Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It just goes to show, how different people see things differently and value different things. Me - I love the Mini size, and when the 6 came out, they upgraded literally everything - EXCEPT the storage, which is important to me. They kept it at 256GB, but for my use, 512GB would have been perfect. But they didn't upgrade storage from the 5, so I have the 11 (with 2TB). The 11 is close to the size and weight of the Mini 6, but with the high end specs of the 12.9 - a perfect sweet spot.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Agree here. I like my Mini 6 for its portability and do read on it but my preferred reading device for books is my M1 12.9.

How do you use it? Just hold in hand, use a case or prop it up? Can get heavy after a while.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
How do you use it? Just hold in hand, use a case or prop it up? Can get heavy after a while.

The 12.9? I just hold in my hands or set on my lap if in a chair and I have a stand if I use it at a table. I prefer using it in landscape mode for reading and find that makes it easier for holding. The weight hasn't been a problem.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Honestly, the mini 6 is the iPad I use most often with my Flippy stand since I use that one in portrait.

The 9.7-12.9” iPads, I just use the cover folded into a triangle as stand usually sitting on my tummy, chest or legs, or propped up on a normal pillow.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have an 8" and an 11" tablet which I use for different things but if I could only keep one it would be the 8". That size is optimal for media consumption and browsing when comfort & extended use is taken into consideration.

I don't take it out of the house so portability is not even an issue and yet I would still pick the 8".

Reactions: jacenskylo

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
It's a bit off subject, but: I want to get a device to read books. I am considering the Kindle or iPad mini 6. Given that the new Scrible sells for over $400, I am leaning more towards the iPad. Then again, Kindle's display is more suitable for reading and the Scrible will be almost the same size as the iPad. Decisions, decisions...

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
It's a bit off subject, but: I want to get a device to read books. I am considering the Kindle or iPad mini 6. Given that the new Scrible sells for over $400, I am leaning more towards the iPad. Then again, Kindle's display is more suitable for reading and the Scrible will be almost the same size as the iPad. Decisions, decisions...
I would recommend the mini for the versatility.

Reactions: beach bum

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I agree with @UltimateSyn

I had the Mini 6 and loved reading books on the device (traded in the Mini for the 11” M2 IPP). One of the things that I liked the most about the iPad was the capability of viewing in color for maps, etc within the books. I could literally read all day with the Mini not suffer eye fatigue. Where I’m able, I use dark mode for everything, including the Kindle app, with 30-35% brightness which I find is easier on the eyes for me and works in almost any lighting conditions.

The Kindle is great for reading, but it is also limiting whereas the Mini is a multi-function content device especially if you want to look up a reference for something in the current book that you’re reading or even to search for the next book in a series and download. I have the Kindle Oasis and use it when I’m on the beach or out in the sun for long periods.

Both are great devices, but for me, I prefer the iPad for its versatility as @UltimateSyn pointed out.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I want my eyes to be able to take in a line of text like I do when reading a book, so I do mean screen size. Reading a book on a bigger screen feels janky to me. It’s more comfortable to move my eyes vertically down a page than horizontally across it.
I see, that makes sense. But then I also take it you wouldn’t want (again with a hypothetical virtual screen) multiple columns of text, or a longer column—you’d prefer to scroll the smaller screen?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Funny, I have both the ipad mini 6 AND the ipad pro 11”. I love and use both to create on as well as to consume media. They are both great, but I use them in different situations. The iPad Pro 11” I use at home and the iPad mini I use when traveling. I prefer the larger screen when consuming media at home or in bed. But when traveling, nothing beats the portability of the ipad mini. While on a plane or train, the ipad mini is perfect for consuming media. It takes up little space, and altho smaller, the screen is quite good for watching movies or playing games. Much more enjoyable than using an iPhone. This is not to say you can’t use the ipad mini at home to consume media. You can. Just like you can travel with the ipad Pro 11”. This is just how I tend to use them since I have both.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I see, that makes sense. But then I also take it you wouldn’t want (again with a hypothetical virtual screen) multiple columns of text, or a longer column—you’d prefer to scroll the smaller screen?
I dunno, this question about having a big screen on a small device is just too hypothetical to answer. But I think generally I find it easier to scroll a page than to move my eyes or head. So after a certain point a bigger screen is a waste.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Hey, which is the best device for media consumption, for mostly Youtube and Netflix content?
I m usually an iPad Mini user but iPad Pro has Pro Motion, bigger display, M1 chip [longer support]
Maybe it helps for media consumption?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
I've got both devices. I think both are awesome! But each has a different use case. I can use the mini 6 for Media Consumption, but as has been mentioned the 11" pro or 12"9 would be better. The mini 6 screen IS much improved over the 5, but not anywhere near the level of the ProMotion on the Pro's.

My .02¢

Coachingguy

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Yeah I’ve spoiled myself and became a two iPad guy earlier this year. Currently use the Air 4 (occasionally) and Mini 6 (most of the time).

