Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
On top of previous post i wanna AI does:

remove backround instead of isolating object i have no way to make new pic from

when i create new contact or email and entering phone number or email or name i wanna to get suggestions with relevant contact info that can be in my messages, emails or chat apps

when i have morning and afternoon shifts Alarm clock would understand i need to turn allarm on biweekly basi
or at least be able on command turn alarm based on sleeping schedule on and off for whole week. i cant make her even find that alarm. But there can be language barier as english is not system language

Siri be smart and be able switch languages for dictation of messages based on what recepient and sender understand not her

thats all what come on my mind now

but btw is anyone sending comments from safari on iphone? editor is horrible experience for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001 and Tagbert

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
As others have said I’ll believe it when I see it. They’ve bigged up Siri updates for years and its barely any better from when it started.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

garranhado

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Apple need to merge Siri and Spotlight.

Also we need a more powerful Spotlight to search on web and capabilities like chat gpt. iOS / iPadOS need a gesture (maybe swipe from top of screen) to show the Spotlight from everywhere.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The amount of times it doesn't answer and insteads "shows you what it found on the web" makes it useless to me.

Siri basically trained me to not use it

And I am going to be livid if they lock functionality behind the 16 Pro. Siri as it is can’t do anything without an internet connection (despite them saying it can at two different WWDCs it’s still useless) and ChatGPT has proven that if you give it an internet connection it can put Siri to complete shame. I want to see full on-device Siri, but they’ve forced us to have an internet connection for it for ten years now. Bloody use it then and get this idiot out of my phone.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple need to merge Siri and Spotlight.

Also we need a more powerful Spotlight to search on web and capabilities like chat gpt. iOS / iPadOS need a gesture (maybe swipe from top of screen) to show the Spotlight from everywhere.

They’ve had the best name and concept from the very beginning and absolutely squandered it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m getting the feeling they are still going to screw this up somehow.

For a company the size of Apple this should be dead simple. Drop in replacement. They should be thanking their deities LLMs just fell like a gift from the sky to solve their Siri problem. I hope they manage to do at least that.

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
While Apple explore unuseful features (who cares about playlists in Spotify???), Microsoft released in 2023 an AI integrated in their OS and Office Suite that works, and Siri is dumb as it was in 2008. Tim Cook and his board must leave this company, asap.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
And yet here we all are, using their products, reading about rumored new products, and taking the time to comment extensively. Seems to me that if someone is truly disillusioned maybe time to move on, yeah?
We are here because we invested in their products, and we are facing a company of dealers and not a company of developers.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
If you stay within the bounds of what Siri does then it’s a fine feature. I use it mainly to control my smart home. The problem with Siri is that what it can do well is a VERY small set of things. Bashing it as irredeemable is too reductionist IMO. Apple can make Siri great. They’ve purchased over 30 AI companies over the last 12 months. Will they make Siri great? Who knows? But clearly they CAN if they want to.

“Hey Siri! If you could be anything you wanted if Apple decided to just go for it, what would you be?”
Siri: “I have some websites that might be what you are looking for …”.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Lets be honest

It's going to be

1. Photo eraser tools
  2. Siri can now turn wifi off on command
  3. Look up will now work on videos
Apple are so far behind Google and Gemini its not even funny, they can buy up lots of AI start ups to desperately try and catch up but the fact is they did NOTHING until now while Google has been doing this for years on Pixel devices and now Samsung gets some of their goodies like circle to search.

I have the 15 Pro and Pixel 8, if you focus on actual useful SMART features in the OS, Pixel dumps all over it.

Apple are so focused on subscription services these days, pretending green bubbles are for poor and trying to appeal to TikTok users that tech innovation was left behind.

They have all our Apple user data to build from. Personally I think we will end up with a split personality Siri that argues with itself.

Or Tattle Tale Siri that monitors and tells on you.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
It will be interesting to see Apple’s approach to AI compared to the likes of… everyone else, really given their insistence on performing this stuff on device as opposed to their own data centers

That and anything that makes Siri less useless is welcome in my book

Reactions: Tagbert

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I was thinking about what Apple’s approach to AI might be then had a sad thought, when Apple came out with a “cloud”, it wasn’t a true cloud but rather something to facilitate information sharing between your Apple devices. Enclosing instead of expanding. Hope they don’t pull something like that for Apple AI.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
While Apple explore unuseful features (who cares about playlists in Spotify???), Microsoft released in 2023 an AI integrated in their OS and Office Suite that works, and Siri is dumb as it was in 2008. Tim Cook and his board must leave this company, asap.
Yeah. My friend applauded new version of PowerPoint that can design professionally looking presentations for him using AI or machine learning.

