Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Still waiting for celebrity voices:

Scarlett Johansson (Samantha from "Her")
Candice Bergen (SAL from "2010")
Douglas Rain (HAL from "2001: a space odyssey")
Matt Frewer (Max Headroom from "Max Headroom")
Ana de Armas (Joi from "Blade Runner 2049")
Max Headroom Siri would be great!

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
When they said improve diversity and inclusion, I expect they will do that the normal way by removing the white sounding voices and replacing them with diverse voices. As for gender neutral voices it would be interesting to see what sort of androgynous diverse voices they pick to replace the current ones. Likely some androgynous Latinx voice, and someone speaking African-American Vernacular English is my guess. No idea what they will do with the other English language countries. I do hope they pick voices that I can understand though. If they keep the Indian voice at least it would match good customer service people and I have gotten calibrated to that.
What is a white sounding voice versus another race’s voice?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
You’re offended by Apple not offering options?
not at all, the only critique i've ever had about siri voices is that i never felt like they were casual and expressive like competitors options, so i do like that there's a little more expressiveness to a couple of the voices. do i care if they're labeled by gender in the settings panel i will look at once and never go back to except on rare occasion? no. but apparently some of you are pretty worked up about it.

Edit: see below

Last edited:

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
There’s a lot of transphobic people in these comments
I’m not transphobic. I couldn’t care less about what someone wants to transition to. Good for them.

What I dislike is the pathetic actually ill minded view of the tiny population that gets offended when they see a male or female gender listed. If you have a logical mind, you will see that the vast vast majority of the human race has to give up (little bit by little bit) their title of male or female so as not to offend someone. It’s incredibly hypocritical.

Good UI design and actually being open to equality, would list masculine voices, feminine voices, neutral voices (which none of the current ones are, as they fall into one of the above two categories). And the novelty voices e.g. robotic, fictional characters, sci-fi etc.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Brazilian Portuguese is not really "Portuguese". It's equivalent in difference to an ebonics-style language used by African-american communities when compared with true "English", and in the same degree and in same manner that the Brazilian "language" is when compared to European Portuguese

I know... It's some sort of creole language . I was just trying to be funny... ?

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
These crybaby snowflakes in this thread who are acting like their lives have been ruined because it now says 'voice' instead of male or female are making me laugh so much. Imagine how empty your life must to be so upset about something so unimportant 😂
The irony is it’s the “snowflakes” that are pushing this crap to begin with. You do realise that right? If it’s so unimportant then why are Apple making these changes? Derpy derp.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
These crybaby snowflakes in this thread who are acting like their lives have been ruined because it now says 'voice' instead of male or female are making me laugh so much. Imagine how empty your life must to be so upset about something so unimportant 😂
You can say exactly the same about the converse point. Imagine being so triggered by something saying male and female that the creator has to change it to something ambiguous. "Imagine how empty your life must to be so upset about something so unimportant 😂"

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
When they said improve diversity and inclusion, I expect they will do that the normal way by removing the white sounding voices and replacing them with diverse voices. As for gender neutral voices it would be interesting to see what sort of androgynous diverse voices they pick to replace the current ones. Likely some androgynous Latinx voice, and someone speaking African-American Vernacular English is my guess. No idea what they will do with the other English language countries. I do hope they pick voices that I can understand though. If they keep the Indian voice at least it would match good customer service people and I have gotten calibrated to that.
"Remove the white sounding voices" sounds like a pretty bigoted thing to say. Do all white people sound the same because they're white? Do all black people sound the same because they're black? Of course not. It depends on their heritage, where they live, what they've been exposed to, etc.

Ridiculous.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
This isn't social justice. You as a person can identify however you'd like but that doesn't mean that the people (robots?) speaking to you have to do the same.
I didn't ask if this is social justice. The commenter claimed it was and I asked if there was anything wrong with social justice.

Question though: are you saying robots should be assigned a specific male/female gender? Not really sure I understand your take here.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
The irony is it’s the “snowflakes” that are pushing this crap to begin with. You do realise that right? If it’s so unimportant then why are Apple making these changes? Derpy derp.
why do you care one way or the other that apple is making this change?

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I didn't ask if this is social justice. The commenter claimed it was and I asked if there was anything wrong with social justice.

Question though: are you saying robots should be assigned a specific male/female gender? Not really sure I understand your take here.
Until today there were male and female Siri voices. People understood what that meant when they selected one or the other. Just because the person selecting the option may identify as non-binary doesn’t mean that the list they select from can’t be male and female. You can’t paper over reality because it might make someone upset to face it.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
un
Until today there were male and female Siri voices. People understood what that meant when they selected one or the other. Just because the person selecting the option may identify as non-binary doesn’t mean that the list they select from can’t be male and female. You can’t paper over reality because it might make someone upset to face it.
Until one very particular day women couldn't vote, black people couldn't sit at the front of the bus, email didn't exist, you didn't exist. This is not an argument for thins staying the way they were and it is not papering over reality to say that you were born and should continue to live in this world.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
It really does sound like you're the one offended here.
You know what? I give up, you are right. I AM offended that male, female, mom, dad, his, hers, he, she can no longer be used because some folks decide those words should no longer be used and are somehow offended by them. Get over yourselves folks. There I said it.

(OK so really I don't care what Apple does but I do think its stupid as F***.) :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.