They both have their uses. The Mini is a great, all-around convenient device, but the Air/Pro 11 is more ideal for watching videos (or playing more immersive games, like PUBG Mobile IMO). But I have to consciously pick up the larger iPad. My instinct is to always grab the Mini. It’s so light and versatile.

I know many people here list the jelly scrolling issue and lack of ProMotion, and I’m sure that can be an issue for some, but I literally can’t see the jelly scrolling and even though my phone has ProMotion, I don’t feel like it’s a big deal to not have it. If they came out with a new Mini with ProMotion, of course I’d be happy to purchase it, but I’m not upset that it’s missing from it at the moment.

I’d love a Pro version of a Mini, though. It’s been my favorite iPad ever since I got one, and I plan to upgrade every time a new one comes out (I’ve owned Minis 4-6 so far).

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have both. Admittedly the mini 6 is my favourite and I use it a lot more than the 11 inch. The mini is just more convenient to use and most of the time I don’t mind watching content on the mini even though it has a smaller screen. I think for watching movies, if it’s a movie I’ve not seen before I’d prefer to use the 11 inch pro. Gaming I tend to do more on the mini because it’s easier to hold. However if it’s a game that I’m going to use a controller for then I’d pick the 11 inch pro.

I think if I were deciding between the two and only wanted to own one, despite the mini being my favourite I’d go for the 11 inch pro as it’s more versatile.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have both. Admittedly the mini 6 is my favourite and I use it a lot more than the 11 inch. The mini is just more convenient to use and most of the time I don’t mind watching content on the mini even though it has a smaller screen. I think for watching movies, if it’s a movie I’ve not seen before I’d prefer to use the 11 inch pro. Gaming I tend to do more on the mini because it’s easier to hold. However if it’s a game that I’m going to use a controller for then I’d pick the 11 inch pro.

I think if I were deciding between the two and only wanted to own one, despite the mini being my favourite I’d go for the 11 inch pro as it’s more versatile.
So despite using the Mini the most and it being your favourite if you could only have one you'd keep the Pro? That doesn't make sense....

stevens915

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I just got the m2 base iPad Pro I'm coming from the mini as much as I really enjoyed the small form factor that 120 pro motion gets me every time

Reactions: callihan_44

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So despite using the Mini the most and it being your favourite if you could only have one you'd keep the Pro? That doesn't make sense....
It doesn’t make sense does it. I think if I could only afford one I’d be thinking more practically rather than what I personally prefer more. Which device would be more useful and which one is the more sensible buy. It’s the same as a Mac vs iPad. If I could only have one I’d get a Mac despite using my iPads more than my Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It doesn’t make sense does it. I think if I could only afford one I’d be thinking more practically rather than what I personally prefer more. Which device would be more useful and which one is the more sensible buy. It’s the same as a Mac vs iPad. If I could only have one I’d get a Mac despite an iPad and using my iPads more than my Mac.

Agreed.

The iPad is my most used device beating out desktop, laptop and iPhone. However, if I ever need to pare down to the absolute minimum, it will be laptop + iPhone.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Agreed.

The iPad is my most used device beating out desktop, laptop and iPhone. However, if I ever need to pare down to the absolute minimum, it will be laptop + iPhone.
I’m the opposite. I ditched my macbook for an iPad Pro a few years ago and haven’t looked back. As an artist, the iPad Pro is not only a great digital sketchbook, I edit all my photos & videos on it as well. I consume media on it & use it to compose emails & everything else. It truly does it all for me, and is much more portable than a macbook. I got the iPad Pro for my most serious work & for home use… and an iPad mini for when I want to travel really light. I still do have an iMac… but am using it less & less these days. And my macbook pro i sold years ago. My iPhone also replaced my dslr as my main camera. When traveling, an iPad & iphone are all I need. I know everyone is different. My way may not work for others, and that’s cool. But it works for me. 👍🏼

Reactions: sunking101

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m the opposite. I ditched my macbook for an iPad Pro a few years ago and haven’t looked back. As an artist, the iPad Pro is not only a great digital sketchbook, I edit all my photos & videos on it as well. I consume media on it & use it to compose emails & everything else. It truly does it all for me, and is much more portable than a macbook. I got the iPad Pro for my most serious work & for home use… and an iPad mini for when I want to travel really light. I still do have an iMac… but am using it less & less these days. And my macbook pro i sold years ago. My iPhone also replaced my dslr as my main camera. When traveling, an iPad & iphone are all I need. I know everyone is different. My way may not work for others, and that’s cool. But it works for me. 👍🏼

I don’t use my personal desktop and laptop often (maybe once a month if even that). However, for the few tasks where I need a desktop OS or browser (often for government websites), there’s no adequate alternative on the iPad.

I find the laptop + iPhone combo more cumbersome/less ideal for the tasks I do often (e.g. ebook and comic reading) but the tasks are still doable at least.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I will buy the iPad Mini 7 in a heartbeat if it gets promotion.
It just needs a better quality display panel and more RAM to keep it moving forwards.

We all got by without 120hz displays a couple of years ago. I have them on my phone and 11" tablet but the problem with the iPad Mini 6 is a low quality display, not a 60hz display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.