Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Like the look of Tunnel but not overly practical for UK users...when you add a shortcut to call\text someone it adds a +1 to the front of the phone number so they wont work.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've also tested Tunnel but it lacks quite some features (apps, quick launch to e.g. settings) that Launcher has.
This is definitely no competition (yet) for Launcher.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Heapo looks quite, first time I have tried it and I like the design. Only issues for me are you can't really minimise it and you need to open the app to remove items from the list.

NiravS

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys! I'm the developer of Tunnel (soon to be re-branded though). After being rejected for six months, Apple reversed their decision & JUST approved my app. I was hoping to launch alongside iOS 8 in October! Crazy times. I didn't think anyone would find it so quickly (Jessica! :)).

I have another build submitted that addresses a ton of issues & adds features. I'd be happy to add more stuff as you guys see fit! Please give me any and all feedback! This app will remain SUPER free & I plan to make it amazing over time.

I'm glad you guys (sorta) at least dig the app!

----------

Like the look of Tunnel but not overly practical for UK users...when you add a shortcut to call\text someone it adds a +1 to the front of the phone number so they wont work.

Heya! I'm so so sorry for the trouble. The shortcut should simply pull this data from the contact. If you have a contact with a number and the prefix isn't +1, it should still work. I just tested it for +44 for example and it correctly went to the right thread on messages and called the correct number as well. Is there anything else I can help you do to troubleshoot it?

Thanks for using it and the feedback. I really appreciate it!

----------

I've also tested Tunnel but it lacks quite some features (apps, quick launch to e.g. settings) that Launcher has.
This is definitely no competition (yet) for Launcher.

I had app launch built in but Apple is being strict about this (I can't talk more about it). I'll try to bring it back! What other features would you like to see?

Thanks again for using it ! I super appreciate the feedback!!

----------

That sounds like a good excuse to get a 6 Plus.:)

----------

I'm going to try Heapo and Tunnel. I've got launcher and Clips.

Thanks for trying it! Keep me posted on how I can make it better for you! The newest version (hopefully approved soon) has a place for feedback as well!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hey, no problem! Excited to see where it goes.

Ecoute just added a very lovely Up Next widget. There is a problem where if the title is too long, it makes up for it by shrinking the text, but I'll let them get away with that, heh. It's also slightly misaligned.

IMG_0001.PNG

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Heya! I'm so so sorry for the trouble. The shortcut should simply pull this data from the contact. If you have a contact with a number and the prefix isn't +1, it should still work. I just tested it for +44 for example and it correctly went to the right thread on messages and called the correct number as well. Is there anything else I can help you do to troubleshoot it?
Had a quick look at this again yesterday.....i dont have many of the numbers in my contacts listed with +44 at the beginning, they just have a 0 on the front which works fine even if i'm outside of the UK. For some reason when adding a shortcut to message\phone a contact where its set like this the app sticks +1 at the start for some reason so it doesnt work. It doesnt appear to be just going with whatever is in the contact information and for some reason trying to be a bit to clever putting a country code on the start. I amended the contact to start +44 instead and it worked fine but not sure there is any need to be adding stuff to the start of phone numbers as whatever is in the contact will work just fine.

NiravS

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Had a quick look at this again yesterday.....i dont have many of the numbers in my contacts listed with +44 at the beginning, they just have a 0 on the front which works fine even if i'm outside of the UK. For some reason when adding a shortcut to message\phone a contact where its set like this the app sticks +1 at the start for some reason so it doesnt work. It doesnt appear to be just going with whatever is in the contact information and for some reason trying to be a bit to clever putting a country code on the start. I amended the contact to start +44 instead and it worked fine but not sure there is any need to be adding stuff to the start of phone numbers as whatever is in the contact will work just fine.

Got this fixed in the next version! Thanks again for letting me know!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I just noticed yesterday night that there quite some copy-cats of the 'real' Launcher widget are available now within the App Store (all free). Competition is ok but i still do think it's the real Launcher widget that deserves all credits (and users). I also suggested to Cromulent Labs to file a request to Apple to ask to remove these. The idea and names are almost the same.

