Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm in the beta but haven't tried it yet. The limitation of 2 sizes surprises me why so few? The amount of apps/actions on the size seems also really limited or can you set also 4-6 apps where you currently have only 3? I'm still using the classic NC widget since it feels I have it quicker at hand.

He may add another size later. You can make more than one of same size, and switch on homescreen. Not as good as the iOS stack, but works.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
He may add another size later. You can make more than one of same size, and switch on homescreen. Not as good as the iOS stack, but works.

I updated yesterday to the 5.0 version so iOS14 homescreen widget supported version. I try the homescreen widgets but still prefer the classic widget in NC also the way the contact launchers work is much nicer in the classic NC widget (which are still offered as long as Apple supports these).

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I updated yesterday to the 5.0 version so iOS14 homescreen widget supported version. I try the homescreen widgets but still prefer the classic widget in NC also the way the contact launchers work is much nicer in the classic NC widget (which are still offered as long as Apple supports these).

I like my contact widget on the homescreen. What do you find not nice about it?
IMG_0199.png

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I like my contact widget on the homescreen. What do you find not nice about it?

I don't use the Launcher widget that often so therefore rather keep it in the NC area and the nice way the icons show up when you press a contact in the classic widget and then pressing e.g. FaceTime icon and then it just starts. With the new widget (either in NC or homescreen) it just shows a list of ways to contact as text and then when you press one you still have to confirm once again.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Are any of you finding that periodically classic widgets will disappear? I've seen this happen when installing an app update that includes iOS 14 widgets. The classic widget will simply be gone, not even listed in the list of available widgets. Only after I reboot will they show up again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are any of you finding that periodically classic widgets will disappear? I've seen this happen when installing an app update that includes iOS 14 widgets. The classic widget will simply be gone, not even listed in the list of available widgets. Only after I reboot will they show up again.
Seems like that happens after an update and then after a reboot it can be back. However sometimes when it's back it's not the same classic widget and might simply be there to notify users to use a new widget instead.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've never seen that yet. Only the disappearing and reappearing widgets.

Seems like that happens after an update and then after a reboot it can be back. However sometimes when it's back it's not the same classic widget and might simply be there to notify users to use a new widget instead.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

As in with the same app that got updated to support iOS homescreen widgets? I have only noticed that some developers decided to:

1. Still offer both old and new NC widgets (and now also support homescreen widgets) - e.g. Launcher by Cromulent Labs in iOS14 when they updated their app. For pre-IOS14 users you can still use the classic NC widget as well.

2. Offer new types of homescreen widgets and also make these available in NC widget area e.g. Carrot Weather, and Forecast Bar. For pre-IOS14 users you can still use the classic NC widget as well.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've seen this issue with two apps so far, that following an update the classic widgets were completely gone. Following a reboot of the phone they returned. Early iOS 14 bugs I would imagine. Plus I think Apple wants to kill off the old widgets.

As in with the same app that got updated to support iOS homescreen widgets? I have only noticed that some developers decided to:

1. Still offer both old and new NC widgets (and now also support homescreen widgets) - e.g. Launcher by Cromulent Labs in iOS14 when they updated their app. For pre-IOS14 users you can still use the classic NC widget as well.

2. Full switched to only offering homescreen widgets and no longer NC area widgets on iOS14 devices after updating the app - e.g. Carrot Weather (I still hope that at least the new types of widgets would also be available in NC center). For pre-IOS14 users you can still use the classic NC widget as well.

3. Offer new types of homescreen widgets and also make these available in NC widget area e.g. Forecast Bar. For pre-IOS14 users you can still use the classic NC widget as well.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've seen this issue with two apps so far, that following an update the classic widgets were completely gone. Following a reboot of the phone they returned. Early iOS 14 bugs I would imagine. Plus I think Apple wants to kill off the old widgets.

