Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vcao

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, this an instance where the Ive's new, unchecked prominence in the company has sacrificed function for form as he gratifies his obsession with minimalism. The loss of a simple dot, (which undoubtedly disturbed the purity of the calendar grid), sacrificed substantial, at a glance, functionality.

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a the razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disgusted when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

Also, what's their point with the wafting transparency over buttons, on top of the razor thin font? Am I supposed to want my interface to coyly weave in and out of visibility? I almost missed a call the first time I received one on the new OS lock screen because the "Slide To Answer" button, which was already only 1 pixel weight of white on a light green background, kept disappearing before I could even read it, in someone's idea of artful animation.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone's who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned Skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrender on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

Holy crap relax dude. You can increase the weight of the text in Settings>General>Accessibility>Enhance Text Legibilty.

Its also Beta 1. Get off your high horse

hclmed

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Oh my god, the calendar has become the worst EVER!!

1) In month view (where you see all the days in the month), you can't see if there is an event on that day. All days looks the same (in iOS 6, there was a dot on that date if there was an event).
2) WHEN you click a day, it automatically turns to day-view, where you need to scroll up and down to view the events. Prior to iOS 7, when tapping a day, you got a list of all events that day. No longer! You have to scroll through the whole day to see the events.

This is just sad......

Yes, this an instance where the Ive's new, unchecked prominence in the company has sacrificed function for form as he gratifies his obsession with minimalism. The loss of a simple dot, (which undoubtedly disturbed the purity of the calendar grid), sacrificed substantial, at a glance, functionality.

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disappointed when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

Also, what's their point with the wafting transparency over buttons, on top of the razor thin font? Am I supposed to want my interface to coyly weave in and out of visibility? I almost missed a call the first time I received one on the new OS lock screen because the "Slide To Answer" button, which was already only 1 pixel weight of white on a light green background, kept disappearing before I could even read it, in someone's idea of artful animation.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply to what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrendered on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

----------

Holy crap relax dude. You can increase the weight of the text in Settings>General>Accessibility>Enhance Text Legibilty.

The reason it's beta is to allow exactly these types of observations. Those options do help basic legibility, and should be the default. It should be an option to select cloak/obscurity mode for those who enjoy that.

Last edited:

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
I put the beta on my old iPhone 4 Monday night. After a day of playing around with it I find that I like it a lot except for a couple things.

I hate the new notification center. I wish they would bring back actually listing out my calendar events for the day instead of showing the next six hour calendar view. Also, what happened to the Twitter and Facebook tap to tweet/post buttons?

I'm also not too fond of the way folders work now. I actually prefer the old "drawer" method to the new "zoom-in" and the 3x3 grid isn't working for me either.

Other than that I like iOS 7. Love the control center it's long over due. The new app switcher is neat, and the lock screen is better now without the slightly translucent black bars.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark

That's just one of numerous hijackings of the usefulness of this interface for someone's personal aesthetic. I was concerned when I saw the logo for iOS 7 was in a razor thin Helvetica, then pretty disappointed when I found that to be the native font weight throughout the system. A font that light, especially on a white background, (which already saturates the retina), is widely understood as a GUI flaw, and a rookie design error, that will challenge legibility for many if not most users.

It's a pretty shameful case of the emperor's new clothes, where no one challenged the impractical fiats of someone who's now the reigning royal there. I know Jony was a loyal friend to Steve, and undoubtedly a fine person whose penchant for minimalism and pure geometry was groundbreaking for the iPod, and literally at the foundation of Apple's recovery. He is the master of Bauhaus minimalism, and should contribute that design wherever it's applicable. It's just not applicable everywhere. There are fortunately some functional enhancements with this update, and even some that are mainly aesthetic, (I personally like the animation in and out of the originating window, and the card like browser and multi-task tabs). But I really don't think any consumers passed on this product because they didn't like its graphics.

The much maligned skeuomorphism certainly had it's cheesy instances, (especially that faux leather stitching), but the opportunity for patterns and other nuances that are subconsciously recognized are vital for interfaces, especially when they apply to what amounts to such a vast collection of different buttons. It's a common and welcome feature to shade a button with dimensionality that suggests it should be pushed, let alone just ensuring fonts are visible in different lighting and background conditions. The effort to buck trends and abandon convention shouldn't be just for its own sake. The Human Factors engineers should not have utterly surrendered on this one. They need to come back to this project, and do their job, to actually call it complete.

----------

The reason it's beta is to allow exactly these types of observations. Those options do help basic legibility, and should be the default. It should be an option to select cloak/obscurity mode for those who enjoy that.

I totally agree with you about the font! It's awful usability-wise!

Firstly, it's so thin, that even on max brightness, and a little bright background, you can't even see the date on the lock screen when looking from an angle due to the view angle. And in sunlight, you're out of luck.

