Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I hope they are able to pull this off. I’d welcome a Siri that did a better job of interpreting your requests and a better job of matching that to actual available services on your device. Too often those connections fail and you just get “found this on the web” as a punt. Using an LLM AI should make that much better. Siri might even be able to do more than one thing at a time!

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Can’t wait for more features like Optimized Battery Charging which is useless if you also charge your phone while in the car.

• Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

MAlbi

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
The AI term needs to be clearly defined. As it is in the headline “AI feature”. GPT-3 equivalent features in my opinion. Or I do not know. It is necessary to stop using AI as buzzword. I need to know available CPU capacity, tokens used. And this number best be updated on some regular basis. So that I can choose better. Do not call me fanboy, hehe, this kind of AI “content capable” is nothing, what matters is the languague model. Hope Siri 2 will be useful at least like Google was some 4 years ago. Current Siri is dissapointment to me and I am not using Siri for any direct tasks. Since I am defaulted to internet search results in perhaps 80-90% of my requests. Current Siri dictionary is a shame. Since Apple sometimes creates great ideas, I wish Siri 2 be the next great idea.

Last edited:

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Siri is great and frustrating in equal measure. I sometimes find myself tearing my hair out. We have 3 HomePods-sometimes, I can be in the lounge and ask Siri to play something, and the light goes on, then off, and it responds, and plays in the bloody kitchen. Why? Or, I’ll ask for a song to be played from my library, and it’ll tell me it can’t find it. Not even complex. And the cross-device integration is sometimes all over the place. Sometimes what’s playing will display on my watch, sometimes it doesn’t-or it’ll show something completely different that’s paused, and then opening the Home App to figure what’s going on, that doesn’t always know either. All of those to be improved on would be awesome.

A feature I would love to see is photo imports. When I backup my photos to my Mac, I might leave it until there are several hundred to import. What I’d like to be able to do is whilst it’s connected and after importing them all, is be able to manually select the photos I then want to delete from the phone as they’re all up in front of me. That would be super helpful!

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Isn’t Live Voicemail essentially call screening?
The Pixel's Call Screening feature lets you interact with the other person even without answering the phone using Google's AI assistant as an intermediary.

Live Voicemail is just a live transcription, with no interaction (unless you actually answer the call).

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Can’t wait for more features like Optimized Battery Charging which is useless if you also charge your phone while in the car.
Would it help you to set the Charge Optimization setting to “80%” instead “Optimized Battery Charging”? Optimized is designed to work in one scenario But the explicit 80% would work in any charging situation.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Siri is great and frustrating in equal measure. I sometimes find myself tearing my hair out. We have 3 HomePods-sometimes, I can be in the lounge and ask Siri to play something, and the light goes on, then off, and it responds, and plays in the bloody kitchen. Why? Or, I’ll ask for a song to be played from my library, and it’ll tell me it can’t find it. Not even complex. And the cross-device integration is sometimes all over the place. Sometimes what’s playing will display on my watch, sometimes it doesn’t-or it’ll show something completely different that’s paused, and then opening the Home App to figure what’s going on, that doesn’t always know either. All of those to be improved on would be awesome.

A feature I would love to see is photo imports. When I backup my photos to my Mac, I might leave it until there are several hundred to import. What I’d like to be able to do is whilst it’s connected and after importing them all, is be able to manually select the photos I then want to delete from the phone as they’re all up in front of me. That would be super helpful!
Can’t you do that from the Photos > Import screen?
If not, take a look at the Image Capture app. It’s an older utility that lets you import photos from you phone. It will also let you choose which photos to delete. (BTW It does use a strange icon, circle-slash, to mean “delete” )

Otherwise, if you were to use iCloud phots, your photos could be automatically synced to your Mac and with optimized storage selected on your phone, you would always have access to your photos and not have to worry about whether to delete a photo or not.

Reactions: mjs916

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
God so help... if opening every Apple iOS 18 app for the first time pops up the same copy/pasted screen telling me about its "exciting!" new AI features... that might be the straw that pushes me to Android.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
At what point will Siri finally be what Apple marketing claimed that it would be from the start?

How many times did the English "listener" make things complicated compared to the Japanese "listener"? It did that too many times to me.

Back in 2018, I got a Google speaker and would ask it several things and then, do the same with Siri, and Siri could only complete about 1/3 the requests.

It still feels as though Siri on macOS is just as useful as PlainTalk in MacOS 8.x in 1998.

Hellokittystampmyfacein

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2023
Can we just do something else instead of Siri she doesn’t understand anything how about alternative since Apple is giving out alternatives like maybe chat gpt

Todd Fisher

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Currently, Siri sucks aassssssss.I look forward to seeing what Apple does to improve the Siri experience, but as things are currently, if I was a rock star, the interstate here in Tennessee would be littered with iPhones that I threw out my Jeep's window after too many arguments with her, just trying to get simple answers for my questions....

Siri (currently) sucks horribly hard. But maybe that's just because of my southern accent.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
If you stay within the bounds of what Siri does then it’s a fine feature. I use it mainly to control my smart home. The problem with Siri is that what it can do well is a VERY small set of things. Bashing it as irredeemable is too reductionist IMO. Apple can make Siri great. They’ve purchased over 30 AI companies over the last 12 months. Will they make Siri great? Who knows? But clearly they CAN if they want to.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Lets be honest

It's going to be

1. Photo eraser tools
  2. Siri can now turn wifi off on command
  3. Look up will now work on videos
Apple are so far behind Google and Gemini its not even funny, they can buy up lots of AI start ups to desperately try and catch up but the fact is they did NOTHING until now while Google has been doing this for years on Pixel devices and now Samsung gets some of their goodies like circle to search.

I have the 15 Pro and Pixel 8, if you focus on actual useful SMART features in the OS, Pixel dumps all over it.

Apple are so focused on subscription services these days, pretending green bubbles are for poor and trying to appeal to TikTok users that tech innovation was left behind.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
As i posted earlier:

Post in thread 'Apple Developing AI Tool to Help Developers Write Code for Apps'
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ers-write-code-for-apps.2419561/post-32943385

i want full AI shortcut creation. but even more.

I wanna Shortcut app be aware of all apps with shortcut functionality and suggest me which apps to install to manage my requirement. both free and paid.

Second there needs to be store or gallery of shortcuts and app should be aware of them and suggest me if some fits my needs and fine tune it for my environment .

That would be deal! Then i would call it intelligence not just robot who can do limited tasks faster then me

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.