Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It depends on usage patterns. For word processing, I agree, I’d prefer an iPad.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
I tried to go iPad-only, but it didn't work for me. That wasn't that long ago, like in 2019. I just didn't like the lack of control. Glad it worked for you though!

One thing I don't understand is the lack of apps you mentioned. The things you mentioned are websites, not apps. I guess you mean you want desktop apps instead of just going to the websites? I guess that is just a preference because I never even thought about that as being a downside. I actually considered it a plus!
It is kind of interesting. I used to be very against the trend of app for everything, but over the years have completely changed my mind. Some services via apps offer more functionality than their web-based versions. But for me the idea of having 60 Safari tabs open, trying to guess which one was for ChatGPT, etc is a no-go. Multi-tasking is also better when you have dedicated apps. And for Netflix, obviously, no offline mode if you are reliant on web-based version as is the case when using a Mac.

Reactions: Shifts

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
As much as I enjoy my iPad Pro 12.9 I would not like being restricted to it as my only computer. The reason is that I love working on Macs, which are what I used for 6 years before the iPad came along.
Just as there are Mac tasks that would be cumbersome or near-impossible to perform on iPad, there are other tasks that iPad does in a simpler, smoother and more elegant way.

I'm very happy to be on Team Both.
I used a Mac for well over a decade before switching to an iPad (or rather, getting rid of a Mac). Most people seem to enjoy having both devices, whereas for me this just creates kind of anxiety. Like, what do you carry around — both iPad or Mac? If iPad, for me that kind of already answers the question.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
great to hear this. thanks for sharing.

for me, i am eagerly anticipating when my own work flow allows this.

i had an iPad up until 4 years ago, but gave up on it.

over the last 3 years or so, i have found that i enjoy doing more and more of the simpler tasks on my iPhone rather than my mac (MacBook Air).
but of course writing and excel/numbers documents still required my mac.

i nearly thought it was time to make the switch from mac to iPad Air after the Magic Keyboard came out, but felt it was too unwieldy and couldn't take the place of my thin MacBook Air that is comfortable to use absolutely in whatever sitting or lying position. weight of the Magic Keyboard itself was a big factor.

fast forward to next month when it is rumoured that a new design for a keyboard will be launched.

apple, make it thin, make it light, make it with nice trackpad, make it with a great hinge of some sort (apple has always made great hinges), and i am replacing my mac (with either the iPad Air or iPad Pro whichever the new keyboard fits).

great to hear this. thanks for sharing.

for me, i am eagerly anticipating when my own work flow allows this.

i had an iPad up until 4 years ago, but gave up on it.

over the last 3 years or so, i have found that i enjoy doing more and more of the simpler tasks on my iPhone rather than my mac (MacBook Air).
but of course writing and excel/numbers documents still required my mac.

i nearly thought it was time to make the switch from mac to iPad Air after the Magic Keyboard came out, but felt it was too unwieldy and couldn't take the place of my thin MacBook Air that is comfortable to use absolutely in whatever sitting or lying position. weight of the Magic Keyboard itself was a big factor.

fast forward to next month when it is rumoured that a new design for a keyboard will be launched.

apple, make it thin, make it light, make it with nice trackpad, make it with a great hinge of some sort (apple has always made great hinges), and i am replacing my mac (with either the iPad Air or iPad Pro whichever the new keyboard fits).
Interesting. As I have tried to communicate in the original posting (albeit seemingly unsuccessfully), I am not arguing that iPad is for everyone. Graphic designers, video editors, well mostly anyone who works with any kind of media for a living, iPad can most likely only be a supplementary device. Same probably goes for software designers, etc.

What I don’t agree with, based on my experience, is that anyone who works with Word/Pages, Excel and PP/Keynote needs a Mac for that. iPad can literally do all of that, at least for the vast majority of people (I don’t work with complicated excel sheets; I stand to be corrected, perhaps there is some extra functionality in Mac OS version of Excel).

As for the trackpad size, this I personally don’t get why people need it larger. If using it for creative tasks (i.e. photo editing), sure, limiting a bit. But for navigation, I can easily manage with even 10.9 iPad’s trackpad size (keyboard on that one too small, however).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Interesting. As I have tried to communicate in the original posting (albeit seemingly unsuccessfully), I am not arguing that iPad is for everyone. Graphic designers, video editors, well mostly anyone who works with any kind of media for a living, iPad can most likely only be a supplementary device. Same probably goes for software designers, etc.

