Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredn3ck

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
USA
Currently, Siri sucks aassssssss.I look forward to seeing what Apple does to improve the Siri experience, but as things are currently, if I was a rock star, the interstate here in Tennessee would be littered with iPhones that I threw out my Jeep's window after too many arguments with her, just trying to get simple answers for my questions....

Siri (currently) sucks horribly hard. But maybe that's just because of my southern accent.
I will second this opinion! I'm afraid Apple has missed the AI boat, they are so far behind its embarrassing.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I will second this opinion! I'm afraid Apple has missed the AI boat, they are so far behind its embarrassing.
Is the AI boat that great? Look at the ruckus Google had two days before with its Gemini AI tool. Really somethings you can't test without releasing it into the wild with AI?
One could say Apple is being a lot more careful walking this AI path than other tech companies. There are likely other examples of opps we made a AI boo boo out there.

Reactions: Tagbert

Fredn3ck

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
USA
I equate Apples SIRI FAILURE to Tesla's "Full Self Driving" both are EPIC corporate failures that have gone on for more than a flipping decade!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Is the AI boat that great? Look at the ruckus Google had two days before with its Gemini AI tool. Really somethings you can't test without releasing it into the wild with AI?
One could say Apple is being a lot more careful walking this AI path than other tech companies. There are likely other examples of opps we made a AI boo boo out there.

First what is Apple’s definition of AI?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
First what is Apple’s definition of AI?
You can kinda see what they are up in this past article
reference
The breakthrough in AI efficiency opens new possibilities for future iPhones, such as more advanced Siri capabilities, real-time language translation, and sophisticated AI-driven features in photography and augmented reality. The technology also sets the stage for iPhones to run complex AI assistants and chatbots on-device, something Apple is already said to be working on.
Apple's work on generative AI could eventually be incorporated into its ‌Siri‌ voice assistant. Apple in February 2023 held an AI summit and briefed employees on its large language model work. According to Bloomberg, Apple is aiming for a smarter version of Siri that's deeply integrated with AI. Apple is planning to update the way that ‌Siri‌ interacts with the Messages app, allowing users to field complex questions and auto-complete sentences more effectively. Beyond that, Apple is rumored to be planning to add AI to as many Apple apps as possible.
Apple is reportedly developing its own generative AI model called "Ajax". Designed to rival the likes of OpenAI's GPT-3 and GPT-4, Ajax operates on 200 billion parameters, suggesting a high level of complexity and capability in language understanding and generation. Internally known as "Apple GPT," Ajax aims to unify machine learning development across Apple, suggesting a broader strategy to integrate AI more deeply into Apple's ecosystem.
As of the latest reports, Ajax is considered more capable than the earlier generation ChatGPT 3.5. However, it's also suggested that OpenAI's newer models may have advanced beyond Ajax's capabilities as of September 2023.
So there's some of the rumored directions they are working in with AI.

Another example from online was mentioned in this twitter post by a Apple party

Look at the two links in his tweeter post
Just in time for the holidays, we are releasing some new software today from Apple machine learning research. MLX is an efficient machine learning framework specifically designed for Apple silicon (i.e. your laptop!)

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
You can kinda see what they are up in this past article
reference

So there's some of the rumored directions they are working in with AI.

Another example from online was mentioned in this twitter post by a Apple party

Look at the two links in his tweeter post

Thanks!

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I saw some rumors about integrating AI into Spotlight.

I wonder, with as much bad press as Siri has gotten, would Apple retire the Siri name and switch to using Spotlight as the name for their voice assistant? Conceptuallly Spotlight has always represented a way to find things. It would be a more distinct sound to listen for. Fewer accidental triggers. Also no conflict with people named Siri.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I saw some rumors about integrating AI into Spotlight.

I wonder, with as much bad press as Siri has gotten, would Apple retire the Siri name and switch to using Spotlight as the name for their voice assistant? Conceptuallly Spotlight has always represented a way to find things. It would be a more distinct sound to listen for. Fewer accidental triggers. Also no conflict with people named Siri.

Calling for Spotlight kinda doesn’t flow. Shorten it? “Yo Spot!” ;)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CNBC had an article about Samsung AI phones.

Eventually, Wood said, smartphone makers want to achieve “anticipatory computing” — the idea that AI “is smart enough to learn your behavior as a user and make the device so much more intuitive and predicting what you want to do next without you having to do much.”
But the reality is that a lot of these perks are not actually on-device and still rely on processing in the cloud, according to IDC’s Ma. He added that, even with AI capabilities on devices, it will take a “number of years” before third-party developers figure out a “killer use case or that compelling use case that consumer can’t do without.”
Wood said the danger is that smartphone manufacturers talk a lot about AI, rather than about the experiences that the technology can deliver for users.
“Consumers have no idea what an AI smartphone is, they need the use cases to go round it,” Wood said. The risk is that there is “AI fatigue.”
Might be companies are just looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow you know. You know how that goes.

Reactions: dk001 and Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Calling for Spotlight kinda doesn’t flow. Shorten it? “Yo Spot!” ;)
Shortening it would lead to more false positives. I think having the longer, more distinctive phrase is better from that standpoint. Saying “spotlight” is the same number of syllables as “Siri” but there are fewer other words that sound similar.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Shortening it would lead to more false positives. I think having the longer, more distinctive phrase is better from that standpoint. Saying “spotlight” is the same number of syllables as “Siri” but there are fewer other words that sound similar.

While true it is kind of like giving your dog or cat a long name.

There are too many false activations with Siri. No way totally turn it completely off either. All you can do is stop it from listening and disable per function. :(

Wonder just what they will come up with?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Doesn’t make sense for you to speak on behalf of others. The only vote you get is your own. I definitely want this!

Personally I would agree with you if there is an on/off option. If it is embedded, I would say no without significant additional development. With what we saw from the lifetime of Siri, there is significant cause for concern.

Reactions: glowplug

LightProtector

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2023
I’ll believe it when I see it. In the past they’ve done “big” Siri improvements that hardly amount to anything more than supporting a new category.
But AI is probably what changes it completely. They don’t need to hard code anything when Siri can semantically understand speech and comprehend it on its own. It’s responses as a result will be more dynamic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.