Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
There are always these questions about Mac vs iPad (Pro) and I felt like sharing my experience.

I decided to switch to iPad back in 2016 after the original (1st gen) iPad Pro hit the market. I ditched my 13” MacBook Pro and never looked back. I always used my private devices for work and switching to iPad also made sense as you could natively use work email on the iOS (but not on a Mac OS).

Sure, the first months were a bit difficult. Note that back in 2016 there was no trackpad and the iOS was still very basic. Lots of files, webpages, etc would not open optimally and there was lack of some much needed apps/software. Still, I never felt like switching back to MacBook. Granted, for my work, I don’t need video editing software; I mostly work with documents.

Now, almost 8 years later, I am on my second iPad Pro (bought in 2019) + the Smart Cover which is slowly disintegrating. But I love working on iPad more than ever, as I can now compare. Late last year I bought a 15” MacBook Air — only because it had a bigger screen than my iPad — but the experience on a MBP didn’t feel natural at all. I know there has allegedly been tons of progress for MacOS, but it just doesn’t feel that way. The whole experience is quite cumbersome and quite dated. I had already forgotten the dreaded pop-ups on the top right corner of MacOS and the bouncy icons on the dock. And you still have to Save Changes? Come on. .. I also didn’t realise there is so much software missing — there is no ChatGPT app, no Netflix, no apps or authenticators for my banks, etc. So whereas I can use my iPad without my iPhone, I could not do the same with a Mac. Long story short, I sold the MB Air after 3 weeks of trying hard to like it.

To clarify for those debating the iPad’s suitability for serious work, its capabilities should not be underestimated. I have produced hundreds of serious written materials on it, including dozens of studies over 10k words. iOS has never failed me (I prefer Pages to Word — more stable). For research, writing, reading, whatever. For most office jobs iPad is not only not worse, but is much better than a MacBook. The touchscreen + Pencil are very useful features. The iPad’s versatility allows (detaching it from the cover) me document reading away from the confinement of a desk.

The minuses? A few. Mostly iOS. One thing — which I am surprised nobody mentions — is the ongoing issue with Copy-Paste. This dates back to the beginnings of iPad OS. Essentially, every here and then when you use a hardware keyboard (Smart Cover or a Bluetooth keyboard), the cmd+V does not do anything. So you have to go back and use “Copy” on the touchscreen. I cannot understand why this is so hard to fix, but I guess most people are just not such iPad power users as me and just don’t care.

The other thing is the document organisation. It is still a bit cumbersome. I also still wish there was a dedicated Preview-like app for the iPad so that all my PDF documents could be saved and viewed there. The “best” document management apps like GoodReads, Documents, etc feel to me underwhelming or outright disappointing. If the developers cannot do a better job, Apple should.

There may be some other small things which I am already failing to notice, but truthfully I can point to way more many annoyances of MacOS. It is also quite clear that Apple is really pushing iPad as an alternative, rather than a complement to a Mac. Hence the pace of innovation for iPad OS is also much more noticeable. And this will only continue this way.

Would love to hear what others think.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
#2 is bullseye. Mac can run software that iPad can't. Mac can run software faster than iPad can. Etc.

One could pit Windows PC against both Mac and iPad with the same points. Windows can run software that Mac & iPad can't. Windows can run software faster than Mac or iPad. Etc.

It's great that iPad works for your needs. Those needs have to stay within the range of what iPad can do. A computer is more flexible in what it is able to do/run than iPad. It will only take as little as one need popping up that iPad can't cover to have you firing up that MBair... or perhaps hopping onto a PC if MBair can't do it.

So good for you but I wouldn't be so quick to broadly imagine that many others can do the same. Can some? Certainly... "what's a computer?" But it only takes as little as one app to make your adjustable wrench not able to screw in 30 screws... or your 28-in-1 bicycle tool not able to change a car's spark plugs. If you need those screws screwed in or those spark plugs changed, you'll need a different tool than the one you have... even if it has generally covered all needs to this point in time.

Somewhat like you, there are many people in the world who have only a smart phone as their "computer" and they are doing all their computing tasks on it. Some of those use iPhone and more use Android. They could offer the same idea on a forum like this- that their Phone is able to do everything they need from a computing device. And they are right per their own needs... until they need it to do something it can't... and then they need some other kind of computing device... or an actual screwdriver... or a socket set with an attachment for deep-set spark plugs.

