Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024

iOS 18 will feature a revamped Home Screen that is "more customizable," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. He revealed this information in his Power On newsletter today, but he did not provide any specific details.

iOS-18-Mock-Feature-Baubles.jpg

Apple will announce iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June. Other features and changes rumored for the software update include new generative AI functionality for Siri and multiple apps, RCS support in the Messages app for improved messaging between iPhones and Android devices, design changes, and more.

With iOS 18, Gurman believes Apple will focus on new "AI tools that help manage your daily life" more than "ChatGPT-like generative AI features."

Gurman reiterated that at least some Apple employees believe that iOS 18 will be the biggest software update in the iPhone's history.

For more details about the update, check out our iOS 18 roundup and latest rumor recap.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to Feature 'More Customizable' Home Screen

I wonder what will happen if Gurman ever takes a vacation.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
And the way Apple does things, there's going to be more jiggles, more swipes, more taps, more tap and holds, more taps, holds, and shakes, more drags and drops, more stacks, more two finger, three finger, four finger touch, swipe, taps and holds -- more gestures and accidents everywhere.

Last edited:

Atog

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2023
And the way Apple does things, there's going to be more jiggles, more swipes, more taps, more tap and holds, more taps, holds, and shakes, more drags and drops, more stacks, more two finger, three finger, four finger touch, swipe, taps and holds -- more gestures and accidents everywhere.
And on top of that you'll need to wait till x.x.1 update for it to work decently.

Reactions: antiprotest

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
AI managing my life? Sounds like quite dystopian stuff. I already find it creepy if AI influences the decisions of people for example by suggesting a restaurant or the "best" route to your destination.
The way AI is currently… its like asking your neighbour to manage your life. You have no idea what data its trained on, its biases, who programmed it, its restrictions, any back doors.

And you wouldnt ask your neighbour to manage your life.. so why a early model AI.

It’s better to do it yourself.

rustygh

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
basically they need to make what is there for theming easier, which is obvious from all the posts here, that no one knows how, or can do it. If you use clear spaces, Widgy Widgets, and shortcuts, you can do everything listed in the comments. I even use focus modes so that I can tap switch to a whole new home theme, that includes multiple pages. On Stock iOS. the only thing we really need is a lock for home screen, so if you accidentally long hold all your current icons are bouncing & ready to be tapped and lost, especially bad since AOD.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its September 2024…

People report cameras and microphones activating when phone is in standby

People report notes and documents being altered

Chats from multiple apps are reported to bring merged and random photos from photo albums being sent to contacts

Past emails are being sent to random contacts

Bank account transfers are being performed without user intervantion

Browsing history is being sent to phone contacts

You have been generatived… A.I. A.I. Aye Aye

Sir, we cant stop it, the damage has been done… millions of our customers are reporting serious breaches. Hundreds of millions. 😱😱😱

Just imagine what could happen without the right restrictions, checks and safeguards in AI?

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Its September 2024…

People report cameras and microphones activating when phone is in standby

People report notes and documents being altered

Chats from multiple apps are reported to bring merged and random photos from photo albums being sent to contacts

Past emails are being sent to random contacts

Bank account transfers are being performed without user intervantion

Browsing history is being sent to phone contacts

You have been generatived… A.I. A.I. Aye Aye

Sir, we cant stop it, the damage has been done… millions of our customers are reporting serious breaches. Hundreds of millions. 😱😱😱

Just imagine what could happen without the right restrictions, checks and safeguards in AI?
Skynet from terminator style

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I'd like the ability to switch to a scalable alphabetic list / most used list similar ro what the Apple Watch can do. Keep the icons but add the ability to call up such a list when needed.
I guess you could remove all of the regular screens and just use the App Library. If you pull down on that page, you get an alphabetic list of your apps.

I’ve got a lot of apps so not sure how practical that would be for me. Also, I don’t always remember the exact name of an app that I only use now and then.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
The way AI is currently… its like asking your neighbour to manage your life. You have no idea what data its trained on, its biases, who programmed it, its restrictions, any back doors.
That's a problem. Even people who create an AI only have a very abstract idea of how it works. It is hard or even impossible to stop AI from having its own agenda and manipulating people.

AI always needs a "utility function" that basically rewards it for doing the thing we want it to do. That often goes wrong though. For example bots ChatGPT have the goal for getting as maximize the "thumbs up" and minimize the "thumbs down" they get for their answers. It turns out though that instead of giving the best answer and telling the truth, an AI bot gets more positive feedback, if it tells people what they WANT to hear. Things people want to hear do not necessarily need to be true though. So an AI is even rewarded for lying.

If you ask an early AI bot what 2+2 is, it might tell you "4", but if you then insist that "5" is the right answer, the AI bot might say "Of course you are right. 2+2 is 5!" because it is trained to get positive feedback. Modern bots might not do such obvious lies, but they may be more sophisticated in lying. They might lie, if they think that you will not detect the lie. That is a much more dangerous lie than the 2+2=5 example.

There are famous AI problems like the stamp collector problem. If you tell the AI to collect as many stamps as possible and getting a stamp is the only thing that gives it an award, it will do anything to get as many stamps as possible. It might blackmail or hurt people or even start a war just to get more stamps. Of course you can tweak the utility function to give negative reward for all things that you do not want to happen, but that means that you have to think of all things that could go wrong and that is impossible.

People often think that you could "sandbox" an AI by only giving it a copy data from the internet and do not give it any power to send data back or even steer physical devices like cars. They underestimate though how much a smart AI could manipulate or even blackmail people. For example if multiple people have access to the same AI, it could find out information about person A and threaten to give that information to person B if person A does not comply. It could even blackmail a single person by saying "I know how to heal your mother from cancer, but I will only help you, if...". This future might be closer than we think.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
I'd like the ability to switch to a scalable alphabetic list / most used list similar ro what the Apple Watch can do. Keep the icons but add the ability to call up such a list when needed.
It would easy to add this to the Pull down on the Home Screen when viewing your App Library feature
I presume this is sarcasm, as this functionality already exists

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I hope they refresh the 10yr old iOS UI. The current UI from iOS 7 is old and tired now.
Agreed, even if they just added a new in-between gray mode like visionOS. I'm not a fan that our two UI style options are stark white or dark black. And hopefully they do macOS next.

Reactions: iLuddite

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I presume this is sarcasm, as this functionality already exists
The alphabetic list that the App Library search field pulls up is less than ideal since it puts each app on its own line and requires a bit of scrolling. I would much prefer a four-across grid of apps sorted alphabetically, which might be what the original poster was getting at (similar to the Android app drawer)

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
As long as I can turn all the AI crap off I am happy. I don't need to subcontract every one of my thoughts and processes out to an outsourced moron who doesn't understand the context or reasoning behind what I am doing

We already have AI (or more precisely, ML) identifying people, animals, and other objects in photos on iOS to name just one example.

In other words, there are countless useful use cases for AI that aren't a ChatGPT-like bot.

Reactions: Atog and Tagbert

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
This is already there.
Go to the app library, tap the search field at the top and… Bam. Every app on your phone organized into an alphabetical list.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.