Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I’ve always thought standard female voices on assistants are disgustingly promoting the cliché of someone’s secretary being a woman (hence a woman in an office is probably the secretary).
Not sure why people in the progressive Silicon Valley thought it just felt natural to give firm and rude orders to a woman.
Airforce studies find that pilots are more likely to respond to a female voice than a male one. For the same reason, alert signals are tuned to the frequenzy of a crying infant.

I think the assistant voices are by default female because female voices are generally considered more soothing (global mommy syndrome).

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
You know what? I give up, you are right. I AM offended that male, female, mom, dad, his, hers, he, she can no longer be used because some folks decide those words should no longer be use and somehow are offended by them. Get over yourselves folks. There I said it.

(OK so really I don't care what Apple does but I do think its stupid as F***.) :)
No one has ever said that.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Airforce studies find that pilots are more likely to respond to a female voice than a male one. For the same reason, alert signals are tuned to the frequenzy of a crying infant.

I think the assistant voices are by default female because female voices are generally considered more soothing (global mommy syndrome).
The overwhelming majority of Airforce pilots are men.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
If science proves there is, then there is...
If a friend of yours told you they identified as both male and female, why isn't that enough? Why should anyone care to tell them if they're right or wrong about how they or anyone else self-identifies?

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
This is literally not true. Sounds like hysteria to me.
You’re clearly struggling with comprehending the root cause of the resistance here.

I feel the question you asked have already been answered in ELI5 language by both myself and others.

If it’s not true and just hysteria, provide evidence that removal of male and female isn’t occurring more and more, little bit by little bit. HINT: we are actually discussing how Apples just removed the label of male and female voices in order to be genre neutral. ?

Let’s rewind a couple of months where hospitals were looking at removing the name breast milk to chest milk to not offend transgender.
Not happening you say ?

Reactions: Kram Sacul

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
un

Until one very particular day women couldn't vote, black people couldn't sit at the front of the bus, email didn't exist, you didn't exist. This is not an argument for thins staying the way they were and it is not papering over reality to say that you were born and should continue to live in this world.
The audacity to compare this nonsense with the monstrosity of racism and women’s rights. Just wow. ?

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
You’re clearly struggling with comprehending the root cause of the resistance here.

I feel the question you asked have already been answered in ELI5 language by both myself and others.

If it’s not true and just hysteria, provide evidence that removal of male and female isn’t occurring more and more, little bit by little bit. HINT: we are actually discussing how Apples just removed the label of male and female voices in order to be genre neutral. ?

Let’s rewind a couple of months where hospitals were looking at removing the name breast milk to chest milk to not offend transgender.
Not happening you say ?
Nothing you just described remotely takes away anyone’s ability to identify as strictly male or female. Why is it that whenever we try to be more inclusive, some of the ones already included perceive that as a loss rather than a gain?

• Haha
Reactions: Kram Sacul

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
The audacity to compare this nonsense with the monstrosity of racism and women’s rights. Just wow. ?
I didn’t compare it to anything. I pointed out that there are countless examples of times before something changed, which is no reason for those things to stay as they were. I’m sorry you missed that but I made it very clear.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
If a friend of yours told you they identified as both male and female, why isn't that enough? Why should anyone care to tell them if they're right or wrong about how they or anyone else self-identifies?
Thats not the same thing. But of course I would accept them. Friend or not. However belief doesnt change science.

This isn’t oppression. This is your allies being rational.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Thats not the same thing. But of course I would accept them. Friend or not. However belief doesnt change science.

This isn’t oppression. This is your allies being rational.
Science is the process by which we test and measure a hypothesis to formulate a theory. It’s an ongoing and elastic process that constantly overturns the previous understanding science itself provided. I’m sure there’s science from a hundred years ago that would state there are only two genders just as sure as I am the latest science would reveal that’s not the case. Problem is which science are people going to want to believe? The old one that aligns with their own beliefs or the new one that challenges them? It’s never as simple as if science says it then that’s it.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Science is the process by which we test and measure a hypothesis to formulate a theory. It’s an ongoing and elastic process that constantly overturns the previous understanding science itself provided. I’m sure there’s science from a hundred years ago that would state there are only two genders just as sure as I am the latest science would reveal that’s not the case. Problem is which science are people going to want to believe? The old one that aligns with their own beliefs or the new one that challenges them? It’s never as simple as if science says it then that’s it.
Yeah that’s my point.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
The audacity to describe women’s rights as a monstrosity. Just wow ?
Erm English comprehension skills would go along way mate. Or are you choosing just to take my words out of context?. Perhaps I’ve failed in delivering my views. I think continuing this conversation with someone that’s unable to see the bigger picture is just a waste of both our time. Have a great Easter break. Good luck to you.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Erm English comprehension skills would go along way mate. Or are you choosing just to take my words out of context?. Perhaps I’ve failed in delivering my views. I think continuing this conversation with someone that’s unable to see the bigger picture is just a waste of both our time. Have a great Easter break. Good luck to you.
Looks like you don’t see the irony on full display here. Good luck to you.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
You know what? I give up, you are right. I AM offended that male, female, mom, dad, his, hers, he, she can no longer be used because some folks decide those words should no longer be used and are somehow offended by them. Get over yourselves folks. There I said it.

(OK so really I don't care what Apple does but I do think its stupid as F***.) :)

Again, the only person offended here is you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.