Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
GPS has never seemed important to me on the iPad. I have GPS on my iPhone and watch. What’s the use case for GPS on the iPad mini?
My old GPS mini was a life saver during a trip to Europe for offline map apps.. Didn't need cell service but the GPS tracked everywhere we went. Even walking directions were exact and pin-pointed. Easy to carry yet bigger than an iPhone to view. That and I'm going to use it in my car as a nav system because I hate my car's navigation. The GPS it totally worth the extra cost in my use case.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
64GB Space Gray WIFI - I was flip flopping on cellular, but I feel that everytime I get it on an iPad with cellular I end up having a really hard time finding areas that don't have reliable wi-fi. My 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 has cellular and I'm about to cancel my cellular plan on it due to lack of use.

My underlying problem is that my iPhone is always on me, has unlimited data and tethering. This means whenever I use my iPad cellular plan, I'm always paranoid of my data use (2gb plan) which kinda defeats the purpose.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Ordered a Mini 6 - 64GB - Space Grey - WiFi only. Due for delivery on 24/09.

I already have a Cellular 12.9 (2020) with an Apple Pencil 2.

I also have a Mini 5 that i picked up last week as i was of the understanding that the Mini 6 wouldn’t be announced/available until Oct/Nov.

Will give the Mini 6 a run for a week or two and see how i like it.

I didn’t bother with cellular on the Mini 6 as I have unlimited data on my iPhone and am happy to tether.

Already have a magnetic folio case on its way from Ztotop (via Amazon). Should be here tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
This was the announcement I was most hyped for and I was pleasantly surprised that we're getting it in September rather than October or November. Ordered one in purple with 64gb Wi-Fi only right away. I've been hoping for an iPad mini with smaller bezels since the first mini was released. Very happy! :)

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
Can’t wait until next Friday for my Mini 6 64GB Space Gray! Anyone else use the Otterbox Defender for their case? I’ve been using them for both the iPhone and iPads that I buy. Hoping Otterbox has them ready to order before next Friday ?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Can’t wait until next Friday for my Mini 6 64GB Space Gray! Anyone else use the Otterbox Defender for their case? I’ve been using them for both the iPhone and iPads that I buy. Hoping Otterbox has them ready to order before next Friday ?

I just got the Apple smartfolio cover. Personally I never understood getting a super lightweight iPad, then weighing it down with a heavy case. But that's just me.

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
I just got the Apple smartfolio cover. Personally I never understood getting a super lightweight iPad, then weighing it down with a heavy case. But that's just me.
I just like the added protection personally for the times I end up dropping it. I often resell it on eBay once the new model comes out and like to keep it in the best shape I can... But I should just try the smartfolio cover once and enjoy it in all its beauty?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
My old GPS mini was a life saver during a trip to Europe for offline map apps.. Didn't need cell service but the GPS tracked everywhere we went. Even walking directions were exact and pin-pointed. Easy to carry yet bigger than an iPhone to view. That and I'm going to use it in my car as a nav system because I hate my car's navigation. The GPS it totally worth the extra cost in my use case.
I agree. GaiaGPS (the paid premium version) is hands down the best navigation mapping software for offroad, marine and aviation, and the iPad Mini is the best form factor for this use (except for hiking). I have used GaiaGPS for offroad and marine, and on all sizes of phones and iPads. Incredible number of maps and map overlays provided.

But you have to have the cellular version of the iPad to get GPS tracking where there is NO internet service, without inconvenient workarounds. I don't bother getting the cellular service connection (I can use my iPhone hotspot instead), I just want the GPS chip. Something to consider for anyone with a similar type of usage:

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 11.31.14 AM.png

Last edited:

Attirex

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
Ordered purple 64GB wifi only, getting $225 trade in for my current Mini (which sucks). So that's exciting for.....me. And pretty much no one else gives a #$@, and shouldn't.

OK, you guys have been great! Good night!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Decided not to wait. Went with base Purple. Would have went Silver if they offered it. Considered Starlight, but the more I saw of it the less I think I’d like it.

Edit 9/17: Cancelled. Decided to order from Costco instead. Might have to wait a longer, but basically get AppleCare+ for free with the discounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: stretch80

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Ordered a gray 256GB wifi only as soon as they went up :). Can't believe they're already a month out for delivery!! I'm moving from a 2018 11" pro; this is what I've really wanted and was just waiting on the design update.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ordered a gray 256GB wifi only as soon as they went up :). Can't believe they're already a month out for delivery!! I'm moving from a 2018 11" pro; this is what I've really wanted and was just waiting on the design update.

I was too busy at work to place my order ASAP and my desired configuration (5G Space Gray 256GB) was already delayed by the time I got home.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should just get the Pink version or if I should try my luck at in-store pickup for day of release. Bezels are all black nowadays anyway and that's the most important thing to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.