Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
So, here it is! ⤵

Solves.png

The app is called "Solves". It's almost unknown so use the link 🔗. I'm making it in my spare time being a mobile apps developer. Hope someone would check it out and give here some feedback 🙂.

Features: long editable expressions, history, multitasking, support for hardware keyboard.

Last edited:

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Interesting….. I like that you have a History which can be expanded by adding a comment of any length.

However, I’m not too keen on the wasted space above the calculator. On an iPad Pro 12.9 it leaves quite a large area.

Requests:
1. Have iCloud support. In order that any history is saved and sent to other devices.
2. Apple Watch support. I often do quick calculations using my watch. Watch support would be ideal.

As such with iCloud & Watch support I have never come across a calculating app where you can automatically pick up watch calculations on either an iPhone or iPad.

Attachments

• 1C13FCCD-E555-4021-9A06-B0915F1F0F25.png
    1C13FCCD-E555-4021-9A06-B0915F1F0F25.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DF830DA8-81C3-4093-8164-C0DE5D832530.png
    DF830DA8-81C3-4093-8164-C0DE5D832530.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Reactions: olegbarinov

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Interesting….. I like that you have a History which can be expanded by adding a comment of any length.

However, I’m not too keen on the wasted space above the calculator. On an iPad Pro 12.9 it leaves quite a large area.
Thanks for review! Yeah it looks quite empty... This is because I decided to put some restrictions on the size of the buttons so that the user doesn't have to move their hand a lot in case of a large screen.

In the case of an 11-inch screen, in portrait mode the history can be placed on top.

Attachments

• 11-inch Portrait.png
    11-inch Portrait.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 135

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Thanks for review! Yeah it looks quite empty... This is because I decided to put some restrictions on the size of the buttons so that the user doesn't have to move their hand a lot in case of a large screen.

In the case of an 11-inch screen, in portrait mode the history can be placed on top.
Quick question:- I have the 12.9 screen. I cannot see a method to place the History on top as in your screenshot.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Requests:
1. Have iCloud support. In order that any history is saved and sent to other devices.
2. Apple Watch support. I often do quick calculations using my watch. Watch support would be ideal.
iCloud support is the next one in my notes! Later I also plan to add Mac support. And probably will make the Watch version. I was thinking that I won't be able to make something a lot better than Apple's Watch standard calculator. But with the ability to have a one common synced history it makes more sense now!

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Yes, you can not do this... The app makes this layout decision based on the available screen width.
So it works for the 11” but not for the 12.9”. Pray tell why?

Edited: This works for the iPad Mini, iPad 11” and iPhone but not the 12.9”?

Last edited:

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
So it works for the 11” but not for the 12.9”. Pray tell why?
Because it's not supposed to be like an advantage or an option. It's just how the current algorithm is working for adopting different window sizes. Maybe in the next update I will change the width constraint so that 12.9" in portrait mode will look the same as 11".

You can also run the app in multitasking so it can look like a floating iPhone.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
You can also run the app in multitasking so it can look like a floating iPhone.
It does indeed work either in slideover or as a separate window but not as a standalone app.
I am fortunate in that I have a choice, iPad Mini or iPhone.
When you bring iCloud & Apple Watch support I will have to remember to not use the larger 12.9” in portrait. No big deal for me.

Overall a very promising start. I’ll leave a review at the end of the week, or if you will be adding further soon I can wait.
Maybe a conversion panel or currency converter at a later date

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Finally done with iCloud support... The update should arrive within two days. After the update, you will need to open the app on each of your devices to send its local data to the cloud.

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Finally done with iCloud support... The update should arrive within two days. After the update, you will need to open the app on each of your devices to send its local data to the cloud.
Managed to find time to do it on two of my devices and happy to say it’s working great between my iPhone and iPad.
Don’t stop there….. Look at a watch app as Apples Watch calculator does not do iCloud history or sync.
Put that in place and what with iCloud now and a watch app, I would happily hand over £10. 👍

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Don’t stop there…
There is another thing that I decided to do now – change my monetization model. I want to get rid of ads and just go with voluntary tips. All features will remain available for free.

You probably have not even seen any ads. That is because the app has a usage milestone for that. Btw, thank you for checking out the update.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Then, I will likely start adding Mac support because I think it should not take too much time. Creating a Watch app version requires a separate implementation of the UI. So don't know how long it could take. I can still only work on it in my spare time.

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Then, I will likely start adding Mac support because I think it should not take too much time. Creating a Watch app version requires a separate implementation of the UI. So don't know how long it could take. I can still only work on it in my spare time.
Well….. with a watch app you would definitely have my complete commitment. I’ve lost count the amount of times I wished my calculations done on my watch could have been copied directly over to my iPhone etc.
My iPhone is not always in my hand but my watch is always on my wrist.
I appreciate all of this is a sideline and wish I could commit you further. Just remember I am but one of possibly thousands who are infuriated that Apple’s calculator watch app suffers from a lack of history and iCloud limitations.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
Well….. with a watch app you would definitely have my complete commitment. I’ve lost count the amount of times I wished my calculations done on my watch could have been copied directly over to my iPhone etc.
My iPhone is not always in my hand but my watch is always on my wrist.
I appreciate all of this is a sideline and wish I could commit you further. Just remember I am but one of possibly thousands who are infuriated that Apple’s calculator watch app suffers from a lack of history and iCloud limitations.
Will think. I can start with Watch support. Actually it's not so important for me what to do first.

I will continue to write about updates and work in progress here. Maybe will post some designs of the Watch version.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
In reference to the Watch App, a good starting point is DayCalc Calculator HD

Although DayCalc is a decent calculator for iPad, iPhone & Watch Apps it lacks one main ingredient which you have successfully given; namely iCloud Support for history running over all devices.
With a watch App utilising history and iCloud support this really means anything you do can be used on all including your wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.