I just made a passionate case in another thread of how one can substitute cellular iPad Mini for iPhone with a VOIP app and buds. I've been doing exactly that for 11 years now and it covers all of my telephone & texting needs just fine. As a result, I'm an Apple guy who hasn't owned an iPhone in more than 11 years. 🤪

Does that "success" for me mean that everyone can do the same? Almost certainly not. There are tradeoffs in tech choices and it's easy to undermine my approach by simply offering up something as simple as "pocket-ability" or "911 vs. E911" or having to use buds instead of just holding it up to an ear, or "FaceID or bust!!!", etc. What has been perfectly fine for me for 11 years might not work for another guy for more than a few hours... as soon as he bumps into "oh, but I can't do this..."

Last edited:

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I made a similar change in 2017 and very agree with your appreciations.

However, I have now bought a MacBook Pro M3 Pro, mainly because of the autonomy issue and the Office suite. The iPad as a personal device is enough for me and I like to use it more than the Mac (I only have desktop Mac, no laptop), but however, at a professional level my situation has changed recently and having a portable Mac is good for me, to do just what the iPad fails in.

However, the iPad as a portable device I like the MacBook Pro better. But the software on the iPad falls short at times.

I'm also annoyed by the copy/paste bug, and it's something that's gone unfixed for many years.

Reactions: zach-coleman

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I tried to go iPad-only, but it didn't work for me. That wasn't that long ago, like in 2019. I just didn't like the lack of control. Glad it worked for you though!

One thing I don't understand is the lack of apps you mentioned. The things you mentioned are websites, not apps. I guess you mean you want desktop apps instead of just going to the websites? I guess that is just a preference because I never even thought about that as being a downside. I actually considered it a plus!

Reactions: outlawarth and IG88

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
It's nice that people can do what they need to do with one device, doesn't mean that everyone has to. I'm the type that likes to have a variety of devices to do things that I need to do. Just because some people can't relate to other people's needs or workflows doesn't negate the appropriateness of those needs/workflows, there's two sides to the fence here.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
To the OP - I agree with you that an iPad is a viable alternative to a MacBook/PC, as I don’t think any solution covers 100% of all requirements, unfortunately, these threads bring out the iPad haters, they lurk in this forum and jump on every single thread (however well intended the thread is) to air their biased blinkered views, regardless of the topic they will find a way to start an argument over why the iPad is “not a real computer” or “it’s just a big iPhone” etc

We should have a sub forum for only those who like iPads so we do not have to wade through luddite’s posts to read what we actually came here for.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
...To clarify for those debating the iPad’s suitability for serious work, its capabilities should not be underestimated. I have produced hundreds of serious written materials on it, including dozens of studies over 10k words. iOS has never failed me (I prefer Pages to Word — more stable). For research, writing, reading, whatever. For most office jobs iPad is not only not worse, but is much better than a MacBook. The touchscreen + Pencil are very useful features. The iPad’s versatility allows (detaching it from the cover) me document reading away from the confinement of a desk.
Would love to hear what others think.
great to hear this. thanks for sharing.

for me, i am eagerly anticipating when my own work flow allows this.

i had an iPad up until 4 years ago, but gave up on it.

over the last 3 years or so, i have found that i enjoy doing more and more of the simpler tasks on my iPhone rather than my mac (MacBook Air).
but of course writing and excel/numbers documents still benefitted from my mac.

i nearly thought it was time to make the switch from mac to iPad Air after the Magic Keyboard came out, but felt it was too unwieldy and couldn't take the place of my thin MacBook Air that is comfortable to use absolutely in whatever sitting or lying position. weight of the Magic Keyboard itself was a big factor.

fast forward to next month when it is rumoured that a new design for a keyboard will be launched.

apple, make it thin, make it light, make it with nice trackpad, make it with a great hinge of some sort (apple has always made great hinges), and i am replacing my mac (with either the iPad Air or iPad Pro whichever the new keyboard fits).

Last edited:

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
To the OP - I agree with you that an iPad is a viable alternative to a MacBook/PC, as I don’t think any solution covers 100% of all requirements, unfortunately, these threads bring out the iPad haters, they lurk in this forum and jump on every single thread (however well intended the thread is) to air their biased blinkered views, regardless of the topic they will find a way to start an argument over why the iPad is “not a real computer” or “it’s just a big iPhone” etc

We should have a sub forum for only those who like iPads so we do not have to wade through luddite’s posts to read what we actually came here for.
I don't think that people who aren't comfortable with an iPad being their primary computing platform are necessarily "haters." OP literally ended his post with "Would love to hear what others think."

