Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
So I figured I would get the ball rolling. There aren't very many cases available yet. A quick search on Amazon yields a lot of results of iPad Air 3/Pro cases but they are in fact exactly the same as the iPad Air 2 cases. This means they don't have the proper speaker cutouts, and any cases with magnets aren't going to work properly.

71L5vJ8qOfL._SL1500_.jpg

I have just placed an order for a Moku Case (shown above) http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Pro-9-7-...0939&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ipad+pro+9.7&psc=1 . One of the reviews says it wasn't designed for the iPad Pro 9.7 however all the images show the proper cutouts, but it could be the magnets - I guess we will see soon. The major issue I see here is the camera flash cutout isn't there. They won't have them available until April 1st so most won't be getting them until later that week.

What cases can you guys find? I have no aversion to modifying cases if they are good enough, my dremel and torch can do almost anything! Seems like I will have to modify the above case (unless it magically has the cutout by the time it ships - who knows) but it was only $.01 USD plus $5.98 shipping. Less than $6 out the gate!

Last edited:

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I received the Moku case today. It's very similar to the Khomo Dual, which I've been using on my Air for many months. I love the feel of the material. However, I think the speakers are going to be extremely muffled by the cases speaker cutouts. I will definitely be operating on them to completely open them up.

Here are some crappy pictures I took...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: StPatty33

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
http://switcheasy.com who makes the best back cover for the 13" iPad Pro tweeted that they will in fact be releasing a 10" iPad Pro version in the next couple weeks as well as another variation on their design. If you're not aware of it, it is a thin plastic back cover with a slot to slide the Apple Pencil in which also acts as a very convenient bump for tilting up the iPad for drawing and whatever else. I had one for the iPad Pro 13" that I ultimately decided was too enormous so I'll be getting another for the 10" iPad Pro coming in a couple days.

It will be an appropriately sized/cutout version of this https://www.switcheasy.com/coverbuddy.php
[doublepost=1459327735][/doublepost]Oh and of course, Logitech will have something https://twitter.com/Logitech/status/711983732488609793

Farns514

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
http://switcheasy.com who makes the best back cover for the 13" iPad Pro tweeted that they will in fact be releasing a 10" iPad Pro version in the next couple weeks as well as another variation on their design. If you're not aware of it, it is a thin plastic back cover with a slot to slide the Apple Pencil in which also acts as a very convenient bump for tilting up the iPad for drawing and whatever else. I had one for the iPad Pro 13" that I ultimately decided was too enormous so I'll be getting another for the 10" iPad Pro coming in a couple days.

It will be an appropriately sized/cutout version of this https://www.switcheasy.com/coverbuddy.php
[doublepost=1459327735][/doublepost]Oh and of course, Logitech will have something https://twitter.com/Logitech/status/711983732488609793

Thank you! I will for sure be on the lookout for this case - it looks awesome and just what i need!

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
FYI, got this message from Moku this morning (I received my case from Amazon a couple days ago):

"Dear Customer,

Thanks for your recent purchase of "MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Cover Case with Auto Wake / Sleep for Apple iPad Pro 9.7 Inch 2016 Release Tablet, BLACK" and we are writing to let you know that the case you received may be defective and the smart cover feature may NOT work correctly.

To stand behind our products, we will send an adequate one in about 12 days. This will be a revised version with better fit and of course, the smart cover feature. The volume buttons also line up more accurately and are easier to access.

You may use the current case as a layover and there is no need to send it back.

We apologize for any inconvenience and please feel free to contact us if you have any further concern or questions."

Reactions: Rapmastac1

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
FYI, got this message from Moku this morning (I received my case from Amazon a couple days ago):

"Dear Customer,

Thanks for your recent purchase of "MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Cover Case with Auto Wake / Sleep for Apple iPad Pro 9.7 Inch 2016 Release Tablet, BLACK" and we are writing to let you know that the case you received may be defective and the smart cover feature may NOT work correctly.

To stand behind our products, we will send an adequate one in about 12 days. This will be a revised version with better fit and of course, the smart cover feature. The volume buttons also line up more accurately and are easier to access.

You may use the current case as a layover and there is no need to send it back.

We apologize for any inconvenience and please feel free to contact us if you have any further concern or questions."
:eek:

Rushmore69

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
I bought a Targus 3D case for the 9.7 Pro from Best Buy and the cutouts for the speakers were all missing. The art on the sleeve showed the cutouts, but the actual case did not have them. Best Buy got the case last night and all of them had the same issue. They were pulled from shelf for return today.

Nice case though, so I hope Targus fixes this. Somebody in QC inspection is in trouble. ;)

Actually, if all of Best Buys stock is same way, they probably are in trouble.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Ordered a UAG folio case the other day but no word from UAG on shipping. Amazon has them listed as shipping in 1-2 months. Their own website says shipping late March which clearly didn't happen.

Started browsing Best Buy's website to see what they had for cases in stock and they happened to have the UAG case in all colors available to purchase and were in stock as well. Black one was available for store pickup and on sale for $35 ($60 regular) so I placed my order right away and will pick it up tomorrow. Looks like the best case out there to me.

New! Urban Armor Gear - Rugged Folio for iPad Pro 9.7" - Black

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I picked up the Red Case and Smart Cover. While this combo is absurdly overpriced....like....ridiculously expensive for a case, I must say the end product looks and feels very, very nice. I like it! All the cutouts and button works perfectly.

Grats :)
Could you tell me what is the exact weight of your iPad with the Cover and Case and without?

Reactions: danny8200

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Grats :)
Could you tell me what is the exact weight of your iPad with the Cover and Case and without?

I can try ^_^. I'm still on the fence about this one with the 14 day return window. The one I really wanted was the UAG Folio which was no where to be found.
[doublepost=1459516493][/doublepost]
I got the UAG smart cover case, here is my unboxing

How do the speaker cutouts line up? Nice unboxing.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
It's one of those cases that's not for everyone/acquired taste. I have the blue UAG on my phone, but that's something that's always with me. The tablet on the other hand will rarely be used outside of home, making the need for a rugged case not necessary. I'll decide in 14 days ;-)

Reactions: Ladyc0524

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
I can try ^_^. I'm still on the fence about this one with the 14 day return window. The one I really wanted was the UAG Folio which was no where to be found.
[doublepost=1459516493][/doublepost]

How do the speaker cutouts line up? Nice unboxing.
The speaker cutouts line up perfect :)

Reactions: danny8200

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I ordered a Speck StyleFolio case for my 9.7 IPad Pro, it was delivered this afternoon so later tonight when I get home My new iPad Pro will be safe.

Anyone interested in pics of the case? I'll post some if you guys want me to.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I ordered a Speck StyleFolio case for my 9.7 IPad Pro, it was delivered this afternoon so later tonight when I get home My new iPad Pro will be safe.

Anyone interested in pics of the case? I'll post some if you guys want me to.
I am.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I ignored the price label of the Apple case and smart cover (much to my girlfriend's dismay...) and went for both. Together they are great, although do add a fair bit to the weight. I think I'd get a bit annoyed if I had gone for just one as they have been very clearly designed to work together and so look a bit odd without the other part. I did an unboxing of both in midnight blue for my gold iPad if anyone wants to see the combo.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.