Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will include a "slew of new AI features," according to a report this week from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iOS-18-Mock-iPhone-16-Feature-Gray.jpg

The report claims that Apple is training both Siri and the iPhone's built-in Spotlight search tool on large language models, with a goal of improving each feature's ability to answer more complex questions accurately. The revamped version of Spotlight could also offer deeper integration with "specific" functions and features in apps.

Apple has also explored AI-powered features that would allow users to automatically generate playlists in Apple Music and presentation slides in the Keynote app, the report said. Other apps that are rumored to gain deeper AI integration in iOS 18 include Health, Messages, Numbers, Pages, and Shortcuts, and there will likely be more.

On an earnings call this month, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company was working on generative AI and would share details "later this year." Apple is expected to announce iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June, and the update should be released in September. Some new AI features announced later could be exclusive to iPhone 16 models, which are rumored to get a "significantly" upgraded Neural Engine.

Beyond iOS 18 and iPadOS 18, Gurman said Apple is planning to add some new AI features to macOS 15, and to its app development tool Xcode.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to Include 'Slew of New AI Features' for Siri and More

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I wonder how useful / reliable these features will actually be... will it be a gimmick like the AI photo editing in the new Samsung phones, or something that's genuinely useful like Call Screening on Pixels? 🤔

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Siri had a long head start and Apple squandered it. And it required such a massive event in the market to kick Apple into paying attention to this area. It's really so pathetic. I am not optimistic at all but I am hopeful. AI is not a deal breaker for me so I am staying with Apple products and ecosystem no matter what for now. AI features would be a nice-to-have for me and I wish Apple would do a good job. But regardless, they're so pathetic to let things come to this.

Last edited:

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
The amount of times it doesn't answer and insteads "shows you what it found on the web" makes it useless to me.

Siri basically trained me to not use it
My favourite is the 'you will need to unlock your phone to do that' response. I mean, I admit I am being lazy the one time a year I ask Siri something like 'what is on my calendar today', but if I have to go to the phone to check the calendar, it defeats the purpose of asking about it from across the room.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My favourite is the 'you will need to unlock your phone to do that' response. I mean, I admit I am being lazy the one time a year I ask Siri something like 'what is on my calendar today', but if I have to go to the phone to check the calendar, it defeats the purpose of asking about it from across the room.

I forgot about that one!
Great point

I'd long ago given up trying that stuff as I could never figure out how to get whatever permissions it wants correctly set up. Just broken from the get go with no visible or identifiable way to fix the problem.

Apple is SO far removed from "it just works" now that it's laughable to think this is the same company

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Apple has already started collecting way more metadata on your devices in both iOS and MacOS.

There are more data collection daemons/services/Agents running to derive this data locally on your devices, including:

• Biome
  • Photoanalysis (been there for a while but more metadata now)
  • IntelligencePlatform

When you take a picture with your iPhone, there's a lot more metadata collected than most people know about. It's not just Spotlight.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Apple has already started collecting way more metadata on your devices in both iOS and MacOS.

There are more data collection daemons/services/Agents running to derive this data locally on your devices, including:

• Biome
  • Photoanalysis (been there for a while but more metadata now)
  • IntelligencePlatform

When you take a picture with your iPhone, there's a lot more metadata collected than most people know about. It's not just Spotlight.

Explains why battery life seems so "meh" these days (to me)

Reactions: glowplug

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
If apples vision of AI is making keynote slideshows it will just show how utterly out of touch they are with AI tech and what people actually want. Really! No one cares about keynote, please give us something useful and fun to play with!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.