Launcher + | free | by Chen Wei Jie | official website

CQmoGtC.png

Launcher Pro | free | by Manh Nguyen Tien | official website

EJAJ6dI.png

Launcher Widget | free | by iCM Development Inc. | official website

R4VVpij.png

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think there's a lot of room for copycat Launcher Pros, They need to make themselves different though. I would love a text-based version. Right now I have a few buttons that search for hashtags I've used in one of my notes app, and I did the icons with Legend. I also have some timers. They aren't bad, but I'd rather not have to associate them with images and I could fit two of them in the same space. I'd like it for music playlists too, at least some of them.

Swiptly is great on the iPad BTW (It's for iPhone too, but makes more sense on a bigger screen I think). Syncs with iCloud.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swiptly-sticky-notes/id965178178?mt=8

screen480x480.jpeg

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Notebooks 8 now takes your list of tasks and displays them in a widget. It really could be better, like by not just showing tasks due on the day. It really doesn't make sense that you might be using it to be organizing project stuff and then it's going to remind you to do everything last minute. We're trying to be more productive here after all! :p

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notebooks-8-write-process/id780438662?mt=8

IMG_0427.png

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
And another two widgets with Launcher like features:

Launchy | 0,99 dollar

GQE246S.png

Orby Widgets | 2,99 dollar
They were already available in the App Store but now released an update with launcher widgets.

YfwiX1Q.png

Also two Twitter widgets with keyboard:

Quick Tweet! | free | for Twitter posts.

Sqd9Nfw.png

Quick Compose | 0,99 dollar | for Facebook and Twitter posts.

1Cz44V1.png

And two contact widgets:

Contacts Shortcuts | free, with in-app purchase 0,99 dollar

boIu3Eg.png

One Tap Contact Widget | free, with in-app purchase 0,99 dollar

9Xi5JD9.png

Unfortunately the topic start post is limited to a certain amount of characters therefore i cannot add the above widgets to the list anymore.

Last edited:

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
And another two widgets with Launcher like features:

Launchy | 0,99 dollar

Orby Widgets | 2,99 dollar
They were already available in the App Store but now released an update with launcher widgets.

Also two Twitter widgets with keyboard:

Quick Tweet! | free | for Twitter posts.

Quick Compose | 0,99 dollar | for Facebook and Twitter posts.

And two contact widgets:

Contacts Shortcuts | free, with in-app purchase 0,99 dollar

One Tap Contact Widget | free, with in-app purchase 0,99 dollar

Unfortunately the topic start post is limited to a certain amount of characters therefore i cannot add the above widgets to the list anymore.

I like the widgets that allow text input and tweets but the problem is they feel 'hacky' and likely will be pulled from the App Store, leaving you with a paid-for but permanently unsupported app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I like the widgets that allow text input and tweets but the problem is they feel 'hacky' and likely will be pulled from the App Store, leaving you with a paid-for but permanently unsupported app.

Possibly, but if it works as far as doing what you need then it doesn't matter that much if it's pulled if you already have it.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

Neato is also still available in the App Store. The Speed Note Widget which also had a keyboard in the Notification Center did have a keyboard and that one was pulled at the time.
I do think that Apple no longer is looking so strict to widgets if you look at the recent months when a lot of widgets with Launcher, Contacts and keyboards were approved.

Congrats on probably being the only person on MR ever to do so.

The keyboard in that Twitter one surprises me after the Neato fiasco!

Thanks :) I wanted to make the best lists of widgets out there but it seems a forum like MR isn't used to these huge lists in a post. It's probably a limitation of the forum software they use.

Neato is still in the App Store. I think Apple changed the rules after the Launcher widget was approved again. We have seen a major lists of widget the recent months which had features which weren't approved last year and earlier this year. They small sized keyboards within the Notification center is still not the best solution to have and i'm also wondering if Apple will leave these widgets with keyboards in the App Store. For now they did with Neato and now also a few others.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
Weather app with widget

Which weather app do you guys recommend that is the most accurate and also has a good widget?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.