I would welcome little things. Convert video to audio, even mp3, convert text to audio. Well working autocorrect for smaller languages (current is disaster compare to android), intelligent sleep planing based on working shifts.

From bigger, personal voice that I can freely use for video voice overs or dabbing even generated for other languages I do not know. I do not mind accent :D

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I was thinking about what Apple’s approach to AI might be then had a sad thought, when Apple came out with a “cloud”, it wasn’t a true cloud but rather something to facilitate information sharing between your Apple devices. Enclosing instead of expanding. Hope they don’t pull something like that for Apple AI.
What are you talking about? iCloud is “cloud” in the same sense as Dropbox, Google Drive, MS Onedrive, and others. How does that relate to AI?

Reactions: Surf Monkey

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
What are you talking about? iCloud is “cloud” in the same sense as Dropbox, Google Drive, MS Onedrive, and others. How does that relate to AI?

No it isn’t.
iCloud is a computing service with cloud like services built in an is the default Apple service. It is designed for Apple devices specifically allowing some services to be accessed from outside the Apple world. Specifically limited. If you live in an Apple world it works well. If you dont’ it is of limited use. Other cloud services are not OS specific and can be used across OS’s.

As for rating to AI, I am wondering if Apple will build it specifically for and only used in the Apple world. Make it the default limiting usability of other AI systems.

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
How about call screening? you have to admit that googles call screening is pretty cool? Lets hope that Apple gets it right.. instead of focusing on finger gestures??

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
No it isn’t.
iCloud is a computing service with cloud like services built in an is the default Apple service. It is designed for Apple devices specifically allowing some services to be accessed from outside the Apple world. Specifically limited. If you live in an Apple world it works well. If you dont’ it is of limited use. Other cloud services are not OS specific and can be used across OS’s.

As for rating to AI, I am wondering if Apple will build it specifically for and only used in the Apple world. Make it the default limiting usability of other AI systems.
I am sure that Apple will build their AI to run on their devices. What benefit would it be to run on other systems?

I do not expect them to build a generic ChatGPT answerbot clone. There would be little point to that and there would be no reason for anyone outside of Apple's systems to use it. They are more likely to build AI that integrates with their hardware and software and makes that easier to use and more powerful.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
No it isn’t.

Yeah. But the primary features people use are email and backup. While Apple hyped the crap out of documents and apps in iCloud that never really took off. At least that’s my understanding of it.

Reactions: dk001

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I am sure that Apple will build their AI to run on their devices. What benefit would it be to run on other systems?

I do not expect them to build a generic ChatGPT answerbot clone. There would be little point to that and there would be no reason for anyone outside of Apple's systems to use it. They are more likely to build AI that integrates with their hardware and software and makes that easier to use and more powerful.

Makes me wonder. Adding a “shutter release” to the iPhone may be a misdirect and the actual addition is making the former mute button into an AI Siri button.

Reactions: Tagbert

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
How about call screening? you have to admit that googles call screening is pretty cool? Let’s hope that Apple gets it right.. instead of focusing on finger gestures??

On the rare occasions when it actually activates and works the live transcription function for call screening actually isn’t bad. But it’s picky about when and if it activates at all.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'd be happy if they'd just reduce the number of times Siri guesses at what I mean - I'd be happier with "I'm sorry, I don't understand that" (and point to an extensive online catalog of phrases it *does* understand) - along with some sort of quoting mechanism so it will take the following text verbatim.

I've run into situations where I ask Siri, say, to remind me in the morning to set up a repeating reminder for something, and Siri tells me that it can't set up repeating reminders and I'll have to use my phone (yes, dammit, I know you can't handle it, that's why I'm asking you to remind me to do it on my phone later - thus the need for a verbatim mode - stop trying to parse instructions out of the text that I simply want you to repeat back to me in the morning). It gets to where I have to contort what I tell Siri to not mention time - "Hey Siri, remind me at 10am to prepare that thing I need for the 2pm meeting" can cause trouble. Similarly, I want to be able to say, "Siri, you're getting the name of the restaurant wrong, let me spell it for you...". But, no, instead, they keep presenting Siri as being fully conversant and then letting it fail hard on things that would probably cause you to yell at an actual assistant.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
It was a quote from the movie “Three Amigos,” posted below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.