened.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I want them to implement a dark mode just so everyone can finally stop complaining about no dark mode (which wouldn't even be needed if they didn’t change to the flat design in iOS 7).

What I want most though is a return to the consistent 60fps smoothness of iOS 6 that has since been lost in later versions and that they get rid of all these random stutters that are littered around today's OS. iOS 12 was supposed to help with this but it hasn’t, it mainly just helps older devices run better. They need a complete overhaul of the underlaying structure of the OS for things to really change and to run at 60fps smooth again. The changes iOS 7 brought did more damage than good with this.

Also, more depth and shadows added back to the OS please. This flat fad has now become passé and is beyond stale. I don't mean we need a return to a complete skeumorphic design as I know that's highly unlikely with Jony Ive there overseeing things, but a modern take on it similar to the Books app would be great, although any change would be an improvement at this point.

Oh and PiP and split screen on iPhones would be great too. Thanks.

Edit: Also, fix your god awful text selection and auto correct please Apple. I had to use my Pixel phone just to carry on typing and editing this comment because it is so awful to do so on yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: secretk and Feyl

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It’s difficult to say because iOS 13 is meant to be a pretty comprehensive redesign/ overhaul so things that are currently an issue might not be so much after it has been released... otoh, if it’s a largely thematic makeover and they’re focused on that we might not get much by the way of iPad functionality at all!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
There was an article about how the redesign was pushed back from iOS 12 to 13 because they wanted to get on top of the glitchiness, lag etc that had crept in with 11 before the iOS 12 launch. From what we saw at WWDC last year (12 being a performance focused release) sounds like it's plausible the very least...

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
There was an article about how the redesign was pushed back from iOS 12 to 13 because they wanted to get on top of the glitchiness, lag etc that had crept in with 11 before the iOS 12 launch. From what we saw at WWDC last year (12 being a performance focused release) sounds like it's plausible the very least...

This seems to be the consensus among the tech pundits. Makes sense, too. So I’d say it’s more likely than not that we get at least a major UI overhaul if not a more substantial reworking.

Reactions: Falhófnir

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
The only thing rumored was "home screen redesign" to quote Gurman. If people are expecting a full redesign/overhaul they are going to be disappointed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only thing rumored was "home screen redesign" to quote Gurman. If people are expecting a full redesign/overhaul they are going to be disappointed.
It's also about the same timeframe that the iOS 7 update came out, in the sense of how many years and versions ago the last major redesign was. Certainly doesn't necessarily mean something specific, but another datapoint nonetheless.

Actual expectations of something in particular when nothing much is really know are usually not a good idea, but knowing that there's a good possibility of not even a probability of something like that happening, that seems to appropriate.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
9to5mac has an interesting opinion-piece that I fully agree with:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/11/skeuomorphism/

I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I’ve also been thinking that they will be adding some form of skeumorphism back to iOS in a visual refresh. I’d say it’s much needed. We had 6 years of the skeumorphic design (1-6), and now we’ve had 6 years of this flat design (7-12) that has become as stale as many on here thought of the skeumorphic look. If history proves right then iOS 13 should bring another fresh design. A modern take on skeumorphism as the above article states is what I’m betting and hoping for.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacFather and Feyl

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I would like Bluetooth to work in my Audi again! XS Max has known problem and no fix yet!

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
iOS 12 finally brought grouped notifications back so that was nice.

- change default apps (maps for example)
- Messages hub (1 app for you to respond to all your messaging platforms: iMessage, text, fb messenger, whatsapp and whatever else is out there these days, rather than going into each app to respond to messages)
- dark mode option
- change the damn volume HUD :mad:

what else do you guys wanna see?
Eliminate the goddam problem that the camera takes a pic if the lower volume and right side buttons are pressed simultaneously. The way I hold my phone I inadvertently do this several times a day, and I bet a lot of you do too. This is tremendouisly annoying.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Eliminate the goddam problem that the camera takes a pic if the lower volume and right side buttons are pressed simultaneously. The way I hold my phone I inadvertently do this several times a day, and I bet a lot of you do too. This is tremendouisly annoying.
Isnt that just because the lower volume button can be used to take a photo instead of the on screen button and has been an option for quite a while....quite a useful option at that!!

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
  • Live Photos play automatically when set as lock screen wallpapers
  • Battery percentage in the icon on X/XS/XR
  • customisable app logo positions would be nice so I don’t have to keep using iempty to create blank icons - never going to happen though
  • Landscape mode for the home screen on the X/XS would be nice (as per Max models)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.