Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
How connect to demand suppose to work, my vpn is on all the time, if I switch on connect to demand and turn off vpn, Then data change to mobile data and by opening any app it change to wifi vpn, but after closing app vpn is not swiched off even with no application running.

On demand means that iOS starts up a VPN extension when network is accessible.

VPN extension is a separate process, it is independent from the app.

Matyou98

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Will Adguard pro block ads in the YouTube app that play before videos? Have not had any luck so I don't know if there is a setting for that.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
@I_ndeed
Will Adguard pro block ads in the YouTube app that play before videos? Have not had any luck so I don't know if there is a setting for that.

Nope, unfortunately, YT ads are almost impossible to block.

Also sorry for the late reply, I've missed your post:(.
[doublepost=1477936111][/doublepost]
@avatar_adg
Any idea if the app works with VyprnVPN ?

We'll test it:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForiOS/issues/162#issuecomment-257366692

I'll return with testing result.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Youtube - no.
Chrome - yes. Please note, that it is not as good as Safari content blocker though.

Nope. Even on Android with far more capabilities we are struggling with YT.
I'm rather sure that is by design. Google are first and foremost an advertising company, so it follows that they're going to do whatever they can to prohibit the blocking of advertisements.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Sometime back there was a news that Google figured out a way to disguise their code for ads as if it was a genuine content making it difficult to block..even Facebook did that with Newsfeed, but looks like FB has scaled back or Adguard extension on PC has improved.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Just installed AdGuard for Safari and it blocks all the ads and removes the whitespace. Ghostery did not remove the blank spaces.

I just bought AdGuard Pro for iOS and will give it a try. I have tried Crystal, Wipr, and a few others. I have been running AdGuard regular and have not had an issue other than pages have whitespace and I need to reload. Hopefully pro is better. We shall see.
[doublepost=1478190564][/doublepost]Tested the white space issue - still present. I am in tweetbot, tap an article link and it loads up fine. It blocks the ad but there is a huge blank space. I have to refresh the page to clear it out. Rather annoying. Any way to fix that?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Facebook did that with Newsfeed, but looks like FB has scaled back or Adguard extension on PC has improved.

We've extended all our products (PC, Mac, Android) with new filtering rules types in order to fight this.
[doublepost=1478195550][/doublepost]
I have to refresh the page to clear it out

From your description it looks like a known WebKit issue:
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162057

I guess if we want this issue to be resolved faster, we should let them know that we're annoyed by it.
So, if you have some time, please comment on that issue in webkit bug tracker:)

Reactions: ardchoille50

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
I tried both Adguard Pro and Disconnect Privacy Pro and I can't say one is better than the other, both apps do a great job.
I am sticking with Disconnect for now because it shows which and how many trackers it has blocked.

What I still would like to see is a blocker/firewall app where you can deny app's access to the internet. Haven't seen an app yet that offers this.
Is it not possible with iOS?

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Is there a filter to block adult content?

Adguard Pro provides "Family protection" DNS:
https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-dns-family-protection/
[doublepost=1478726366][/doublepost]
I am sticking with Disconnect for now because it shows which and how many trackers it has blocked.

We do show it as well:) Named "Requests log". We don't save and show the beautiful stats though:)

What I still would like to see is a blocker/firewall app where you can deny app's access to the internet. Haven't seen an app yet that offers this.
Is it not possible with iOS?

Yeah, i did a quick research and it seems that we can do it using the same VPN API.
Planned on future AG versions.

Applerx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Yeah, i did a quick research and it seems that we can do it using the same VPN API.

That is great! I think the non-root firewalls on Android do it this way as well. Looking forward to a future version.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
That is great! I think the non-root firewalls on Android do it this way as well. Looking forward to a future version.

Yep, they do, Adguard for Android already provides FW functionality.
However, in iOS it will be somewhat limited comparing with Android.

alphonseM

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
Adguard Pro provides "Family protection" DNS:
https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-dns-family-protection/
[doublepost=1478726366][/doublepost]

We do show it as well:) Named "Requests log". We don't save and show the beautiful stats though:)

When you get Adguard Pro (iOS) down in size, ill consider you again. In the meantime Disconnect Pro is absolutely fantastic.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like Adblock Fast got another update today. Strangely the update release notes mention that it's not only supporting 64-bit devices...except that these kinds of content blockers that were introduced since iOS 9 days were always only for 64-bit devices.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Was thinking more of a filter like the Annoyances or Social media ones. Also, why is the app still so big in size?

Both Annoyances and Social filters are heavily relying on cosmetic filtering rules, which cannot be used on DNS-level.
What for the size, we have not yet removed tutorial videos from the app distributive.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Both Annoyances and Social filters are heavily relying on cosmetic filtering rules, which cannot be used on DNS-level.
What for the size, we have not yet removed tutorial videos from the app distributive.
I remember you stating that your team was looking into moving the tutorials from the app to your website. That should cut down the size of the app considerably. Thank you.

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2015
Moscow
Can you please check Email by easily do is crashing a lot when adguard pro VPN is on, if i turn off VPN it is fine.

What's your customer ID (you should've received it in the autoreply email)? I'll take a look at the ticket.
[doublepost=1484860733][/doublepost]
@avatar_adg
Any idea if the app works with VyprnVPN ?

Confirmed to be compatible, sorry for the delay.

Reactions: silvetti

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
What's your customer ID (you should've received it in the autoreply email)? I'll take a look at the ticket.
[doublepost=1484860733][/

Hi, didn't receive any auto reply email, there is 1 id on confirmation account email if that helps, 11749.
Thanks
[doublepost=1484861081][/doublepost]
Hi, didn't receive any auto reply email, there is 1 id on confirmation account email if that helps, 11749.
Thanks
[doublepost=1484861112][/doublepost]Hi, didn't receive any auto reply email, there is 1 id on confirmation account email if that helps, 11749.
[doublepost=1484861288][/doublepost]Hi, didn't receive any auto reply email, there is 1 id on confirmation account email if that helps, 11749.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.