Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Don't leave us hanging - provide a better one.
There are different vertical markets in just about any field you can think of, imo - it’s one of the reasons it’s such a convoluted term that for me is best avoided. I’d argue a great deal of people using it (this is not singling out you) aren’t quite sure what they mean. For an example.

Thinking about residential property verticals
- real estate agents
- appraisers
- insurers
- mortgage brokers
And on and on

Depending on what a field is, or a specific company function, there may be verticals inside that consist of other things

For example KKR or other private equity would have a plethora of verticals that are otherwise unrelated for other people, so discussing “verticals” only related to their narrow definition.

File storage which may have verticals
- consumer
- small business
- enterprise

Dental record software
- doctors
- insurers

It’s just depends who you talk to as to what they consider to be verticals,so for me - stating that “verticals” don’t use iPad minis would objectively be based on a narrow definition.

I’m sure you’ll feel your definition of verticals (which I’d say probably relates to some other categorisation) is accurate, but I’d say it’s accurate for you personally, not verticals as a term that can be defined by one person and universal across all industry.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There are different vertical markets in just about any field you can think of, imo - it’s one of the reasons it’s such a convoluted term that for me is best avoided. I’d argue a great deal of people using it (this is not singling out you) aren’t quite sure what they mean. For an example.

Thinking about residential property verticals
- real estate agents
- appraisers
- insurers
- mortgage brokers
And on and on

Depending on what a field is, or a specific company function, there may be verticals inside that consist of other things

For example KKR or other private equity would have a plethora of verticals that are otherwise unrelated for other people, so discussing “verticals” only related to their narrow definition.

File storage which may have verticals
- consumer
- small business
- enterprise

Dental record software
- doctors
- insurers

It’s just depends who you talk to as to what they consider to be verticals,so for me - stating that “verticals” don’t use iPad minis would objectively be based on a narrow definition.

I’m sure you’ll feel your definition of verticals (which I’d say probably relates to some other categorisation) is accurate, but I’d say it’s accurate for you personally, not verticals as a term that can be defined by one person and universal across all industry.

That wasn't my definition - I was referencing the other poster's post where he answered the question earlier.

Reactions: h00ligan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.