Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Another iPad compadre...

Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device since November 2021. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow, and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love the most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought an Apple Magic Trackpad 2, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on. I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like.

For note management I use Notes, OneNote, GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K/AirPod Pros/Apple Watch Series 6 44mm/iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB/M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB/M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs, and now with iPadOS 16 and later, I can also use it as desktop setup with an external monitor. I will admit that iPad OS still has a way to go but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings. Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.
so you are not all in with iPad only after all

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
so you are not all in with iPad only after all
No, and never claimed to be, but my use of my Mac Mini is what many people use their iPads for...Entertainment and Consumption. Only other thing I use it for is a storage hub.

Read carefully if you are able the first three sentences from my link above, post 49 of this thread, and in my signature.

Goes something like this...

"Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device since November 2021. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar).
I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs."

I also have the Mac Mini listed right down v. You need to work on your powers of observation.;)

Last edited:

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
All apple needs to do is enable real Mac apps to run on m-series iPads. I envy y'all who can get by professionally with barely functional mobile office apps.

Actually one of the saddest and stupidest policy decisions from apple to gimp m-series devices to this degree.

Reactions: okieoutwest

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
What if you enable "request desktop website" in Safari settings?
iPadOS Safari has defaulted to requesting desktop site for a couple OS versions now. The issue is they detect it's iOS/iPadOS instead of macOS. Using a third party browser might work around it. I've also seen websites that do weird things with view size, where you need to zoom out to get the actual desktop version of the site.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
All apple needs to do is enable real Mac apps to run on m-series iPads. I envy y'all who can get by professionally with barely functional mobile office apps.
It’s not up to Apple… it’s up to the developers.

There are a few developers are out there producing some professional-level software… but if you are looking for better office apps. Point your finger at Microsoft, they alone have the ability to fulfill your needs in regards to office apps.

Heck, Microsoft doesn’t provide parity among their Mac apps.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

There are a few developers are out there producing some professional-level software… but if you are looking for better office apps. Point your finger at Microsoft, they alone have the ability to fulfill your needs in regards to office apps.

Yeah, but I think Microsoft views Apple as what they are - a competitor. You want MS apps to be functionally complete and run well? Then MS wants you to buy & use MS operating systems.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021

Office on Mac is very comprehensive and while some features are moved I haven't been unable to do advanced formatting on Mac. I use windows anyway because it is vastly superior for productivity but the actual Mac MSOffice suite is fully featured to my knowledge.

And please let's not continually provide apple with unlimited excuses. Mac apps exist and not being able to run them on a m-series iPad is simply stupid and designed to drive more sales of Cook's horrific smorgasbord of barely overlapping SKUs

Reactions: AlexJaye

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Yeah, but I think Microsoft views Apple as what they are - a competitor. You want MS apps to be functionally complete and run well? Then MS wants you to buy & use MS operating systems.

Please tell me what MSOffice is missing on Mac

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And please let's not continually provide apple with unlimited excuses. Mac apps exist and not being able to run them on a m-series iPad is simply stupid and designed to drive more sales of Cook's horrific smorgasbord of barely overlapping SKUs
Giving Apple unlimited excuses? Huh?

Apple developed Final Cut Pro along with Logic for the iPad (granted, there is still more work to do)… why can’t Microsoft do the same for their office suite? It‘s ridiculous to place blame on Apple… when developers like Microsoft have the resources to produce a Windows-level office suite, but choose not to.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Given that iOS/iPadOS doesn’t even have the ability to properly eject an external drive (which I learned the hard way after getting my SSD corrupted), no the iPad is not a suitable only-device. It’s a big iPhone and that’s it.

Reactions: AlexJaye

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Giving Apple unlimited excuses? Huh?

Apple developed Final Cut Pro along with Logic for the iPad (granted, there is still more work to do)… why can’t Microsoft do the same for their office suite? It‘s ridiculous to place blame on Apple… when developers like Microsoft have the resources to produce a Windows-level office suite, but choose not to.

Microsoft produces a mobile office suite designed for mobile devices with highly limited features because mobile devices typically do not have the ability to efficiently utilize those features.