No shadows on the fonts make this even worse. Same with the icons!

See how hard it is to quickly read the text under the icons with this background:

NeBcZqu.jpg

On iOS 6, with the same background, the font is much easier to recognize and read because of the bold font and shadow.

But the calendar is still the worst thing. I've submitted it as a UI bug to Apple. If the current calendar makes it into the final version of iOS 7 without changes, I'll be stuck to iOS 6 until I find a viable alternative viable alternative in the App Store. I'm using the calendar as my main app (hence the location as number 2 app on the first page), so this is really a downgrade for me.

hclmed

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013

I totally agree with you about the font! It's awful usability-wise!

Firstly, it's so thin, that even on max brightness, and a little bright background, you can't even see the date on the lock screen when looking from an angle due to the view angle. And in sunlight, you're out of luck.

No shadows on the fonts make this even worse. Same with the icons!

See how hard it is to quickly read the text under the icons with this background:

NeBcZqu.jpg

On iOS 6, with the same background, the font is much easier to recognize and read because of the bold font and shadow.

But the calendar is still the worst thing. I've submitted it as a UI bug to Apple. If the current calendar makes it into the final version of iOS 7 without changes, I'll be stuck to iOS 6 until I find a viable alternative viable alternative in the App Store. I'm using the calendar as my main app (hence the location as number 2 app on the first page), so this is really a downgrade for me.

I'd just like the calendar app restored to usability again. I'm trying to work around the atrocious legibility issues, and trying to make myself feel like this hairline, stick figure design is elegant, but I need a calendar with a useful month view.

jakebechtold

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
North Dakota
Tried upgrading my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 this evening and it failed miserably. When I downloaded the DMG file, it said there was a checksum error and wouldn't mount.

Well, in my infinite brilliance, I skipped the verify process, tried a restore anyway, bricked my phone, and ended up have to use my PC to restore back to 6.1.3 (yes, the Mac wouldn't do it, but Windows would... figure THAT one out!)

The checksum error should have been a red flag from the get-go and I shouldn't have even tried to install. I did download the file several times and that still kept happening, so clearly there's an issue with the iPhone 4S version of the release on the dev server.

So make a long post short here... has anyone had a similar experience (or any luck for that matter) getting iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S?

Oh, and for those without access to a developer account wanting the beta, I will quickly point out that this is one of the reasons why the betas are for developers only and that you should not even attempt to install unless you know what you're doing and have legitimate access to a dev account. It could easily fail and unless you know how to roll it back to an old version you could end up with a really expensive (and shiny!) paperweight.

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
Tried upgrading my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 this evening and it failed miserably. When I downloaded the DMG file, it said there was a checksum error and wouldn't mount.

Well, in my infinite brilliance, I skipped the verify process, tried a restore anyway, bricked my phone, and ended up have to use my PC to restore back to 6.1.3 (yes, the Mac wouldn't do it, but Windows would... figure THAT one out!)

The checksum error should have been a red flag from the get-go and I shouldn't have even tried to install. I did download the file several times and that still kept happening, so clearly there's an issue with the iPhone 4S version of the release on the dev server.

So make a long post short here... has anyone had a similar experience (or any luck for that matter) getting iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S?

Oh, and for those without access to a developer account wanting the beta, I will quickly point out that this is one of the reasons why the betas are for developers only and that you should not even attempt to install unless you know what you're doing and have legitimate access to a dev account. It could easily fail and unless you know how to roll it back to an old version you could end up with a really expensive (and shiny!) paperweight.

I currently have iOS 7 installed on my sprint 4S. works perfectly minus the bugs. My account is registered by a dev but im not new to this beta stuff. didnt have any problems installing.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Is it just me or does the messages app not auto populate the newest message? Before in iOS6 the newest message would move the conversation up but in iOS7 I have the manually scroll down a bit every time I get a new text/imessage in.

It's kinda annoying.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Is it just me or does the messages app not auto populate the newest message? Before in iOS6 the newest message would move the conversation up but in iOS7 I have the manually scroll down a bit every time I get a new text/imessage in.

It's kinda annoying.

Yeah. Very annoying bug (which I have also reported to Apple).

Also, the "Delivered" and "Read" label below the message can't be seen until you scroll down.

Bentoh

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
No Battery issue so far on my iphone 5... it was kind of sluggish fresh out of upgrade (notification center, opening an app etc), but it got better an hour after and the zippy feeling is back

jakebechtold

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
North Dakota
I currently have iOS 7 installed on my sprint 4S. works perfectly minus the bugs. My account is registered by a dev but im not new to this beta stuff. didnt have any problems installing.

For strange. Maybe I'll try it again tonight. I've never had a DMG file do that to me before.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
Anyone have wifi issues? I can't seem to join my work network but I know the password is correct, I tried doing it manually and not working still.

**EDIT: A Restart fixed it :-\

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.