Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Any news on how the Launcher app will work on iOS 10? Since there are no widgets on the notification center, I wonder how useful it would be. Now you have to close the current app -got to the home screen - swipe left to the spotlight search/ Siri suggestions screen and then access Launchers.
Has anyone tried Launcher on iOS 10? Do you see multiple Launchers which was the new in-app feature?
He said he can't submit anything until the general release of iOS 10 in September. So beta testers are out of luck. He suggested not updating to 10 now if you want to use the Launcher widgets. He said many of the widgets are not compatible with iOS 10.
I think he'll have it ready by September. Hopefully.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm also wondering if the new way of launching is still handy for lots of things. I want to access things quickly e.g. open MiniKeePass while I have another app open. I can now do that a lot quicker via Launcher in the Notification Center.
As long as we can't adjust the apps /settings in the Control Center (and have smart URL schemes there) we still need Launcher for all kind of reasons.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm also wondering if the new way of launching is still handy for lots of things. I want to access things quickly e.g. open MiniKeePass while I have another app open. I can now do that a lot quicker via Launcher in the Notification Center.
As long as we can't adjust the apps /settings in the Control Center (and have smart URL schemes there) we still need Launcher for all kind of reasons.
I'm curious about it as well. I'm not on the beta.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Any news on how the Launcher app will work on iOS 10? Since there are no widgets on the notification center, I wonder how useful it would be. Now you have to close the current app -got to the home screen - swipe left to the spotlight search/ Siri suggestions screen and then access Launchers.
Has anyone tried Launcher on iOS 10? Do you see multiple Launchers which was the new in-app feature?

I'm curious about it as well. I'm not on the beta.
Widgets are still accessible in the notification center when it's launched from within an app.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
So if I am in the Notes app and pull down the notification center then widgets are there? and what if you pull down the notification center from the Home screen, there are no widgets?

Widgets are still accessible in the notification center when it's launched from within an app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So if I am in the Notes app and pull down the notification center then widgets are there? and what if you pull down the notification center from the Home screen, there are no widgets?
Basically. If you are on the home screen you can swipe to the right and the widgets will be there. If you are in an app you can bring down the notification center and swipe to the right (kind of like going to the "Today" section in iOS 9 or 8) then the widgets will be there.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
It's really a poor inconsistent approach. I am very much hoping that gets fixed before iOS 10 is released.

Basically. If you are on the home screen you can swipe to the right and the widgets will be there. If you are in an app you can bring down the notification center and swipe to the right (kind of like going to the "Today" section in iOS 9 or 8) then the widgets will be there.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
In iOS 10, it's an extra swipe, and it won't remember the position like it does in iOS 9. As in: Pull it up and hit the Notifications tab, and it'll always stay there unless you hit Today. Today is the default in iOS 9 to begin with.

I have a feeling they'll switch it by the end of the betas. They're trying to enforce the idea of static widgets again, but it's way too late for that now. Even they have that new Music widget that shows you stuff you just played.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Why Apple decided it was a good idea to have two different ways to get to the widgets is beyond me. Why Apple decided it was a good idea that one has to be on be the first page of the home screen to be able to access the widgets is also beyond me. Does Apple hate widgets so much they want to make it complicated to get to them?

Reactions: pacorob

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why Apple decided it was a good idea to have two different ways to get to the widgets is beyond me. Why Apple decided it was a good idea that one has to be on be the first page of the home screen to be able to access the widgets is also beyond me. Does Apple hate widgets so much they want to make it complicated to get to them?

You can click the search button (magnifier) on the pagination at the bottom to go straight to Spotlight/Widgets via any page.

I personally wish they'd let you have the widget area as the lock screen, instead of having to swipe over, but that's probably asking for too much.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
You can click the search button (magnifier) on the pagination at the bottom to go straight to Spotlight/Widgets via any page.

I personally wish they'd let you have the widget area as the lock screen, instead of having to swipe over, but that's probably asking for too much.
Will the Launcher widgets remain intact? Just shown in a different place?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Having to tap a tiny little icon is not a solution. It's a step in the wrong direction. And again, my main issue is the inconsistency. Whether I am in an app or not in an app, my path to getting to widgets should not vary. What's happening in beta 1 is just wrong.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

So you won't be seeing Today with your widgets instantly within an app like we now have in iOS9/8? You have to swipe an extra time hmmm. I also noticed this post on iDownloadblog regarding widgets in NC for iOS10.

Yes please. An option to show both notification and widgets on the lockscreen would be very nice! Instead of scrolling on your lockscreen to see widgets.

Yeah, it needs an update though as it just cuts off after the first row.

It seems that developers should launch updates to fix their widgets to see the complete widget.
See also this developer discussion + developer pages here,here and this tweet regarding it.

