Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
For media consumption, the 12.9 iPad Pro is the best, especially for Netflix and Youtube.

If you need something small, you got your smartphone.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
For watching 16:9 videos, the Mini is almost the same as the 11" iPads. The Mini has a wider aspect ratio.
View attachment 2003434
Errrr... There's absolutely no way the scale on this photo is accurate. Here's what the tried-and-true DisplayWars website shows for 8.3" vs 11" screens with the aspect ratios set to the resolution from Apple's website:
Capture.PNG

1652258661679.png

Note the 69% larger area on the 11" Pro for 16:9 video content.

Additionally, here's a real life photo of the mini and 11" Pro side-by-side. That scale isn't even close.
ipad-2021-and-ipad-mini-cnet-2021-review-46.jpg

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Errrr... There's absolutely no way the scale on this photo is accurate. Here's what the tried-and-true DisplayWars website shows for 8.3" vs 11" screens with the aspect ratios set to the resolution from Apple's website:
View attachment 2003674
View attachment 2003673

Note the 69% larger area on the 11" Pro for 16:9 video content.

Additionally, here's a real life photo of the mini and 11" Pro side-by-side. That scale isn't even close.
ipad-2021-and-ipad-mini-cnet-2021-review-46.jpg
Thanks for correcting that wrong post, I was going to do the same but your post did it better than I would have done.
The original post should probably be edited to specify that it is wrong.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Yes, I can see it being embarrassing for you to have said that, because questioning a random stranger on the internet why they would hold a personal device in a certain way has to be one of the most dumbest things I've ever read.
You still don’t get it lol, in those situations you don’t hold it lmaf

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
You still don’t get it lol, in those situations you don’t hold it lmaf
I am lying in bed on my back holding my Mini 6 a few inches above my torso. I often hold an iPad when I’m sitting, especially when I’m using my Mini 6 while I’m riding in a vehicle. You apparently don’t get that different people use their devices in different positions And some of us hold ours a lot.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I am lying in bed on my back holding my Mini 6 a few inches above my torso. I often hold an iPad when I’m sitting, especially when I’m using my Mini 6 while I’m riding in a vehicle. You apparently don’t get that different people use their devices in different positions And some of us hold ours a lot.
maybe be read the comments, was in regard to holding a 12.9" lol not a mini

rogueGT

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2018
I think we’ve got the muscle memory to rest a larger iPad (11 or 12.9”) on our tummy .. while sitting on the couch or in bed..

so while the iPad mini is great , if you’re resting or balancing the bigger iPads , you really don’t feel the weight ?

still torn .. as I’m learning to get used to the iPad mini

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I switched from an 11 Pro to a Mini 6 and I mainly use it in bed. Balancing on my stomach or a beanbag with the smart keyboard was not too bad, but now I use a stand next to my bed that holds the Mini over my stomach. Might want to consider one of those.

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2022
For media consumption you get Samsung Tab S8 (11" LCD) or S8+ (12.4" OLED).
Or something in that aspect ration. You don't need an expensive tablet.
iPad is not good for watching videos as the aspect ratio is completely different.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For media consumption you get Samsung Tab S8 (11" LCD) or S8+ (12.4" OLED).
Or something in that aspect ration. You don't need an expensive tablet.
iPad is not good for watching videos as the aspect ratio is completely different.
If you are ONLY watching videos the wider screens are better; however, if you also plan on using a browser full screen, amongst other things, they are not.

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2022
If you are ONLY watching videos the wider screens are better; however, if you also plan on using a browser full screen, amongst other things, they are not.

If you read magazines, I think they are. Web browsing can be done on any.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know but iPad are more reliable devices with longer support and you can sell it after years, not really the case of Android tablet, overall better tablets but still i might take a look into Samsung tablets, thanks
Yeah loose buttons, insufficient RAM, bad scaling and jelly scrolling is a much better bet than a Samsung with none of those issues...

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think it matters what you’re doing on your iPad—watching videos, web browsing, emailing—a bigger screen is always going to better. But obviously a bigger screen always means a bigger, less portable device. So it seems to me the more relevant question you should be asking (yourself) is simply ‘how big of a device am I willing to handle?’ Because there’s your limiting factor.

Personally, I don't like holding anything larger than a Mini for any length of time, so I have a Mini. I have a 12.9” as well, but I don’t really use that for any casual consumption, because I only casually consume on either my couch or bed, and I don’t find it convenient having to rest the 12.9 on something, which then always means I’m locked into one position (and usually not the comfortable position I want) in order to see and use it. With a Mini, I can hold it in any position I want, and I can change positions freely. If I want to watch something on a bigger screen than the Mini, then that usually means it’s a show or movie I actually care about watching. And for shows and movies that I actually care about watching, any iPad screen (or any computer screen) isn't going to suffice for me. I’ll only watch on my home theater, while I relax on my comfy couch, not holding anything except maybe a remote.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Most drops are due to RAM, the A15 Mini 6 has 4GB and the M1 Air 5 8GB. The Pros would expect longer support and the M1 is a Pro chip. The A15 might go into the base iPad in time, but the clock will be ticking from that point - and the variant in the Mini is downclocked.
But weren't all the lower RAM devices that were dropped also using older chips? So it could have been the combination of lower RAM and older chip, right? Unless we have one or more examples of Apple dropping support for a device solely because of lower RAM, even though it had a newer chip, how do we really know? In Macs, there have been lower and higher performance chip options and lower and higher RAM options. Is Apple known to drop support only for the lower specced Macs, while continuing support for higher specced older generation Macs?

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I love the mini for reading books and being able to hold it easily in one hand, however I think the air / pro (11) size would be better for consumption of videos and general web browsing - light work tasks....anything bigger and I find it annoying to hold and just rather have a full (14") laptop sitting on my lap.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Don't agree with this. For web browsing and reading I much prefer an iPad mini size to anything bigger.
Do you actually mean screen size and not device size (hope my post was clear about the distinction)? I much prefer the Mini device size too and I’m content with its screen size for those things, but if there was some magical way to have a bigger screen than the device, why not have more screen real estate for bigger text/less scrolling? So do you mean, even if say there was some crazy AR or holographic technology which allowed any screen size, you wouldn’t want a web page or book page to be bigger than 8.3”? Again, the reason I made that distinction was because I think if given a choice, and if portability was theoretically a zero factor, most people would usually choose a larger screen, so I don’t find the specific tasks nearly as relevant to size as one’s tolerance or expectation for portability.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Do you actually mean screen size and not device size (hope my post was clear about the distinction)? I much prefer the Mini device size too and I’m content with its screen size for those things, but if there was some magical way to have a bigger screen than the device, why not have more screen real estate for bigger text/less scrolling? So do you mean, even if say there was some crazy AR or holographic technology which allowed any screen size, you wouldn’t want a web page or book page to be bigger than 8.3”? Again, the reason I made that distinction was because I think if given a choice, and if portability was theoretically a zero factor, most people would usually choose a larger screen, so I don’t find the specific tasks nearly as relevant to size as one’s tolerance or expectation for portability.

Agree here. I like my Mini 6 for its portability and do read on it but my preferred reading device for books is my M1 12.9.

Reactions: subjonas

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I want my eyes to be able to take in a line of text like I do when reading a book, so I do mean screen size. Reading a book on a bigger screen feels janky to me. It’s more comfortable to move my eyes vertically down a page than horizontally across it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.