Microsoft should make an iPad specific mobile word app instead of apple enabling Mac software, really? So every company needs to make an iPadOS version of their apps too? It's not just Microsoft here mate we are talking about losing access to the entire Mac ecosystem.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If you have to look it up it tells me these are fairly obscure or niche uses which upon looking...they are.

What isn't uncommon is needing to create complex lists, formatting, references, and other advanced but ordinarily needed features in an office environment.

If it's niche you need, it matters. For you it doesn't - great.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No, and never claimed I was, but my use of my Mac Mini is what many people use their iPads for...Entertainment and Consumption. Only other thing I use it for is a storage hub.;)

I do have the Mac Mini listed right down v
Funny enough, I also use my Macs exclusively for entertainement. My 12" Retina Macbook (maxed out 2017 version) is my Youtube Machine which I use mainly in the kichen during breakfast, lunch and dinner and around the house beacuase it's light as a tablet, has great speakers, a great screen and a keyboard always available, while my M1 Mac Mini (16GB 1TB is my plex server plus my torrent machine), because it's silent and does not use a lot of energy.
While I don't use iPad exclusively for work, I do use them as "professionaly accessories" for my Windows devices all the time. My 11" pro is my second monitor for my teaching needs at University and also to draw things for my students via a projector.
My cellular iPad pro used to also be my on the go device before I bought a cellular thinkpad (as light as my 12" Macbook) and the main reason was that I need Windows only software and sometimes Remote desktop is not reliable.
It also used to be my paper replacement for my dance school (and evening business) but I replaced it with a Surface go 2 mainly to be able to have Whatsapp natively with a physical keyboard, which I need constantly to manage my school. But if Whatsapp comes to iPad, I am ditching my Surface go and going back to iPad pro...
Also iPads are used to display and annotated PDFs for my work.
These are all work related tasks where the iPad has some use. Not my only device, but I am not an "only device" person, I am a "fit for each purpose device" one....

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Microsoft should make an iPad specific mobile word app instead of apple enabling Mac software, really? So every company needs to make an iPadOS version of their apps too? It's not just Microsoft here mate we are talking about losing access to the entire Mac ecosystem.
Yes, Microsoft is capable of developing a M1-level office suite... they are a trillion-dollar corporation. As @sparksd illustrated, they refuse to do so... to funnel users toward their Windows operating system.

And as I stated, it's up to the developers to create iPadOS version of their app. The tools and the power (M1 chip) are available... but then "will iPad users pay the asking price" issue emerge.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yes, Microsoft is capable of developing a M1-level office suite... they are a trillion-dollar corporation. As @sparksd illustrated, they refuse to do so... to funnel users toward their Windows operating system.

And as I stated, it's up to the developers to create iPadOS version of their app. The tools and the power (M1 chip) are available... but then "will iPad users pay the asking price" issue emerge.
Microsoft could clearly do it. Like they did it for MacOS, like they did for Surface RT (both not perfect copies but 95% there). Current iPad Office is like 60% there. They have no incentive to make it too similar to Windows, since Windows tablets and convertibles are competing with iPad. I don't blame them...

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Please tell me what MSOffice is missing on Mac

For Word in general, collaborating cross platform is problematic from a format consistency standpoint but that's got a lot to do with how Word factors in output format to things (printer drivers vary etc.). For me personally where I saw a big difference in my use was in Excel - where macro support and pivot table functionality is different on Mac vs Windows. Only a small subset of people need such functionality but if you need it you need it.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
MS clearly want you to run Windows with locally installed apps. e.g. Try running Office in the browser version (even on a Windows machine) - can’t even anchor objects in Powerpoint. To protect their revenue they haven’t moved on from 2008.

So do not expect them to accommodate other platforms.

I am a big advocate for being platform agnostic, cloud apps that run in browsers has simplified IT. Fire up a browser with my profile on it on any machine and I should be able to continue my work - I can with Google Workplace (Suite/Gsuite or whatever they are calling it today) - but not Microsoft Office (Or the Apple apps for that matter).

