Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tweetybird

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Ordered the 256 GB 5G cellular in Starlight for delivery on 9/24. I love the ipad mini and have had every version. I use my mini when traveling and I'm really looking forward to the bigger screen and slightly less weight. I hope the battery life is still awesome and that it still charges quickly. I also ordered the smart folio although I'm not sure how much protection it will provide. I'll probably get a more traditional protective case in the future on Amazon.

Reactions: stretch80

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
64GB Cellular Starlight. What color do you guys think Starlight is? Like a lite gold?
Light gold is what I'm going for with Starlight. It's hard to judge a color from the marketing material, and there aren't too many of starlight outside of the product photos in the store.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Ordered the cheapest one from Expercom which didn't charge tax, so I ended up saving around $50. Chose Starlight.

Will be selling my 2nd Gen iPad mini, finally. I waited until they got rid of the bezel. I'm not upgrading my iPhone until they get rid of the notch. More than happy with the SE.

I always tether for internet, so I never needed the cellular option.

I wish they sold a leather version of the case.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
I found the cellular hard to justify. I’d rather spend the extra for storage than cellular.
My AT&T plan is unlimited except it doesn't allow tethering, so cellular is actually more prudent for me. I've never owned an ipad with cellular before, but I think in my case it'll probably be worth it.

Yeah, I probably should have gone with the 64 GB considering how I currently use my iPad Pro. But it is hard to downgrade from a larger SSD to a smaller one without feeling like you are going to regret it.
My iphone is 128gb, so it also feels like a step down. I won't have many photos, but I was hoping to be able to store more media on it (music/movies/games/books). Now I'll have to be kind of careful. But if I do buy it with 256gb, that's $884 and is more than half the cost of my MBA! And I still have plans to buy the pencil, a case, and a keyboard attachment. Ugh, would it kill Apple to offer 128gb on the ipad mini? ?? It's not like the air where they're trying to upsell you on pro. People who are buying the mini are buying it for the size and will not necessarily want a bigger ipad just because it's within the same price range!

So, yeah, I'm still considering it. I know I'll keep this for a long time, probably at least 4-5 years, but the initial cost is hard to get over.

espo774

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Are they starting $499 or $449?? Apples keynote said $499 and so does apples site. But when you click order it says $449 starting price for 64 wifi. Is this a glitch?

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
Are they starting $499 or $449?? Apples keynote said $499 and so does apples site. But when you click order it says $449 starting price for 64 wifi. Is this a glitch?
It sounds like the education discount was applied....

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Purple 256 GB WiFi here. Keeping my 256 GB WiFi mini 5. Decided not to get cellular since I can tether to my iPhone on the rare occasions when WiFi isn’t available. Likewise, my iPhone and Apple Watch already have GPS, so no real need to pay for cellular model to get GPS. Can’t wait for this puppy to arrive on the 24th.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Ordered a 256gb space grey, my expected shipping time is 10th October I guess shipping is slipping.

Now I’am waiting for the new MacBook Pro’s next month hopefully.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Did the trade in route.
It sounds like the education discount was applied....
You have to know how to click on the link. If you can be schooled on how to save $$, then you automatically qualify for the education discount.

I saved $50, and with the trade-in of my Mini 5, the cost for this was around $225.

Phobio. Keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Starlight 64 WiFi w/white smart folio. Expected 9/24.
Had ZERO plans of buying anything today. Oops! ?

The 12.9 Pro with Magic Keyboard is going to my wife. She’ll use it more than I did.

So I guess we both got surprises today!

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ordered purple 256 cellular and cherry folio, been waiting so long for this version to come out ordered within five mins of going live, no second thoughts on choice for first time delivers 24/9 first time with a cellular for a while but because this is one to travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.