Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Teknickskauai

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
I want to start/stop my VPN from launcher. I have it Pointed to the VPN page, but I want to toggle VPN on/off from launcher as a single step. I'm using
prefs:root=General&path=VPN

I'm assuming if this is possible, I need to add that string.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately such a URL scheme is unknown to me. If there was then I would also love to know the name of the actual switch/toggle to turn e.g. VPN on/off with an URL scheme.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Unfortunately WhatsApp apparently decided to remove the URL scheme to send a certain person/user a predefined message: whatsapp://send?abid=usernr&text=[[prompt]]
Therefore you can no longer use this feature with Launcher or any other url scheme app/widget.

Alternative would be to use e.g. Telegram but unfortunately very few family/friends use that app.
The other Facebook messenger app had the same crippled URL scheme as WhatsApp now has.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I had already purchased IAP pro features and now on top of that he adds another IAP... Now there are several apps offering similar functionality and better UI

2.0 came out today. Now with an additional IAP, you can have multiple widgets that can be set based on time of day and location.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Soon S Launcher will have same new features, and is already the best launcher IMO.

I had already purchased IAP pro features and now on top of that he adds another IAP... Now there are several apps offering similar functionality and better UI

alt0

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
I'd payed for the past edition and I'nt know if exist something "Pro"for me now. Can you help me?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it's just a newer set of features that aren't part of the Pro features.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Well... that's the point.. this new feature should have been part of the pro. The original pro just gave you more number of launchers which was just an artificial constraint to force pro upgrade.
Also the app UI looks very basic - not well polished to demand such a high price tag and given that better alternatives are there.. just that I had already got the pro version and now one more IAP

Well, it's just a newer set of features that aren't part of the Pro features.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not a big enough niche just to tack it onto the pro version. Pretty much everyone who wanted to buy it, did, and now they would like some money needed to continue the updates, understandable. And this is the better way, compared to the may other ways they could do it.

Reactions: C DM

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The developer 'blew it' by calling it the Pro version. If I paid for Pro (which I did), I'd be upset to have to pay for more features for same app (which I am). I doubt the developer will use 'Pro' again as a name for in app purchase.

It's not a big enough niche just to tack it onto the pro version. Pretty much everyone who wanted to buy it, did, and now they would like some money needed to continue the updates, understandable. And this is the better way, compared to the may other ways they could do it.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Original Pro was basically to remove artificial constraint on the number of launchers. By having another IAP, the developer is basically disregarding users who upgraded to Pro early on and helped push the app up the chart.
Many apps when they introduce a new IAP, it's a free upgrade to existing users. That helps them to keep the established user base while attracting new users. With this Launcher IAP policy, I'll consider alternative apps.
I bought the Pro ($5 which by the way isn't cheap for what it offered) in the first place so as to support further app development, but the Launcher app hasn't even seen any improvement in the UI.
Adding new IAP Pro feature every year is like subscription model which I don't like getting stuck into and this app is certainly not one of those app which can justify multiple upgrade charges.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You'll consider alternative apps just to pay them the $3 you don't want to pay these guys? You obviously think it's an essential type of app if you're just going to go and do that.

It's more like upgrade pricing, not subscription. And it's better than actual subscription pricing where if you stop paying, you lose the app function entirely.

Where does it need improvement in the UI? I'm curious to know. It's not very completely native looking, but it's better that way for what it is.

Again, it's a niche app, and it can barely grow any bigger than it is now.

What Smile did with TextExpander was pretty bad, but I don't think the IAP here is unreasonable.

I also trust them because they're based here in the US.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm not really interested in the new Launcher features just yet. I'm satisfied as it is.

Me too. The categories is a nice option but I'm fine with one main category. It is nice to have an option to show certain apps on certain times of the day though (not using that yet).

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Gosh I wish there was a way to get the shortcuts from 3d-touch too, so we could figure out how to do stuff like find my friends -> user Bob..
[doublepost=1463443069][/doublepost]
The developer 'blew it' by calling it the Pro version. If I paid for Pro (which I did), I'd be upset to have to pay for more features for same app (which I am). I doubt the developer will use 'Pro' again as a name for in app purchase.
Same here, I opened the app thinking as a pro user these would be unlocked, but the Pro feature was just 'remove text label' i guess .. oh well. I love the app, i understand that app devs are trying to find ways to continue income stream for continued work.
[doublepost=1463443235][/doublepost]
Unfortunately such a URL scheme is unknown to me. If there was then I would also love to know the name of the actual switch/toggle to turn e.g. VPN on/off with an URL scheme.
erhm, you can't actually flip things on/off, but it loads you directly to that page.

What I have for VPN on/off page is: prefs:root=General&path=VPN

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
[doublepost=1463443235][/doublepost]
erhm, you can't actually flip things on/off, but it loads you directly to that page.

What I have for VPN on/off page is: prefs:root=General&path=VPN

I was aware of that which is also part of Launcher for quite a while.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've found out that opening the Apple Calendar: calshow:// (current standard in Launcher) shows 1/1/2011 as start date. I'm therefore now using calinvite://eventid=id (this does open the app, not an appointment on the current day). Unfortunately I still haven't found a way (like WeekCalendar) does to add a new appointment for Apple Calendar with an URL scheme.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Me too. The categories is a nice option but I'm fine with one main category. It is nice to have an option to show certain apps on certain times of the day though (not using that yet).
I gave in and purchased the in app. Didn't need it, but had fun creating new png images to use. LOL. Here's my set up. It's a bit much, but oh well! A couple were cut off at the bottom.

af7e84da83f867d9506777dc2ec86e03.jpg

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Any news on how the Launcher app will work on iOS 10? Since there are no widgets on the notification center, I wonder how useful it would be. Now you have to close the current app -got to the home screen - swipe left to the spotlight search/ Siri suggestions screen and then access Launchers.
Has anyone tried Launcher on iOS 10? Do you see multiple Launchers which was the new in-app feature?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.