I also hope that the new widget can be made smaller so you have enought space to see multiple widgets and e.g. icons in the case of Launcher like we now can with iOS9. The margins around the widget are pretty big by looking at all screenshots I've seen. I would also hope that there comes an option to remove the huge time and date in both Notification Center and lockscreen to see more of your widgets (and notifications).

iOS10 widgets:
XxtUfHq.png

iOS9 widgets:

Hsat6Sc.png

Having to tap a tiny little icon is not a solution. It's a step in the wrong direction. And again, my main issue is the inconsistency. Whether I am in an app or not in an app, my path to getting to widgets should not vary. What's happening in beta 1 is just wrong.

I agree with you there for a 100%!

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you won't be seeing Today with your widgets instantly within an app like we now have in iOS9/8? You have to swipe an extra time hmmm. I also noticed this post on iDownloadblog regarding widgets in NC for iOS10.

Yes please. An option to show both notification and widgets on the lockscreen would be very nice! Instead of scrolling on your lockscreen to see widgets.

It seems that developers should launch updates to fix their widgets to see the complete widget.
See also this developer discussion + developer pages here,here and this tweet regarding it.

I also hope that the new widget can be made smaller so you have enought space to see multiple widgets and e.g. icons in the case of Launcher like we now can with iOS9. The margins around the widget are pretty big by looking at all screenshots I've seen. I would also hope that there comes an option to remove the huge time and date in both Notification Center and lockscreen to see more of your widgets (and notifications).

iOS10 widgets:
XxtUfHq.png

iOS9 widgets:

Hsat6Sc.png

I agree with you there for a 100%!
You don't necessrily see the "Today" section instantly today with iOS 9 or 8 or 7.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Just heard on Upgrade that there's a rumor that in Beta 2 the widgets are going to be put back as the first page again, or at least they're going to put back the ability for it to remember the page you were on again.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
You don't necessrily see the "Today" section instantly today with iOS 9 or 8 or 7.

No sorry you are right but in the case you only use the NC on Today and left it open the last time on Today it shows Today / widget view the next time when you open it. I rarely use the Notifications tab in NC.

Just heard on Upgrade that there's a rumor that in Beta 2 the widgets are going to be put back as the first page again, or at least they're going to put back the ability for it to remember the page you were on again.

That's great news if that stays in the final release when iOS10 comes out. Let's see what will happen with beta 2 in this regard.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Is anyone using Magic Launcher (previously it was called S Launcher)? How does it compare with Launcher Pro.?
It seems to have a better interface but stutters sometimes.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've used both. ML has more features, and I'd say LP is a bit more stable. Responses from ML's developer have been faster. Both are solid products.

Is anyone using Magic Launcher (previously it was called S Launcher)? How does it compare with Launcher Pro.?
It seems to have a better interface but stutters sometimes.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I am trying out both Launcher Pro (LP) and Magic Launcher (ML) and possibly looking to upgrade to Pro version. I had already bought the LP-Pro version, and now it has a new separate pro IAP. Considering this business practice, I am evaluating ML. One thing I noticed is ML takes up a lot more disk space compared to LP even with fewer launchers.

I've used both. ML has more features, and I'd say LP is a bit more stable. Responses from ML's developer have been faster. Both are solid products.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
True, but we're talking about megabytes, which is really nothing. 50mb versus 150mb (for me). Then again, I've got a 64GB device, so there's that ;)

I am trying out both Launcher Pro (LP) and Magic Launcher (ML) and possibly looking to upgrade to Pro version. I had already bought the LP-Pro version, and now it has a new separate pro IAP. Considering this business practice, I am evaluating ML. One thing I noticed is ML takes up a lot more disk space compared to LP even with fewer launchers.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
What features does ML have which are not in LP? I noticed that LP also has a music launcher which can launch a particular song.

I know the difference in size is a few MB but most the times a compact size with equivalent features indicates how well the app is optimized. Some poorly programmed apps have a tendency of swelling in size.

I am using 32GB iphone now with only about 1GB free space so this is a concern until the next upgrade.

True, but we're talking about megabytes, which is really nothing. 50mb versus 150mb (for me). Then again, I've got a 64GB device, so there's that ;)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
They are similar but different. ML has quick settings and more 'magic Launchers ' than LP. there are other differences too. Best thing would be to try both. And if you're down to 1GB space remaining, it's time to delete something ;)

What features does ML have which are not in LP? I noticed that LP also has a music launcher which can launch a particular song.

I know the difference in size is a few MB but most the times a compact size with equivalent features indicates how well the app is optimized. Some poorly programmed apps have a tendency of swelling in size.

I am using 32GB iphone now with only about 1GB free space so this is a concern until the next upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.