Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hey, which is the best device for media consumption, for mostly Youtube and Netflix content?
I m usually an iPad Mini user but iPad Pro has Pro Motion, bigger display, M1 chip [longer support]
Maybe it helps for media consumption?
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You'll get only subjective replies to this question. I would never, for instance, consider the mini for media consumption.
The best iPad in my opinion is the MiniLED M1 12.9.
But then if you are someone who holds your tablet in one hand all the time while consuming media (I don't, I only hold it while I move around the house for short moments, then when I settle in a room I no longer hold it) instead of putting it in the smart folio or on a tablet stand, then the 12.9 is not good for your use case.
As you see, there is no objective answer to your question...

Reactions: rui no onna

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Mini is good for short videos and couch duty since you’ll need to hold it close and it has the smallest black bars. If you’re planning on watching movies then you’ll need something bigger and depending on how far you place it away will determine the screen size you’ll need. The 12.9” has huge black bars so you’ve been warned.

It might be an unpopular opinion but iPads kind of suck for movies due to the aspect ratio.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Mini is good for short videos and couch duty since you’ll need to hold it close and it has the smallest black bars. If you’re planning on watching movies then you’ll need something bigger and depending on how far you place it away will determine the screen size you’ll need. The 12.9” has huge black bars owner so you’ve been warned.

It might be an unpopular opinion but iPads kind of suck for movies due to the aspect ratio.
I am not particularly bothered by black bars, but indeed Samsung tablets are better for watching movies

Reactions: Simacca

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Mini is good for short videos and couch duty since you’ll need to hold it close and it has the smallest black bars. If you’re planning on watching movies then you’ll need something bigger and depending on how far you place it away will determine the screen size you’ll need. The 12.9” has huge black bars owner so you’ve been warned.

Even still 12.9 is much bigger than the 11

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Bigger models with more screen estate work better for me for media consumption.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I forgot to mention but its mainly for bed/couch purpose
I dont understand why you guys saying Mini does have less black borders?
Its same aspect ratio right?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Mini is good for short videos and couch duty since you’ll need to hold it close and it has the smallest black bars. If you’re planning on watching movies then you’ll need something bigger and depending on how far you place it away will determine the screen size you’ll need. The 12.9” has huge black bars so you’ve been warned.

I know but iPad are more reliable devices with longer support and you can sell it after years, not really the case of Android tablet, overall better tablets but still i might take a look into Samsung tablets, thanks

GhostOS

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2022
This is highly subjective so everyone will have their preferences.

I initially bought the Mini 6 but returned it as I personally couldn't stand the awful jelly and bad UI scaling. Unbelivably shoddy QA from someone like Apple. Anyway I returned and got the iPad Pro 11 instead which is a top tier media consumption device. I personally prefer it over the bigger 12.9 cousin as 11 for me feels more natural to be able to hold it in one hand like a magazine, and i'm happy not lugging around a large 12.9 size glass object just to get a few more inches of screen.

I personally consider the 11 a great sweet spot as it feels more natural and have ended up using it for a lot more than just media consumption because of it's perfect size.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I forgot to mention but its mainly for bed/couch purpose
I dont understand why you guys saying Mini does have less black borders?
Its same aspect ratio right?
Nope, mini is 3:2, so slightly wider.

I have the mini and for me it's perfect for "media consumption", because it's a tertiary device I use on the move. If it's going to be your *primary* device for watching stuff, you'll want a bigger one, but I have a big television in my living room and a smaller one in the office, so the iPad mini is ideal because it's small and light and something I use on trains etc.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
really this question doesn't just come down to media consumption though, we need far more information about your circumstances and how much the price will affect your decision. If you're going to be using it for watching stuff every day, and you can afford the Pro, get the Pro. If it's something for occasional use and you don't want to spend more than you have to, get the mini.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
For the price of an iPad, have you considered buying a tv for the couch in the living room and another tv for the bedroom (and have cash left over) … They’ll provide a far superior media (YouTube and Netflix) viewing experience! Just get one with Airplay support such as RokuOS and cast from your phone after you’ve found the show/video you like.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
For the price of an iPad, have you considered buying a tv for the couch in the living room and another tv for the bedroom (and have cash left over) … They’ll provide a far superior media (YouTube and Netflix) viewing experience! Just get one with Airplay support such as RokuOS and cast from your phone after you’ve found the show/video you like.
thought about saying this as well, but I'm guessing they already need/want an iPad for other reasons and want to use it on the move?

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
ProMotion is irrelevant for media consumption, since movies / shows play at a fixed refresh rate.

For me, HDR support has become increasingly important for media consumption, especially now that iPhones have OLED screens.

That said, the iPad mini 6 and iPad Pro 11” have traditional LED backlit screens, so you won’t get an HDR picture on those devices. So far, only the iPad Pro 12.9 is an HDR compatible screen using miniLED technology.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If the bigger screen for content consumption is all you want the 11 for, and the 64GB storage would be enough, the Air 4 has appeared in the last few days as an Apple Certified Refurb. The Air 5 also has the M1 chip. The Air 4 probably won’t be supported for any longer than the Mini you have.

TVs are cheaper to buy, but I’d say iPads are cheaper to run. I can’t justify a second iPad or a TV upgrade (mine is old and energy hungry) with the amount I watch currently, but everyone will have their own uses and therefore views of what is worth buying.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
true,iPads are taller in landscape view. I personally feel that the ratio is perfect for writing word docs, drawing,gaming, etc. It simply looks natural.
Also, not all movies are flat.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Hey, which is the best device for media consumption, for mostly Youtube and Netflix content?
I m usually an iPad Mini user but iPad Pro has Pro Motion, bigger display, M1 chip [longer support]
Maybe it helps for media consumption?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
For me it’s the 11, since there is promotion, better display, M1, no jellies
Mini looks not as good if your placing on a table(especially when the iPad is quite far from you. One example is when your having lunch). Mini is favorable on the metro or held with one hand. Mini is also perfect for handheld games. If you have a airplay Tv at home, then choose mini.
The 11’ is on the productivity side and better media consumption. This size is the best on airplane rides and everyday use. If you don’t use it on the metro or when you have to move frequently, the 11 is the best option. You can have many pro features too
12.9 is way too bulky for me, so if I have it I will treat it as a laptop. You have to put it on your lap/table to use it and you need a Brydge keyboard with trackpad.

Reactions: GhostOS

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The question is highly subjective so I don't have an answer but I want to call out this statement. Why would the M1 have longer support than the A15 in the mini 6? The A15 is newer than the M1.

Newer but it’s not faster. Just more energy efficient.

Ziperix

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
TVs for that price are garbage

Reactions: gotong and GhostOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.