What I don’t agree with, based on my experience, is that anyone who works with Word/Pages, Excel and PP/Keynote needs a Mac for that. iPad can literally do all of that, at least for the vast majority of people (I don’t work with complicated excel sheets; I stand to be corrected, perhaps there is some extra functionality in Mac OS version of Excel).

As for the trackpad size, this I personally don’t get why people need it larger. If using it for creative tasks (i.e. photo editing), sure, limiting a bit. But for navigation, I can easily manage with even 10.9 iPad’s trackpad size (keyboard on that one too small, however).

There are a number of functional capabilities missing in the iOS versions of the MS apps that make them inadequate for some users. I'm retired now but I could not use the iPad for a number of documents and spreadsheets that I regularly worked with.

Reactions: toobravetosave

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
There are always these questions about Mac vs iPad (Pro) and I felt like sharing my experience.

I decided to switch to iPad back in 2016 after the original (1st gen) iPad Pro hit the market. I ditched my 13” MacBook Pro and never looked back. I always used my private devices for work and switching to iPad also made sense as you could natively use work email on the iOS (but not on a Mac OS).

Sure, the first months were a bit difficult. Note that back in 2016 there was no trackpad and the iOS was still very basic. Lots of files, webpages, etc would not open optimally and there was lack of some much needed apps/software. Still, I never felt like switching back to MacBook. Granted, for my work, I don’t need video editing software; I mostly work with documents.

Now, almost 8 years later, I am on my second iPad Pro (bought in 2019) + the Smart Cover which is slowly disintegrating. But I love working on iPad more than ever, as I can now compare. Late last year I bought a 15” MacBook Air — only because it had a bigger screen than my iPad — but the experience on a MBP didn’t feel natural at all. I know there has allegedly been tons of progress for MacOS, but it just doesn’t feel that way. The whole experience is quite cumbersome and quite dated. I had already forgotten the dreaded pop-ups on the top right corner of MacOS and the bouncy icons on the dock. And you still have to Save Changes? Come on. .. I also didn’t realise there is so much software missing — there is no ChatGPT app, no Netflix, no apps or authenticators for my banks, etc. So whereas I can use my iPad without my iPhone, I could not do the same with a Mac. Long story short, I sold the MB Air after 3 weeks of trying hard to like it.

To clarify for those debating the iPad’s suitability for serious work, its capabilities should not be underestimated. I have produced hundreds of serious written materials on it, including dozens of studies over 10k words. iOS has never failed me (I prefer Pages to Word — more stable). For research, writing, reading, whatever. For most office jobs iPad is not only not worse, but is much better than a MacBook. The touchscreen + Pencil are very useful features. The iPad’s versatility allows (detaching it from the cover) me document reading away from the confinement of a desk.

The minuses? A few. Mostly iOS. One thing — which I am surprised nobody mentions — is the ongoing issue with Copy-Paste. This dates back to the beginnings of iPad OS. Essentially, every here and then when you use a hardware keyboard (Smart Cover or a Bluetooth keyboard), the cmd+V does not do anything. So you have to go back and use “Copy” on the touchscreen. I cannot understand why this is so hard to fix, but I guess most people are just not such iPad power users as me and just don’t care.

The other thing is the document organisation. It is still a bit cumbersome. I also still wish there was a dedicated Preview-like app for the iPad so that all my PDF documents could be saved and viewed there. The “best” document management apps like GoodReads, Documents, etc feel to me underwhelming or outright disappointing. If the developers cannot do a better job, Apple should.

There may be some other small things which I am already failing to notice, but truthfully I can point to way more many annoyances of MacOS. It is also quite clear that Apple is really pushing iPad as an alternative, rather than a complement to a Mac. Hence the pace of innovation for iPad OS is also much more noticeable. And this will only continue this way.

Would love to hear what others think.
It seems, in essence, that you’re using your iPad, for work, more as a word processor, and less doing “real computing”. I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.

iPad can’t be a computer substitute for Quickbooks, data basing, or real world photo and video editing. Yes, you may be able to do those tasks on an iPad, but the work will be significantly throttled due to both the processing power and the work process.

