Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitedreams

macrumors regular
May 3, 2017
Wasn't able to find it in search. Had to open the link directly.

1662890580735.png

1662890540950.png

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
If ever I needed iCloud support for a watch calculator, then yesterday was it…..
Again due to water constraints I did not have my iPhone with me, as usual resulting to the Apple Watch.
Anyway, I took all measurements on waterproof paper, used the watch for calculations then wrote the answers on the paper. Each calculation has to be carried out at that time systematically.

Unfortunately later in the day I had a double whammy…… I lost the paper with the calculations and the watch app I currently use, although it does have a History function it crashed badly losing all saved data.

Had Solves a watch app, all my calculations and comments would have been saved to both the watch AND iCloud for all other devices to use later.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
The first app version for Apple Watch is released:
  • The cursor can be moved using digital crown and, starting with watchOS 9, simply by tapping.
  • Clear can be performed by swiping up on any place on the screen.
  • Settings are mirrored from the paired iPhone.
  • All calculations are delivered to the paired iPhone. When there is no connection, all records will be kept on the Watch until an active connection appears.
In this release, there is no ability to see the result preview or history. These and many other improvements are planned for future updates.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Very pleased you have managed to bring this out…. Installed and working fine on the iOS 16.0.2 iPhone 13 Pro Max & Series 7 SS.

Notes:
1. I’m not seeing a watch compilation though?
2. History on the watch for me personally is paramount. Because I cannot always have my phone with me I rely on history either already sent to the watch or looking at all my calculations on the watch.
I have another calculator app on my watch which stores history but does not have iCloud support.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
@Beards I will try to add a complication within a week. I remember everything you wrote about history support. At the moment, I'm not sure when it will arrive on Watch. I also wish to add support for Mac.
That is very good of you. I understand you have other things (day job, home life/etc) so do not feel pressured. It’s comes when it comes, simple. 👍

• Love
Reactions: olegbarinov

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
@Beards Are you sure the app is updated? Just now I deleted and reinstall it from the app store.

Attachments

• Colored Complication.PNG
    Colored Complication.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Example #1.PNG
    Example #1.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Example #2.PNG
    Example #2.PNG
    226.4 KB · Views: 80

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Finally got it to show…..
First I tried deleting from the Watch then reinstall…. No compilation.
Next I deleted again followed by restart the Watch then reinstall….. This time it worked.

I’ll keep an eye on the next update to see if it updates correctly.
It may have been a gremlin on my Watch.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
@Beards I also had issues with complications not updating when I tested them on my watch. Luckily, on the Xcode simulator, they are always get refreshed.
Thanks…. Though I now have a different issue….. I’m not seeing any calculations made on the Watch being transferred over to the iPhone?

EDITED
Disregard….. Closing the app on the iPhone then reopening showed a calculation from the watch. 👍

Last edited:

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Sent you a tip for £4.49
I will do this every few months.

When you manage to find time to include history on the watch app I will increase the Tip. But again…. No Pressure…. Take your time. 👍

Reactions: olegbarinov

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
@Beards Usually, calculations should appear on the iPhone immediately. But there might be some connection issues between the iPhone and the Watch. Maybe it's due to the app reinstallation. I just got the same problem. Closing the Watch app and opening it again helped.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
@Beards Usually, calculations should appear on the iPhone immediately. But there might be some connection issues between the iPhone and the Watch. Maybe it's due to the app reinstallation. I just got the same problem. Closing the Watch app and opening it again helped.
Correct… Every now and then the connection seems to drop. Closing down the watch App and reopening sends all data across to the iPhone.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Request a feature for the watch app:-
At the moment if you have a running calculation on the watch which requires several input calculations the calc is not solving as you apply each part of the calculation.
What you see is:-
2000-50-50-50=1850
What would be better would be just like on the iPhone where it gives you the running answer above as you perform each input.

i.e:-
You input 2000-50 and tap on [-] and above this you see 1950.
You then carry on with another -50 [-] and above it now changes to 1900.
Finally, you type in your last -50 then hit [=] and the total sum is solved at 1850

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Update from my post above…..
I am sorry olegbarinov but I have stopped using the Watch Calculator (please keep my tip I gave you earlier).
The reason is as explained above:- The only way I can obtain a calculation is by hitting the green [=] sign.
This though then generates a history which quite often I do not need and seeing as I cannot delete this history on the watch I then have to wait until I pick up my iPhone much later and wade through the many history saves I never wanted.

Using a different calculator (Apples own) is simpler:- i.e. You add a calculation 500 X3.2 but instead of hitting [=] you hit [+]. This gives you an answer of 1600 but because you did not hit the [=] sign it was never saved to the history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.