Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
The 2.5 year cycle seems about right for the Mini, given that was the timescale for Mini 5 -> Mini 6. I suspect it will be running a variant of the A17 with 6GB RAM.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
"vertical markets" = warehouse workers, lab techs, point-of-sale terminals, information kiosks, etc. Prior to the Mini 6, the Mini was heavily used by these groups, but I haven't seen the Mini 6 used. Pilots used to use the Mini (prior to 5) also.

Please note, that I'm not saying that they AREN'T being used in the vertical markets, but that in those areas where I use the Mini 5 (and older) used, I don't see the Mini 6 being used.
Ah! Okay, that makes a ton more sense. For a bit there I thought you meant that they were used for a time and then no longer were.

I've noticed the same. My guess is that moving from the Lightning/3.5mm I/O ecosystem of the first five generations of iPad mini to the USB-C-only one of the 6th Generation hasn't been all that quick or that smooth. I know that Square, has been rather slow to introduce systems for USB-C iPads. I can't really blame business owners for not wanting to move forward; merely buying a new iPad model is expensive enough; having to replace compatible accessories (many of which simply haven't released yet) is brutal.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
My only wish for the iPad mini 7 is to fix the Jelly Scroll issue. Man I loved the Mini 6 and bought it on launch day, but I do a lot of reading and writing on my iPad mini 5 and the 6 just felt like I was always reading on an angle.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone not happy going from FaceID back to TouchID? I want a mini but don’t want to be frustrated with TouchID again, I love FaceID. I have been hoping for a Mini with M series chip and FaceID. Well, also OLED, but….

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Anyone not happy going from FaceID back to TouchID? I want a mini but don’t want to be frustrated with TouchID again, I love FaceID. I have been hoping for a Mini with M series chip and FaceID. Well, also OLED, but….

It hasn’t really bothered me, but I tend to use the mini in vertical vs landscape, so touching that button on top right isn’t really an issue at all.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I think the question is what will an updated iPad Mini get? Hopefully they improve the screen, no doubt it’ll have front and rear camera bumps, but.. will it get an M processor?
For the price it really should, and if it does, going by my experience with the M1 chip in my 11” Pro, it’ll make it an amazing device, get a cellular one and it sure would make for a tempting phone alternative. That much power in a small form factor, won’t be anything else like it on the market that’s for sure.

Reactions: MiniApple

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
The Mini seems to lag behind the Pro range a bit, so I would guess only CPU bumps (if anything) until some time after a new iPad Pro design is released. I think we are looking at 2025 before any major re-design or spec bump.

Hopefully we eventually get an even thinner and lighter OLED model when it does get that redesign.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Deal breaker

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
iPad mini is basically a small iPad Air, at times they look different because one is up to date and the other is not.
What you have on Air you will have on mini.
I note that at the moment it is the only iPad not Pro with a flash, which will surely lose at the next update.
To have a mini that is a Pro we have to wait for the Pro to take a generational leap and for the Pro's features to be adopted on cheaper iPads.
“Classic” iPad has always been a bin, ever since Air had the laminated screen exclusive. I don't know why people praise it so much, probably because it's cheap and big and, like a flock of sheep, the bigger it is the more admired it is.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I don't think we'll see a mini update this year. I mean, I'd absolutely love to see Face ID and promotion come to the mini, but I don't see them doing that.

I've been using a 12.9" for many years (mostly with the keyboard / as a laptop replacement), and I love having the mini 6 paired with it for more mobile use / browsing / reading books. But boy does the lack of Face ID frustrate me at times. So often I hold my finger on the wake button for Touch ID and the lock jiggles. I try repeatedly and eventually tap my passcode instead. I really miss the passive nature of Face ID when I use my mini.

Face ID + OLED + 120Hz would just be glorious... but lets be real, its not happening on the mini lol.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I don't think we'll see a mini update this year. I mean, I'd absolutely love to see Face ID and promotion come to the mini, but I don't see them doing that.