People might hate the constraints that the OS unnecessarily puts on what they can do, but I don't know many people that would say they just outright hate the iPad.

Also, why are their views biased? A bias has to be caused by something making their view of something unfair in someway. Like if an iPad kicked their dog or their middle school bully help design it. Most people posting have used an iPad and just don't see it as meeting their needs.

I will say, it is unfair for someone to say that other people shouldn't be ok with only using an iPad. But people that only use an iPad should be ok with people saying that it wouldn't work for them.

Like i mentioned, I tried only using an iPad, and I was all-in and expecting it to work for me. I made it about 6 months and when I finally got a Mac again the sensation was very freeing.

But yeah, if you only want to see opinions that agree with your own, this probably isn't the best place to post. Maybe a whole forum of "Only Post if you agree" threads would be nice, but it wouldn't be that interesting.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s obvious iPad meets your computing purposes. That’s great. But macOS (Macs) and iOS/iPadOS (iPhone/iPad) are very different “tools”. Different tools for different purposes. To use a bad pun, your not comparing apples to apples.
Actually, for his specific needs it is an apples-to-apples comparison; while comparing different people’s needs isn’t.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think that people who aren't comfortable with an iPad being their primary computing platform are necessarily "haters." OP literally ended his post with "Would love to hear what others think."

People might hate the constraints that the OS unnecessarily puts on what they can do, but I don't know many people that would say they just outright hate the iPad.

Also, why are their views biased? A bias has to be caused by something making their view of something unfair in someway. Like if an iPad kicked their dog or their middle school bully help design it. Most people posting have used an iPad and just don't see it as meeting their needs.

I will say, it is unfair for someone to say that other people shouldn't be ok with only using an iPad. But people that only use an iPad should be ok with people saying that it wouldn't work for them.

Like i mentioned, I tried only using an iPad, and I was all-in and expecting it to work for me. I made it about 6 months and when I finally got a Mac again the sensation was very freeing.

But yeah, if you only want to see opinions that agree with your own, this probably isn't the best place to post. Maybe a whole forum of "Only Post if you agree" threads would be nice, but it wouldn't be that interesting.
Personal views are inherently biased. People who prefer iPads are biased towards them and people who prefer Macs are biased towards them. And that’s ok.

What I have observed on here is that people who prefer Macs get or act offended by people who say an iPad can be their only computer; while people who prefer iPads don’t get offended by people who say an iPad can’t be their only computer. Like they are concerned that Apple will drop Macs just because someone on a forum said they dont need one.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Personal views are inherently biased. People who prefer iPads are biased towards them and people who prefer Macs are biased towards them. And that’s ok.

What I have observed on here is that people who prefer Macs get or act offended by people who say an iPad can be their only computer; while people who prefer iPads don’t get offended by people who say an iPad can’t be their only computer. Like they are concerned that Apple will drop Macs just because someone on a forum said they dont need one.
Your views might be valid, and I guess a preference can be considered a bias, but they way you used it seemed to denote it was an unfair bias, as if most people hadn't given the iPad chance or were against them for some other reason than personal preference.

Thank you for the clarification!

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

Case in point.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
- I can (somehow) get done on my iPad about 90% of things I do on my Mac.
- The iPad only does few things better than (or at least as good as) my Mac.
- But what the iPad does better can account for 80% or so of the actual usage time spent on it.
- When my Mac excels, it's often by a large margin - things on which the iPad feels really cumbersome.

That said, if I had to pick only one Apple (computing) device to use, I'd make it an iPad.

A PC with Windows or even Linux could reasonably substitute for my Mac.
And a small and cheap Android or even feature phone can substitute for my iPhone. (Though I probably would want to get a better portable camera - whether by spending more on a phone to have one built-in, or as a separate device).

But given how an iPad can run iOS apps, still have decently sized screen for reading and much better battery runtime than my iPhone, that's the only Apple device I'd pick.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
.....I will say, it is unfair for someone to say that other people shouldn't be ok with only using an iPad. But people that only use an iPad should be ok with people saying that it wouldn't work for them.

As much as I enjoy my iPad Pro 12.9 I would not like being restricted to it as my only computer. The reason is that I love working on Macs, which are what I used for 6 years before the iPad came along.
Just as there are Mac tasks that would be cumbersome or near-impossible to perform on iPad, there are other tasks that iPad does in a simpler, smoother and more elegant way.

I'm very happy to be on Team Both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.