Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
HAHA folks are offended that males sound like males and females sound like females to the point where you cant list that as an option and HE's the one that sensitive? ROFLMAO
Who was offended by that? Looking for literally any proof that anyone got offended by the Siri voices. Seems like y’all are making things up to get mad at here. Nobody else had their feelings hurt in this situation.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
How to spot when someone only understands biology at grade school level.
Wait what?!?!? From the sounds of things they don't teach biology in grade school anymore either.
im offended.....i dunno about what, but im offended.
As you should be :)
adding options doesn’t mean anyone is offended... it means they added options. The original options still exist. Sounds like you’re the one offended by options existing.
Nope not offended at all. Its just silly that NOW you have to select "Option 1" or "Option 2" or "Option 3" or "Option 4" and listen to each one verses say IF you preferred a male voice maybe having the "Male voice 1" or "Male voice 2" option, just because someone gets offended reading the word male or female. See you still have options !!

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
Great news. I wasn't liking the trend of AI Assistants across so many platforms being female voices. It's actually quite (subtly) emasculating for a man to have to deal with a female Siri, and I have for many years used the British English Male Voice and advise other males who don't want to be trained into obedience to switch their Siri voices to a male voice. It would also be nice if we could customise how we address Siri in the first place, as the name itself is still very feminine.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Who was offended by that? Looking for literally any proof that anyone got offended by the Siri voices. Seems like y’all are making things up to get mad at here. Nobody else had their feelings hurt in this situation.
Ok well, you are correct, no on here has actually stated they were offended (not what I meant) BUT some people are getting offended using terms like male, female, mom, dad, etc so Apple made that change so those people wouldn't be.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
When they said improve diversity and inclusion, I expect they will do that the normal way by removing the white sounding voices and replacing them with diverse voices. As for gender neutral voices it would be interesting to see what sort of androgynous diverse voices they pick to replace the current ones. Likely some androgynous Latinx voice, and someone speaking African-American Vernacular English is my guess. No idea what they will do with the other English language countries. I do hope they pick voices that I can understand though. If they keep the Indian voice at least it would match good customer service people and I have gotten calibrated to that.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Wait what?!?!? From the sounds of things they don't teach biology in grade school anymore either.

As you should be :)

Nope not offended at all. Its just silly that NOW you have to select "Option 1" or "Option 2" or "Option 3" or "Option 4" and listen to each one verses say IF you preferred a male voice maybe having the "Male voice 1" or "Male voice 2" option, just because someone gets offended reading the word male or female. See you still have options !!

It really does sound like you're the one offended here.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ok well, you are correct, no on here has actually stated they were offended (not what I meant) BUT some people are getting offended using terms like male, female, mom, dad, etc so Apple made that change so those people wouldn't be.
Apple wants all of us to be neutral:
Neutered or spay like pets.
The words male and female have a reason to exist. Nothing wrong with that.
Gotta be a weirdo to get offended by that.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
When they said improve diversity and inclusion, I expect they will do that the normal way by removing the white sounding voices and replacing them with diverse voices. As for gender neutral voices it would be interesting to see what sort of androgynous diverse voices they pick to replace the current ones. Likely some androgynous Latinx voice, and someone speaking African-American Vernacular English is my guess. No idea what they will do with the other English language countries. I do hope they pick voices that I can understand though. If they keep the Indian voice at least it would match good customer service people and I have gotten calibrated to that.
Why remove a certain type of voices?
Wouldn’t it be better to add more voices to represent diversity?
After all, a rainbow has more than one color, and that’s what makes it beautiful.

MJaP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I want Jony Ive's voice...

"Siri (Jony), what will the weather be like tomorrow?"

"Here at Apple we thought long and hard about how best to inform you about the weather on our beautifully designed HomePod, see how the carefully crafted speakers enrich my mellow slightly egocentric British voice in both the high and mid tones whilst the specially designed downward firing subwoofer's warmth is like a beautiful hug on a cold day. I have found some web result I think might be of use, I have sent them to your beautiful, almost magical iPhone 12 Pro Max which is a culmination of years of painstaking and thoughtful research into a form that rests luxuriantly in the hand and is enrobed in only the finest glass and metal..." (then you just get the sound of Jony climaxing over his own brilliance for the next minute).

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I've had two encounters with extraterrestrials in my life, so I know they exist, and they are here. I can't help but wonder what they think of us with these infantile priorities. I can't tell if it's because everyone's been in lockdown, where many folks are at home and dream-up of different ways to be offended, or we're just too stupid and not worthy to exist.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
How is there still no European Portuguese!!!!!! This is madness
+1.

It's textbook economic pandering to the masses. In this case, by virtue of Brazil having 200+ million people (potential customers) and Portugal only having 20+ million means Brazil takes economic priority and the dollars are speaking, despite how insulting it can be to Portuguese people and to Authentic European Portuguese , which has been largely degenerated by the Brazilian populace over time.

Why???
Brazilian Portuguese comes with Integrated SAMBA!
Brazilian Portuguese is not really "Portuguese". It's equivalent in difference to an ebonics-style language used by African-american communities when compared with true "English", and in the same degree and in same manner that the Brazilian "language" is when compared to European Portuguese

Reactions: rmariboe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.