If your work is mostly emails, web browsing and word processing, hey, go right ahead. But for many of us, we require much more. I use three 27-inch monitors as do most of my office. An iPad would be a joke for that.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
Yes, you may be able to do those tasks on an iPad, but the work will be significantly throttled due to both the processing power and the work process.
Have to agree with this. I tried to offload some very basic tasks to my iPP and the amount of hurdles to jump and workarounds was just ridiculous.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
it simply takes longer to do almost everything on an ipad and the limited word and preview features were a dealbreaker. i need advanced formatting on word that simple doesn’t exist on ipad.

perhaps you are used to using the interface but rapidly switching apps and managing multiple windows is a nightmare compared to a regular computer.

ipad is a complete non starter for serious work i’m sorry

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
- I can (somehow) get done on my iPad about 90% of things I do on my Mac.
- The iPad only does few things better than (or at least as good as) my Mac.
- But what the iPad does better can account for 80% or so of the actual usage time spent on it.
- When my Mac excels, it's often by a large margin - things on which the iPad feels really cumbersome.

That said, if I had to pick only one Apple (computing) device to use, I'd make it an iPad.

A PC with Windows or even Linux could reasonably substitute for my Mac.
And a small and cheap Android or even feature phone can substitute for my iPhone. (Though I probably would want to get a better portable camera - whether by spending more on a phone to have one built-in, or as a separate device).

But given how an iPad can run iOS apps, still have decently sized screen for reading and much better battery runtime than my iPhone, that's the only Apple device I'd pick
It is kind of interesting. I used to be very against the trend of app for everything, but over the years have completely changed my mind. Some services via apps offer more functionality than their web-based versions. But for me the idea of having 60 Safari tabs open, trying to guess which one was for ChatGPT, etc is a no-go. Multi-tasking is also better when you have dedicated apps. And for Netflix, obviously, no offline mode if you are reliant on web-based version as is the case when using a Mac.
With the great iCloud integration I have been able to travel and get by with my iPad Pro 2018 11" with the caveat of one damn website I need to use that won't allow me to use Safari on the iPad. When I try to go to my IRA banking website it always directs me to their iPad APP rather than allow access via the website. The issue with that I cannot perform a distribution via the APP, only via the website...... Necessating a phone call which is a hassle while traveling. Other than that iPad works great with my Mac at home as iCloud solves most issues.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
With the great iCloud integration I have been able to travel and get by with my iPad Pro 2018 11" with the caveat of one damn website I need to use that won't allow me to use Safari on the iPad. When I try to go to my IRA banking website it always directs me to their iPad APP rather than allow access via the website. The issue with that I cannot perform a distribution via the APP, only via the website...... Necessating a phone call which is a hassle while traveling. Other than that iPad works great with my Mac at home as iCloud solves most issues.
What if you enable "request desktop website" in Safari settings?
Second option could be to try another browser such as Firefox.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
It seems, in essence, that you’re using your iPad, for work, more as a word processor, and less doing “real computing”. I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.

iPad can’t be a computer substitute for Quickbooks, data basing, or real world photo and video editing. Yes, you may be able to do those tasks on an iPad, but the work will be significantly throttled due to both the processing power and the work process.

If your work is mostly emails, web browsing and word processing, hey, go right ahead. But for many of us, we require much more. I use three 27-inch monitors as do most of my office. An iPad would be a joke for that.
Agreed. Just that a large share of working professionals are people are like me and they too could easily do their professional and private work done on iPad without much hassle. But I never implied that iPad is a substitute for every profession. What I really want to underline is that people just don’t give iPad as much chance — not that they necessarily have to -- but the mindset for many is that iPad is still just a complementary device. But for most people it can really be the main computing device. Besides I do see people around me using overpowered machines, including high end MBPs, when in fact they too 95% of the time use them for web browsing, emails, notes, etc

BTW, I am old enough to remember when people who bought their first Mac said they still need a PC because Mac doesn’t have all the functionality (which in many ways was more true back then as Mac really didn’t have all the software that PC had). I managed with a Mac back then just fine.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
it simply takes longer to do almost everything on an ipad and the limited word and preview features were a dealbreaker. i need advanced formatting on word that simple doesn’t exist on ipad.

perhaps you are used to using the interface but rapidly switching apps and managing multiple windows is a nightmare compared to a regular computer.

ipad is a complete non starter for serious work i’m sorry
Well by any definition I do serious work as well. I think the idea that one constantly needs to have fifteen windows open to classify their work as serious is not a fair one. In fact, I am the exact opposite, I try to work with as few app or window switching as possible; that way I get much more done. This is also btw why I don’t like the Mac OS interface as the overlapping windows merely distract me rather than help me achieve something.

