Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Thinking about purchasing the iPad Mini 6 but was wondering if there was any chance we would see a new iPad Mini 7 from Apple this year?

What ya think?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thinking about purchasing the iPad Mini 6 but was wondering if there was any chance we would see a new iPad Mini 7 from Apple this year?

What ya think?
Based on the overall history of the Mini, I'd say, "no". But now that the Mini 6 is no longer used in vertical markets, there is a good possibility there will be a new model this year.

Reactions: RickTaylor

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I have a gut-feeling they may release one this year. It seems iPad Pros are coming in 2024 and iPad 10th generation was recently released. Maybe they release a new iPad Air and Mini this year to fill the void.

Best buying advice I’ve received: if you need it now for your work, buy. If you can wait, there will always be something better around the corner.

Reactions: coachingguy

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I don't think the iPad Mini will get an update this year, since the A15 chip it uses is still the latest 'non-Pro' mobile Apple Silicon CPU (used in iPhone 14 and better than the A14 used in the iPad 10th Gen) and the Mini never seems to get the cutting edge designs.

I think best case scenario is that a new Mini will arrive once the new iPad Pros are revealed and (hopefully) adopt the new design language that will come with that.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think the mini is about due for a spec bump, but I'm not sure if I think that's happening this year. iPad mini updates can take a while. I sure do love my mini 6 though. I thought I was going to miss my 12.9" Pro with Magic Keyboard, but having USB-C on the mini has changed the game for me. I can now just dock it to my desk and use it like a computer if I want!

Reactions: Yuuuki

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
But now that the Mini 6 is no longer used in vertical markets, there is a good possibility there will be a new model this year.

It isn't? What happened? With the iPad mini 5 no longer for sale, has Apple just abandoned those markets?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It isn't? What happened? With the iPad mini 5 no longer for sale, has Apple just abandoned those markets?
I don't have any inside information, but based on my firsthand accounts, the places where I saw the Mini being used are no longer using iPad Minis. This was probably the reason why Apple felt that it would not only move on to a new design, but raise the price along the way.
The Mini is now a primarily (not solely) a consumer option, not a vertical market solution.

It was these vertical markets that are price sensitive... not just the price of the device, but the price for custom cases, stands, kiosks, etc. When an enterprise has 100's or 1000's of Minis deployed, they can't simply upgrade on a whim if the chassis changes and requires retooling and repurchasing of those support accessories.

Reactions: RickTaylor and max2

chrisluxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
I‘m not so optimistic, we will propably see a refresh in 2024 with a new chip (A16) but no big changes. That means same display and design, which is fine for me, but when you consider the price tag in the year 2024 not so cool for customers.
I love my Mini 6 (Wifi 256Gb)!

Reactions: profets and rovex

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
The iPad mini 6 is now a year and a half old. I would be surprised if we didn't see a new one by the end of this year.

However, considering that the mini 6 is on sale right now for $399, I wouldn't tell anyone to wait for the mini 7. $399 is awesome.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Went from an IPad Pro 10.5 to the mini 6 last year.

Zero regrets. Love the form factor.
I went from 2018 12.9” Pro to mini 6, also no regrets. Probably my favorite model ever, and I have fit it into so many different tasks that I did not expect it to handle well.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
The mini only really needs a minor update.

Give it the same A15 and 6gb RAM as the iPhone 14. Oh, and 128gb base storage.

Reactions: VaruLV

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
iPads are tricky to predict. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6th Generation mini, so I'm in the same boat of wondering as you are. However, recent history (2020 through present) would suggest that the iPad release cadence goes something like this:

iPad - annual fall releases
iPad Pro - regular releases coinciding with new SoCs, not limited to any time of year
iPad Air - regular releases every year and a half
iPad mini - Infrequent release schedule

Pro, Air, and mini all have the likelihood of joining the annual suffix-less iPad releases, but aren't necessarily going to.

Incidentally, the iPad Pro likely isn't getting an update this year unless there's an M3 going inside of it (unlikely).

The iPad Air could totally get an M2 upgrade at any point in time now that the iPad Pros have already gotten it; this fall would actually time reasonably well considering the Air's current release cadence.

I haven't heard anything to suggest strongly that a new iPad mini is coming this year. It was last updated in 2021 with an A15 Bionic. So, unless Apple wants to start giving it more regular love, it's probably not getting any update until at least 2024 (Presumably an A17 upgrade), if not 2025 (Presumably an A18 upgrade). Then again, Apple could decide to defy expectations and put an M1 or M2 in the mini (though I really wouldn't bet on that).

Reactions: N69AP

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I would love a new iPad mini this year but only if it comes with ProMotion (doubtful) and improved scaling. I'm definitely intrigued by the form factor but not enough to give up certain specs and features of my current 2018 11" iPad Pro which is still laughably over powered in 2023.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
For the iPad Mini 6th gen base models: Amazon is OOS, and Costco only has Pink left in stock.

Could this be a sign that a Mini 7th gen could be released this summer or fall?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What do you mean exactly by "no longer used in vertical markets"?
"vertical markets" = warehouse workers, lab techs, point-of-sale terminals, information kiosks, etc. Prior to the Mini 6, the Mini was heavily used by these groups, but I haven't seen the Mini 6 used. Pilots used to use the Mini (prior to 5) also.

Please note, that I'm not saying that they AREN'T being used in the vertical markets, but that in those areas where I use the Mini 5 (and older) used, I don't see the Mini 6 being used.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think the mini is about due for a spec bump, but I'm not sure if I think that's happening this year. iPad mini updates can take a while. I sure do love my mini 6 though. I thought I was going to miss my 12.9" Pro with Magic Keyboard, but having USB-C on the mini has changed the game for me. I can now just dock it to my desk and use it like a computer if I want!

Show me your setup! I currently have an iPP 12.9 and recently got a mini, which I LOVE. I’d love to see your setup using mini at your desk. I’m not certain I’d give up my bigger screen, but I love seeing what others are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.