Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
The non ads is good but don’t sell yourself short.
Will see how it affects income. But for now, it's not that important to me. My goal is to make it really well-known app. A kind of app that you will always install on a fresh device. A simple replacement for the standard Apple calculator.

Even if "Ads Removal" is cheap, there are still many people who cannot accept such a concept: "Ads in a Calculator!?" And I agree with this.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
There are hundreds of such as "Calculator Plus", "Calculator++", "Calculator #", ... (the same goes with "Calc")

I prefer more unique names like "Photomath" or "WolframAlpha".

I like "Solves". It's simple and fits in with Apple's typical plural names like "Notes", "Reminders", "Photos", etc.

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
The first concept for the Apple Watch version. I would like to keep the keyboard layout the same as for iPhone. The second one shows the idea of making it possible to see the result preview by pulling the expression to the left.

Solves (watch version, concept v1).png

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
The first concept for the Apple Watch version. I would like to keep the keyboard layout the same as for iPhone. The second one shows the idea of making it possible to see the result preview by pulling the expression to the left.

View attachment 2034005
Definitely like the option of a result preview. Not all calculations need to be saved to history but a quick preview.
Only by pressing the [=] sign does it get saved.
The design gets a 👍.
Will it utilise edge to edge support for the larger Series 7.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Gorgeous app. Love the design and the animations.
Themes are also a good idea.

I'm wondering how you could monetize it in a better way, it has a lot of potential.

• Love
Reactions: olegbarinov

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
New concept due to time label requirement. Clear can be performed by swiping up on any place on the screen, or by long pressing the backspace button (that's the current plan).

Solves (watch version, concept v2).png

Attachments

• Solves (watch design concept v2 on SE).jpeg
    Solves (watch design concept v2 on SE).jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Beards

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
How will you access the iCloud History?
I think that the first version will be published without the ability to view the history on the watch, but all calculations will still be saved and visible on the iPhone/iPad. Later, I think I will make the history show up by swiping down on any place on the screen.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I think that the first version will be published without the ability to view the history on the watch, but all calculations will still be saved and visible on the iPhone/iPad. Later, I think I will make the history show up by swiping down on any place on the screen.
From my own personal view ~ The history on the Watch coming either From/To the iPhone is my definitive request.
I do a lot of calculations using the Watch and having a History at immediate notice is paramount to my own requirements.
Having the Watch history only available on an iPhone/iPad is a step forward but I can see an issue…… I make several calculations on the watch and nine times out of ten I don’t want these calculations saved to a history. I would rather hope to access the history immediately on the watch deleting those not required rather than having to wade through calculations either not required or needing further editing with Comments.
Comments can sometimes only be remembered at that particular time so having to add them later may not be possible.
Example: I take three calculations away from my watch, all three require individual and separate comments but without access to history on the watch I can not add at the time…… Instead I have to manually write them down on a piece of paper to add to the watch later, hoping I can remember which calculation is relevant.

Calculator functions for a Watch App with a History are already available but not with iCloud Sync. I hope you manage to include this as soon as you can

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I just wanted to say, it's become my number one calculator app. I use it everyday now.

I am a developer myself, and I have no idea how you animated those numbers, but it's so beautiful. I believe you use some SwiftUI wizardry, but I can't say more.

Recently I've been following hours of Marketing / App Store Optimization (ASO), Search Engine Optimization (SEO) classes for the apps in my sig. You should definitely investigate in this, because your app is perfect IMO and deserves to be known and honestly this is way bigger than I thought it was. After everything I've learned, I don't think you or actually anyone can succeed on the App Store unless they invest more time in this.

After a 5 minutes analysis, here's what I recommend that is specific to you. I could have made this a private message, but it can help other devs as well.
  • To rank higher in App Store Searches
    • The title of your app is just "Solves". Use all the characters on App Store Connect and enter your competitors' keywords.
    • Same for your subtitle
    • Your ranking on the App Store is directly influenced with your recent Reviews. If I remember well, your app never asked me for a review. Suggestion : After 3 app launches, after pressing the equal button, wait for 3 seconds and ask for a rating
  • To rank higher on Search Engines (i.e. Google) :
    • Your description is minimalistic. I personally like it as short as possible, but you need to use all those characters to optimize your app ranking in SEO. Put in as many keywords as possible. Since it's on the App Store, it will affect your SEO, not your ASO as far as I know.
  • To increase your conversion rate :
    • A short video snippet of your app in the screenshots section can make your app pop when users search for it in the App Store
    • Can you think of a feat you accomplished ? For instance the number of downloads ? Or you can pitch it like "The missing app that should have come with your iPad". Maybe make an additional screenshot and put it in second place and tell us something special.

Last edited:
  • Love

olegbarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Tbilisi, Georgia
@PsykX Glad to get such feedback.

I prefer to present the product in the way so I like it myself. And at the current time I'm not into promotion. I have a lot to do for the app itself to be confident about it. And when I will, I'm ready to spend some $$$$ on advertising. The main thing for higher ranking – downloads per day.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The main thing for higher ranking – downloads per day.
It's all related.

It really boils down to where your downloads are coming from. If they come from the App Store, then you should definitely focus on App Store Optimization to increase downloads easily.

You've also mentioned something at in your first post. If I rephrase : "My app is not well known so it's difficult to find in the App Store so here's the URL". I'm exactly in your situation. It's also a good idea to do ASO to rank higher and increase downloads at the same time.

Those things are hard to do though. I'm exactly into ASO since the last 2 weeks and doing some changes and having to wait an entire week to have enough data to analyze how my changes into play is tough. I'm impatient. But success takes time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.