Reactions: flobach and Ludatyk

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Well by any definition I do serious work as well. I think the idea that one constantly needs to have fifteen windows open to classify their work as serious is not a fair one. In fact, I am the exact opposite, I try to work with as few app or window switching as possible; that way I get much more done. This is also btw why I don’t like the Mac OS interface as the overlapping windows merely distract me rather than help me achieve something.
i use a windows computer for “serious work” and always will

not all real work needs lots of windows but mine does and this issue notwithstanding the ipad still lacks fully functional office apps

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I agree I hate how MacOS manages windows...it's very distracting... But I'll say something many won't like here. I much prefer how Windows manages... windows. I also like to work with multiple monitors rather that split screen etc and the iPad unfortunately allows for only one external monitor. Having said that the iPad multitasking with stage manager has improved a lot and a lot can be done, but for my work I need a couple of software that are Windows only, so the only way to have them on the iPad is remote desktop...

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Always remember: posts complaining the iPad isn't a Mac are just from people with buyers remorse they didn't just buy a Mac to start with. If you're posting on an Apple forum you know what you're getting yourself in for or where to go for advice.

Both platforms have specific uses based on their price points: the iPad is Apple's sub-$1k computing line where the users are happy to exchange some control and utility for a more controlled experience and the Mac is their post-$1k line for people looking for more utility.

These are generalisations of course. Some people see the iPad as an accessory or a portable side to their desktop. I use the iPad Pro for some pretty in-depth niche uses that to do on a Mac would require thousands of dollars of hardware accessories but I know I cannot do more 'computery' things with it like run disk utility.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Oddly, I’ve ended up in this camp, after a couple decades of filling our offices with mac pro’s. No new intel apple models means that money instead goes to intel PC’s to run our design & engineering software, which then also handle media production while they're at it & really everything greater than what an ipad can do. And given the unbeatable portability & useability of the iPad mini, that is the only remaining apple device it still makes sense to buy.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Uh, that's a resounding no for me.

After years of using MacOS I bought a new 5th-gen M1 iPad Pro 12.9, thinking it could serve as my "next laptop". I was sorely mistaken. The iPad works for the OP if your idea of productivity is mostly writing/typing.

For me, I wanted to the iPad for photo/video editing and some software development. This was my very first iPad so I wasn't familiar with the limitations of iPadOS. It's basically a large iPhone and therein lies the problem for my type of productivity.

The lack of a proper file manager, multi-window support (and no, Stage Manager doesn't cut it), and inability to run Mac desktop apps led to me ultimately buying another MacBook Pro. My iPad has the processing power with the M1 but is severely held back by iPadOS, and failed miserably as my only device. I actually loathe my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 as it's the least useful among my Apple devices and did not meet my expectations. Lesson learned on that one.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Try downloading a different browser then going to the site and see if it lets you do what you need to do

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
There are a number of functional capabilities missing in the iOS versions of the MS apps that make them inadequate for some users. I'm retired now but I could not use the iPad for a number of documents and spreadsheets that I regularly worked with.

The Mac version is limited too for MS Office so that is not a good argument.

If you rely on MS office, PC is the best choice.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The Mac version is limited too for MS Office so that is not a good argument.

If you rely on MS office, PC is the best choice.

I'm not making an argument one way or another, just stating facts. I wasn't aware of the Mac shortcomings as I don't use any Mac devices, just Windows-based.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I'm not making an argument one way or another, just stating facts. I wasn't aware of the Mac shortcomings as I don't use any Mac devices, just Windows-based.

In any professional setting, you don’t see people working on Mac’s using MS office in the office. That is just asking for trouble.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

For documents, the one exception is spreadsheets. I find them to be very cumbersome on an iPad. You can add a keyboard and trackpad, which helps somewhat. But, I find it much more efficient to work on spreadsheets using my MBA. Also, most tasks that require significant keyboard work and multi-tasking with switching between numerous documents and apps are better done on a MacBook. This is just my experience after trying to get my iPad to be the do-it-all machine. It didn't work for me, and my needs are pretty much traditional computing.

I am not knocking the iPad, and I don't doubt others have been able to make the switch to iPad only. It just wasn't for me.

Reactions: Shifts and AlumaMac

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
iPad is good for bigger iPhone apps or video
only a 1 man real estate business can make a iPad only work
Only people I know that use a iPad only are retired
Only thing this guy knows how to do is go fishing in iPad threads. Still haven't figured out if he's fishing for trout, salmon, bass, flounder, cod, or carp. My bet is on the carp.
fishing1.gif

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
There are always these questions about Mac vs iPad (Pro) and I felt like sharing my experience.

