Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Hi, I'm a graduate student doing some research for a professor at my university, and I have a few questions about IOS6 which I don't know where else to turn to have answered. If any of you can help or direct me to resources that may be able to help, I'd greatly appreciate it. The questions I have are as follows:

*When locked, can the phone be forensically analyzed? (specifically using a Paraben Mobile Device Seizure G2?)

*What system data is encrypted?

*are stored emails, texts, notes, etc encrypted?

We are a computer lab specializing in cyber security and I am new to the program so I'm learning as I go. Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
hey there, first step is to jailbreak the phone. then u can ssh into it. i think root password is alpine or alpine1. u then get access to file system. i didnt' dig too much but when browsed using ssh, files are (appear to be) named with some weird strings. for instance, inside adobe reader u may have a filed called "make money.pdf" 6mb, ok so u will see a file of that size but name will be X002NN2FANXKDZ.pdf ...

also apps are sandboxed. the file system isn't anything like PC or Android. on ios you put files INSIDE an app. so if your app goes, all of your files are gone too. its why there's really no file sharing between apps. there's no true user accessible file system on ios. apple knows what's best for you.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You can either Archive or Delete in Gmail since iOS5 and earlier.

Just go to Settings/Mail/Gmail and turn "Archive messages" off.

Hope it helps!

Neat .. Thanks..

Maybe this will also help the large amounts of mail kept in the air-mail folder on server, i need to manually sign-in in to Gmail and delete these non-Inbox selected messages.

Otherwise, it just keeps wasting space.

andigital

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
UK
Anyone having trouble doing CCP (or even highlight) in the google.com search bar in Safari?

+1

It seems to be a glitch between the keyboard and the search field at the top.

To use CCP or highlight tap on "next" on the keyboard which will take u to the search field at the bottom where u can now CCP and highlight.

Or just use the search field in Safari...

Thing to look at in 6.1.1

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
+1

It seems to be a glitch between the keyboard and the search field at the top.

To use CCP or highlight tap on "next" on the keyboard which will take u to the search field at the bottom where u can now CCP and highlight.

Or just use the search field in Safari...

Thing to look at in 6.1.1

+1!

That was driving me crazy for some time now. I thought is me for awhile.

At least this work-around is rather painless and quick.

Michael

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You can either Archive or Delete in Gmail since iOS5 and earlier.

Just go to Settings/Mail/Gmail and turn "Archive messages" off.

Hope it helps!

WIth this setting off, does this only affect swiping of messages, or tapping the "Trash" icon too ?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This most likely has not been posted yet, but I could be wrong.

In iOS 5, there was an issue described here:

http://shurcool.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/pursuit-of-perfection/

(TL;DR: You couldn't see the time before answering a call, if you got a call while phone was locked.)

In iOS 6.0, it has been fixed.

Here's the before screenshot, in iOS 5.

imageuqg.png

Here's the after screenshot, in iOS 6.

imageqw.png

Last edited:

andigital

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
UK
WIth this setting off, does this only affect swiping of messages, or tapping the "Trash" icon too ?

Both

----------

This most likely has not been posted yet, but I could be wrong.

In iOS 5, there was an issue described here:

http://shurcool.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/pursuit-of-perfection/

(TL;DR: You couldn't see the time before answering a call, if you got a call while phone was locked.)

In iOS 6.0, it has been fixed.

Here's a screenshot demonstrating the change.

I don't really know if u could see the time or not.

What I know is that phone number u posted its gonna become a 'hot line' ;)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I have the 4S. I wanted to post a screenshot, but now my iPhone is deciding to make a liar out of me, lol. Oh well.
I believe you, I had a similar issue trying to activate Genius in the App Store in which I got stuck on that screen (and now it'll crash when I try to select Genius.)

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
Siri is grayed out on my iPhone 5's keyboard for some reason. Anyone know why?

Have you tried pressing it? I noticed after enabling other keyboards it changed color to match the lettered keys instead of the darker symbol keys. I can still use dictation though.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
When using emojis; instead of swiping left or right thru pages of them you can tap the white space between the top row emojis (either just left or right of the dot page no indicator) and the top of the box and it automatically goes to the next page.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
When using emojis; instead of swiping left or right thru pages of them you can tap the white space between the top row emojis (either just left or right of the dot page no indicator) and the top of the box and it automatically goes to the next page.
On my iPhone it is harder to do that than just swipe. It might be useful if it allowed me to jump all the way to specific page of emojis.

Michael

watchthesky

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Canada
what happened to some of the controls on the music app? the time slider and repeat/shuffle buttons for me are gone and i can't figure out how to get them back. is there a setting somewhere or am i screwed? i've seen some screenshots of people who still have them there.

mine always looks like this
333g7ly.png

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
what happened to some of the controls on the music app? the time slider and repeat/shuffle buttons for me are gone and i can't figure out how to get them back. is there a setting somewhere or am i screwed? i've seen some screenshots of people who still have them there.

mine always looks like this

Get a grip mate :eek: touch the damm screen/album cover !

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Just noticed that "findMyiphone" now display the battery level of the devices your locating.

nasa9uqu.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.