Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
I'll only upgrade to iPad Mini 7 even if it has a big difference *for me*...that would be only if its get 120hz and FaceID...but I really really doubt that it will get that. As far as I remember the leaks say that it will likely only be an upgrade to new chip and that will be it. And I really think this will be the most possible case to happen.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I’ve tried the Mini on 3 separate occasions thinking some of the deals I got along the way would justify the device. The lowest I got it for was $350 but with the UI scaling and jelly scroll it still didn’t make it worth it. Additionally, the battery life is subpar and the display has more ghosting than a Scooby-Doo episode (feels like a 30hz screen).

Just a poorly engineered device and lack of support from Apple shows how much they care about iPadOS and the Mini in general. It was simply not enjoyable to use and I found myself reaching for my phone even with the Mini on the coffee table.

• Haha
Reactions: teohyc and Yuuuki

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Love my ipad mini 6. Use it extensively for reading in all my book apps -- especially Kindle and the Libby library app.

Goodreader (for PDFs) also works well on it.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Love my ipad mini 6. Use it extensively for reading in all my book apps -- especially Kindle and the Libby library app.

Goodreader (for PDFs) also works well on it.
That’s exactly what I use mine for. It’s also easier to transport than my iPad Pro 12.9. The screen is the perfect size for browsing and reading while at home or outside of the house.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Based on the overall history of the Mini, I'd say, "no". But now that the Mini 6 is no longer used in vertical markets, there is a good possibility there will be a new model this year.
Could you explain what you mean here please.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
What we need...! ;^p

Apple iPad mini Pro
  • M3 SoC
  • 9" OLED 120Hz ProMotion display
  • 128GB/256GB storage = 8GB RAM
  • 512GB/1TB storage = 12GB RAM
  • Cameras from iPhone 14 Pro
  • FaceID

How about we ratchet it up a notch...?

Apple iPhone Ultra, it's also a folding iPad mini Pro...?
  • 256GB storage = 8GB RAM
  • 512GB storage = 12GB RAM
  • 1TB storage = 16GB RAM
Apple Pencil 3 charges & stores in hinge...

Hella expensive...!

;^p

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
I'll only upgrade to iPad Mini 7 even if it has a big difference *for me*...that would be only if its get 120hz and FaceID...but I really really doubt that it will get that. As far as I remember the leaks say that it will likely only be an upgrade to new chip and that will be it. And I really think this will be the most possible case to happen.
Just need to phase out the A chip and use the M chip is already a major upgrade. A chip is no longer good in today’s context

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Except the 4GB RAM im more then happy with the Mini 6, even with 64GB storage. The only reason (for me) to upgrade to Mini 7 will be more RAM - 8GB will be great, anything else will be nice bonus.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How is the A chip not good in the context of a pocket computer? The mediocre battery life of my M1 iPad doesn’t make me want that chip in an even smaller enclosure.

Yeah, M1 + 19.3Wh battery + smaller chassis (more heat) likely isn't a good combo.

The iPad minis never got the A#X chips before even when the 10" iPad had it. For example:

• Air 2 (A8X/2GB)
  • mini 4 (A8/2GB)

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
How is the A chip not good in the context of a pocket computer? The mediocre battery life of my M1 iPad doesn’t make me want that chip in an even smaller enclosure.
u may think batt life is important, but i think otherwise.well, different strokes for different folks.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
u may think batt life is important, but i think otherwise.well, different strokes for different folks.

I think you’ll find on devices designed to be used mobile and mostly handheld, battery life is an important factor for most users. Not sure what you need an m1 for in this form factor, the question still stands.

Reactions: sracer and sparksd

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just need to phase out the A chip and use the M chip is already a major upgrade. A chip is no longer good in today’s context

The M1 (4+4+8) is basically an A14 (2+4+4) with 2 more performance cores, 3-4 more GPU cores, extra memory bandwidth plus extra stuff to make it more suitable for macOS.

In terms of performance, you'd be hard pressed to see much of a difference (ignoring 4GB vs 8-16GB RAM) unless you're running heavily multi-threaded apps or gaming.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The M1 (4+4+8) is basically an A14 (2+4+4) with 2 more performance cores, 3-4 more GPU cores, extra memory bandwidth plus extra stuff to make it more suitable for macOS.

In terms of performance, you'd be hard pressed to see much of a difference (ignoring 4GB vs 8-16GB RAM) unless you're running heavily multi-threaded apps or gaming.

Not being a gamer myself, I hadn't given that aspect much thought. But I could see how a juiced-up (memory, processor, display) Mini could be a very attractive hand-held gaming device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not being a gamer myself, I hadn't given that aspect much thought. But I could see how a juiced-up (memory, processor, display) Mini could be a very attractive hand-held gaming device.

True. Even between M1 and M2, there are some very noticeable gains.

That said, I reckon high end gaming is a fairly niche usage. Most folks probably just play on their phones or console anyway.

Mind, even the A14 is miles ahead of the Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch. That console/handheld is overdue for an upgrade. Some of the recent 3rd party titles I've played run like crap on the Switch.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.