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
For Word in general, collaborating cross platform is problematic from a format consistency standpoint but that's got a lot to do with how Word factors in output format to things (printer drivers vary etc.). For me personally where I saw a big difference in my use was in Excel - where macro support and pivot table functionality is different on Mac vs Windows. Only a small subset of people need such functionality but if you need it you need it.
Is this functionality difference only in the desktop versions of Office for Mac/PC? Or do you still see format/functional inconsistencies with Office 365?

I have a Windows work laptop with MS Office, but also use my Mac to access work-related items through the cloud (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and it's been fine for years.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Is this functionality difference only in the desktop versions of Office for Mac/PC? Or do you still see format/functional inconsistencies with Office 365?

I have a Windows work laptop with MS Office, but also use my Mac to access work-related items through the cloud (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and it's been fine for years.

Desktop versions. In our company we generally avoid using web versions for production work on collaborative projects. Our users all have the ability to use web versions but since the workflows in web versions does differ a little in terms of interface they generally will stick to desktop applications. I do sometimes use web versions for things that don't require as much collaboration (see below for what I mean about collaboration).

As is typical in these kinds of discussions there's a certain level of disbelief from both sides of the fence on such topics. I have no doubt that everyone can find workflows that work for them on various platforms of their choosing and each of us have our reasons why we opt for our particular workflows, but I can tell you that I've experienced first hand the passing of large pieces of collaborative work cross platform in Word leading to issues down the road.

In my company we try to minimize cross platform work as much as we can when our projects require large scale collaboration. To give an idea of the level of production I'm used to seeing, right now I'm working on a project where we have a 1000 page word document that is at 580mb in size and being worked on by about 3 dozen tech editors (it's an Environmental Impact Statement for an infrastructure project) with track changes and comments/responses throughout. For such projects where delivery timeframes require collaborative efforts in large scale its best to minimize cross platform shifting of data for the sake of document/data stability. Working in a web app version of Word on such a document is a non-start for us given the size and complexity of it. I'm not saying it can't be done, we just don't do it based upon our experiences in the past.

OFC my use case is niche in the greater context of these forums and I'm in no way trying to proclaim the inferiority of any particular platform, I'm just pointing out that for those who speak in absolutes and generalities things don't necessarily apply to everyone.

Reactions: sparksd

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Given that iOS/iPadOS doesn’t even have the ability to properly eject an external drive (which I learned the hard way after getting my SSD corrupted), no the iPad is not a suitable only-device. It’s a big iPhone and that’s it.
"Boo-hoo! If mean old iPad doesn't do exactly what I need in exactly the way I want, it's a piece of poo that NOBODY should use!"

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
Thanks OP for sharing your perspective. I’ve been browsing threads like this again as I contemplate whether I “need” a MacBook.

I’ve been using an iPad as my primary mobile device for about five years. I also have a 2018 Mac mini at home. Like you, I have no problem doing pretty much any of my work on the iPad as most of it is reading, writing, email, and zoom. Zotero helps organize my research just fine; PDF Expert is good at integrating with it; and Files plus the iWork suite does the rest. In an emergency, RDM and Tailscale help me remote into my home machine while on the go.

But for complex tasks while I’m at home I usually wind up moving to the desktop for a bigger display and more familiar multitasking workflows. On my 11” ipp screen I try to single-task or at max have split panes. I’ve never liked how much fiddling I have to do to run the stage manager.

As I travel more often for work now and expect to increase that I am wondering if I’ll come up more frequently against cases where I wish I had macOS in a portable form. Curious if you experience these cases where the iPad *doesn’t* work or has a lot of friction and how you’ve solved for those.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
"Boo-hoo! If mean old iPad doesn't do exactly what I need in exactly the way I want, it's a piece of poo that NOBODY should use!"
Who in the hell is going to know that they have to shut the entire device down to not corrupt their data? Every other system on earth has a “eject safely” function. Your post is the most disgusting piece of Apple apologizing I’ve ever heard. They screwed up and screwed up bad. The UX directly leads people to data corruption.

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.