Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I’ve always thought standard female voices on assistants are disgustingly promoting the cliché of someone’s secretary being a woman (hence a woman in an office is probably the secretary).
Not sure why people in the progressive Silicon Valley thought it just felt natural to give firm and rude orders to a woman.
Of course you have Bernie as your profile pic. Lol.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Today's beta also improves Siri voices in Ireland, Russia, and Italy to add Apple's Neural text to speech, which brings the total number of devices using this technology to 38.

What does this mean? 38 devices? That’s not very many, which could explain why Siri still is quite bad in many situations. I suppose you mean ”38 countries”. Otherwise, I can’t make much sense of this sentence.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Still waiting for celebrity voices:

Scarlett Johansson (Samantha from "Her")
Candice Bergen (SAL from "2010")
Douglas Rain (HAL from "2001: a space odyssey")
Matt Frewer (Max Headroom from "Max Headroom")
Ana de Armas (Joi from "Blade Runner 2049")
Michael J White (Universal Soldier)

• Love
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Okay when is Siri getting good though
I can just see the Siri team in a meeting.
Scene:

INTERIOR - Apple Park

SIRI TEAM MEMBER #1
Damn Tim is gonna be pissed when he hears that we have bupkis for the next release and no idea on how to make Siri not suck

SIRI TEAM MEMBER #2
Hey, we could tweak the voices and change some options and call it Siri inclusion and diversity. Should be able to have it done by end of the day. Marketing will know how to spin this into a "leading industry innovation" story and Tim will be thrilled. And our asses will not only be saved, but be the asses of the 14.5 heroes

APPLAUSE SIRI TEAM MEMBERS

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Who would have thought
Those complaining about it not saying male or female must have missed the part where it says there are four voices to choose from now. So numbering those voices really isn’t a big deal or some social justice warrior plot against your frail sensibilities.
No they said it was because they are more diverse and in the U.K. still has 2 not 4, who would have thought saying logic now days and facts is offensive

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
As many have said - each year we seem to get improvements to the voice experience of Siri, yet as a useful technology, it seems to be no better than it was when it was first introduced in the 4s.

Siri still doesn't seem to understand me, gets things wrong and on the rare moments when it is useful, simply returns snippets from Wikipedia (that I could've easily searched for in Safari).

Why is Siri still so bad? Serious question.

Moreover, I have a suspicion that the interface for setting up new reminders and appointments in their respective apps, have been a less than stellar UX for years, simply because:

Apple thinks that you are using Siri to do this
OR
They want to push you to Siri to do this.

How else can you explain iOS 14's new date picker and time entry in calendar and reminders?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.