I decided to switch to iPad back in 2016 after the original (1st gen) iPad Pro hit the market. I ditched my 13” MacBook Pro and never looked back. I always used my private devices for work and switching to iPad also made sense as you could natively use work email on the iOS (but not on a Mac OS).

Sure, the first months were a bit difficult. Note that back in 2016 there was no trackpad and the iOS was still very basic. Lots of files, webpages, etc would not open optimally and there was lack of some much needed apps/software. Still, I never felt like switching back to MacBook. Granted, for my work, I don’t need video editing software; I mostly work with documents.

Now, almost 8 years later, I am on my second iPad Pro (bought in 2019) + the Smart Cover which is slowly disintegrating. But I love working on iPad more than ever, as I can now compare. Late last year I bought a 15” MacBook Air — only because it had a bigger screen than my iPad — but the experience on a MBP didn’t feel natural at all. I know there has allegedly been tons of progress for MacOS, but it just doesn’t feel that way. The whole experience is quite cumbersome and quite dated. I had already forgotten the dreaded pop-ups on the top right corner of MacOS and the bouncy icons on the dock. And you still have to Save Changes? Come on. .. I also didn’t realise there is so much software missing — there is no ChatGPT app, no Netflix, no apps or authenticators for my banks, etc. So whereas I can use my iPad without my iPhone, I could not do the same with a Mac. Long story short, I sold the MB Air after 3 weeks of trying hard to like it.

To clarify for those debating the iPad’s suitability for serious work, its capabilities should not be underestimated. I have produced hundreds of serious written materials on it, including dozens of studies over 10k words. iOS has never failed me (I prefer Pages to Word — more stable). For research, writing, reading, whatever. For most office jobs iPad is not only not worse, but is much better than a MacBook. The touchscreen + Pencil are very useful features. The iPad’s versatility allows (detaching it from the cover) me document reading away from the confinement of a desk.

The minuses? A few. Mostly iOS. One thing — which I am surprised nobody mentions — is the ongoing issue with Copy-Paste. This dates back to the beginnings of iPad OS. Essentially, every here and then when you use a hardware keyboard (Smart Cover or a Bluetooth keyboard), the cmd+V does not do anything. So you have to go back and use “Copy” on the touchscreen. I cannot understand why this is so hard to fix, but I guess most people are just not such iPad power users as me and just don’t care.

The other thing is the document organisation. It is still a bit cumbersome. I also still wish there was a dedicated Preview-like app for the iPad so that all my PDF documents could be saved and viewed there. The “best” document management apps like GoodReads, Documents, etc feel to me underwhelming or outright disappointing. If the developers cannot do a better job, Apple should.

There may be some other small things which I am already failing to notice, but truthfully I can point to way more many annoyances of MacOS. It is also quite clear that Apple is really pushing iPad as an alternative, rather than a complement to a Mac. Hence the pace of innovation for iPad OS is also much more noticeable. And this will only continue this way.

Would love to hear what others think.

Another iPad compadre...

Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device since November 2021. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow, and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love the most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought an Apple Magic Trackpad 2, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on. I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like.

For note management I use Notes, OneNote, GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K/AirPod Pros/Apple Watch Series 6 44mm/iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB/M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB/M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs, and now with iPadOS 16 and later, I can also use it as desktop setup with an external monitor. I will admit that iPad OS still has a way to go but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings. Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Agreed. Just that a large share of working professionals are people are like me and they too could easily do their professional and private work done on iPad without much hassle. But I never implied that iPad is a substitute for every profession. What I really want to underline is that people just don’t give iPad as much chance — not that they necessarily have to -- but the mindset for many is that iPad is still just a complementary device. But for most people it can really be the main computing device. Besides I do see people around me using overpowered machines, including high end MBPs, when in fact they too 95% of the time use them for web browsing, emails, notes, etc

BTW, I am old enough to remember when people who bought their first Mac said they still need a PC because Mac doesn’t have all the functionality (which in many ways was more true back then as Mac really didn’t have all the software that PC had). I managed with a Mac back then just fine.

I agree with that you're saying per-se.

Yet, I don't know anyone whose work is limited to documents. From fundraising to contracting and dispatch to graphics and IT, having a desktop and true multi-tasking, is required.

That being said, for someone in your scenario, it's completely understandable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.