I've been using a 12.9" for many years (mostly with the keyboard / as a laptop replacement), and I love having the mini 6 paired with it for more mobile use / browsing / reading books. But boy does the lack of Face ID frustrate me at times. So often I hold my finger on the wake button for Touch ID and the lock jiggles. I try repeatedly and eventually tap my passcode instead. I really miss the passive nature of Face ID when I use my mini.

Face ID + OLED + 120Hz would just be glorious... but lets be real, its not happening on the mini lol.

I find Face ID frustrating at times also, especially with my iPP in landscape mode and the camera on the side. It seems like I always accidentally have something in the way of the darn camera.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
It’s about the size of your passenger seat. You do not need to buckle it in, it does not move as it’s “heavy” (it’s not actually heavy at all) enough to not move around.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The main complaints I have about the mini 6 are that it doesn't have FaceID and it doesn't have an M-class chip of some kind. The second thing may be a thermals issue, but I would actually upgrade for FaceID alone.

Reactions: ct2k7 and Surfsalot

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Thinking about purchasing the iPad Mini 6 but was wondering if there was any chance we would see a new iPad Mini 7 from Apple this year?

What ya think?

2021 iPad mini A15 Bionic is likely to be refreshed within 5 months with a A16 Bionic.

It is the oldest iPad.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I purchased an iPad Mini 6 last month, as well as a 12.9 iPad Pro 6th generation and use them both for different things. The Mini 6 is easier to transport. I use it primarily for everything I do on my iPhone while out the house except for viewing my health data. I read my books in my kindle app on my Mini 6, which is the perfect size for that. The 12.9 iPad Pro I use it as my laptop replacement which has been awesome. I will say that if Apple were to release a Mini 7 this year or next year, I won’t be mad and upgrade unless I got a really good trade in or if it come in Rose Gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Student of Life

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I purchased an iPad Mini 6 last month, as well as a 12.9 iPad Pro 6th generation and use them both for different things. The Mini 6 is easier to transport. I use it primarily for everything I do on my iPhone while out the house except for viewing my health data. I read my books on my kindle. The 12.9 iPad Pro I use it as my laptop replacement which has been awesome. I will say that if Apple were to release a Mini 7 this year or next year, I won’t be mad and upgrade unless I got a really good trade in.

My Mini 6 has completely replaced my Oasis Kindle. I use the Oasis only if I'm reading in direct sunlight (rare).

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
My Mini 6 has completely replaced my Oasis Kindle. I use the Oasis only if I'm reading in direct sunlight (rare).
I tried the kindle scribe as wanted a bigger book experience, it's excellent e-reader but at $599AUD it's hard to cop if you don't need the pen which I don't.
Can get the mini 6 similar price which I am considering, I have a 11" but it feels a bit thick/heavy v the Scribe as a book reader.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I would love to see an M1 or M2 mini, but apple would still screw up the UI scaling and tell me its because I am holding It wrong.

All I wanted for iPadOS 17 was for them to just fix the stupid scaling. It irks me everyday.

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
iPad mini is basically a small iPad Air, at times they look different because one is up to date and the other is not.
What you have on Air you will have on mini.
I note that at the moment it is the only iPad not Pro with a flash, which will surely lose at the next update.
To have a mini that is a Pro we have to wait for the Pro to take a generational leap and for the Pro's features to be adopted on cheaper iPads.
“Classic” iPad has always been a bin, ever since Air had the laminated screen exclusive. I don't know why people praise it so much, probably because it's cheap and big and, like a flock of sheep, the bigger it is the more admired it is.

I actually don't know if it'll lose the flash - you'd think if they were planning to remove it, the time would have been on the Mini 6 with the new chassis. And cheaper products have kept the flash before - the iPod touch had one up to the end.

Reactions: Xand&Roby

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Should I get the mini or wait to see if there’s a mini 7 later this year?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Do you need one now? Do you care if you wait and one is not announced? We can't tell you to buy or wait - it's really up to your needs and wants. And nobody here knows if there will be a new Mini or not - no matter what anyone says about past history, it is just conjecture and your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Reactions: rui no onna

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you can get a good deal on one get mini 6. The 7 will just be a processor upgrade I doubt there will be much difference aside from that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.