Sorry I adjusted my earlier post since so there are only two options offered and I see that most developers decided to simply drop the old types of widgets which is understandable and these devs also think that there is a big change the old types of widgets will no longer be supported in e.g. iOS15 and you could also wonder what will happen with the widgets in the NC all together. I sure hope they will stay since not every widget I use I would need to see on my homescreen all the time. Some I would like to have in NC center e.g. launcher, and weather while others I prefer having on my homescreen (photo, calendar).

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I think the reality is that classic widgets will be gone sooner than later. Some Devs are keeping them around to ease the transition, or the widget is based on so much functionality it would be impossible to create an iOS 14 version of it.

Reactions: pacorob

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the reality is that classic widgets will be gone sooner than later. Some Devs are keeping them around to ease the transition, or the widget is based on so much functionality it would be impossible to create an iOS 14 version of it.
It seems that some of the devs would keep those around for users who they still support in iOS versions prior to iOS 14. At the same time seems like some of them could likely detect if someone has iOS 14 and do something where they would be urged/forced to use a new widget that they have rather than the old/classic one.

Reactions: pacorob

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Perhaps it was not clear, but my comments were tailored to iOS 14 and beyond. Developers would not simply remove features that are core to older versions of iOS.

Specific to iOS 14, some Devs are in fact just removing the old widgets.

It seems that some of the devs would keep those around for users who they still support in iOS versions prior to iOS 14. At the same time seems like some of them could likely detect if someone has iOS 14 and do something where they would be urged/forced to use a new widget that they have rather than the old/classic one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps it was not clear, but my comments were tailored to iOS 14 and beyond. Developers would not simply remove features that are core to older versions of iOS.

Specific to iOS 14, some Devs are in fact just removing the old widgets.
Well, are you saying that in relation to apps that only support iOS 14? If they support previous iOS versions then they would have the classic versions of the widgets available to them (unless they never had one or decide to just remove it).

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I don't use the Launcher widget that often so therefore rather keep it in the NC area and the nice way the icons show up when you press a contact in the classic widget and then pressing e.g. FaceTime icon and then it just starts. With the new widget (either in NC or homescreen) it just shows a list of ways to contact as text and then when you press one you still have to confirm once again.

You can set it to only phone calls. Then it works the same way as Shortcuts does for calls. But you're right, many are not really Shortcuts. I just think it's cool to have some on screen. I wasn't using them much in the today section. What would be really cool, would be the Music Launcher on the home screen, including the music controls. Don't think that's possible though.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
You can set it to only phone calls. Then it works the same way as Shortcuts does for calls. But you're right, many are not really Shortcuts. I just think it's cool to have some on screen. I wasn't using them much in the today section. What would be really cool, would be the Music Launcher on the home screen, including the music controls. Don't think that's possible though.

As far as the music controls I wonder why this shouldn't be possible for the middle and bigger sized homescreen widgets Apple does allow multiple interactivity options right (e.g. Launcher has their app launches, list app have a button to add things to a list all from the homescreen widget? I've also seen a two podcast apps showing e.g. a play button (only) although my favorite podcast widget has some difficulties to actually start playing when the app wasn't opened recently. I have to have it open at the area where I last played my podcast and when I pause then and leave the app (but still open in the background) I can press the widget and continue playing that particular podcast.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
As far as the music controls I wonder why this shouldn't be possible for the middle and bigger sized homescreen widgets Apple does allow multiple interactivity options right (e.g. Launcher has their app launches, list app have a button to add things to a list all from the homescreen widget? I've also seen a two podcast apps showing e.g. a play button (only) although my favorite podcast widget has some difficulties to actually start playing when the app wasn't opened recently. I have to have it open at the area where I last played my podcast and when I pause then and leave the app (but still open in the background) I can press the widget and continue playing that particular podcast.

I tried to make one in Launcher that would play my playlists, less the controls. It did play my playlists, but it also opened into the Launcher app at the same time. He said Apple imposes some limitations. Does seem odd, you can have an analog clock widget, but not one that plays music from Apple Music. Maybe Apple wants to do it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.