Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Dang-nabbit. The Apple cases look the best and cost the most!
Pretty sure you could take out the word "cases" and swap it for most things they make! Except maybe that Smart Battery iPhone case... That thing is super ugly!

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Honestly, I tried so hard to find another acceptable case other than the Apple one. A couple of iPads ago, I used a third party case with a hard plastic back and it scuffed up/rubbed off the metal corners of my iPad with the two years of use. The scrapes reduced the value of the iPad on trade in by over $100. Since I can't find anything with a soft but strong attachment, I, very regrettably, picked up the Apple Smart Cover and case today in pink. I love how the case feels in my hand and I especially love the lip it creates around the sides which makes it much easier to hold in landscape mode for my needs. I'll be returning the pink though and getting the royal blue once it comes in stock because the pink is a much lighter color in person than shown on the website and it looks like it is going to get dirty quickly. A fairer price for the Apple duo would be in the $59-79 region, I still think $118 is outrageous.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
Ok, Sorry for the sloppy photos, but I wanted to get this case on my Pro asap. Here are a few picks of the new Speck StyleFolio case for the 9.7 iPad Pro. You'll notice that the box it came in lists it as being compatible with the "iPad Air 3":

Click on the images for bigger versions. If you can't see the thumbnails, click on the "Broken" image to see the pic.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my iPad in the Charcoal Apple Silicone Case with Smart Keyboard. I must say it is beautiful to look at and hold. However, the $236 is haunting me in my dreams. I literally wake up in sweats haha. I have 13 days left to decide do I jump off the ledge or step away. This is my 3rd iPad and I seriously doubt I find a case that fits & feels this well....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 588
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 583
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 600

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Just bought this case from JETech for $12.99 plus free shipping. It was cheap and since there is not a lot of choices out there better to have a case that is cheap enough to replace later when more options come on the market.

http://ijetech.com/3370/
[doublepost=1459627111][/doublepost]
I ordered a Speck StyleFolio case for my 9.7 IPad Pro, it was delivered this afternoon so later tonight when I get home My new iPad Pro will be safe.

Anyone interested in pics of the case? I'll post some if you guys want me to.

Please post some pics!! How do you like it so far? Does the case muffle the sound?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my iPad in the Charcoal Apple Silicone Case with Smart Keyboard. I must say it is beautiful to look at and hold. However, the $236 is haunting me in my dreams. I literally wake up in sweats haha. I have 13 days left to decide do I jump off the ledge or step away. This is my 3rd iPad and I seriously doubt I find a case that fits & feels this well....
Looks sweet. I'm on the same boat with the case and cover combo.

Reactions: gatorknight904

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Of course the Apple cases look the best but they are the most expensive.. I need a good case for it since there are barely any good ones out there.. Ugh the struggle!!

Rushmore69

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
The Modal Reversible and Targus 3D I tried from Best Buy were both $40 and neither have smart cover function. Both list the Pro 9.7 on box art, but only work with the Air 2 for smart function. Misleading case art and neither point this out.

Rushmore69

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
I ordered a Speck StyleFolio case for my 9.7 IPad Pro, it was delivered this afternoon so later tonight when I get home My new iPad Pro will be safe.

Anyone interested in pics of the case? I'll post some if you guys want me to.
Does the smart cover function work? The Amazon lower cost options seem dubious and the Best Buy cover options did not work either.

Seems the vendors this time are calling their covers Pro 9.7 compatible, but only smart function with the Air 2. I had no problem getting a fully functioning case with the Airs, but the Pro 9.7 has been a non Apple brand failure so far.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Ok, Sorry for the sloppy photos, but I wanted to get this case on my Pro asap. Here are a few picks of the new Speck StyleFolio case for the 9.7 iPad Pro. You'll notice that the box it came in lists it as being compatible with the "iPad Air 3":

Click on the images for bigger versions. If you can't see the thumbnails, click on the "Broken" image to see the pic.

How do you like it so far?

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
I think il be getting a kavaj case, pretty sure I had it for the original ipad

8PW

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
I ignored the price label of the Apple case and smart cover (much to my girlfriend's dismay...) and went for both. Together they are great, although do add a fair bit to the weight. I think I'd get a bit annoyed if I had gone for just one as they have been very clearly designed to work together and so look a bit odd without the other part. I did an unboxing of both in midnight blue for my gold iPad if anyone wants to see the combo.
Does having both on add much to the weight? Tempted to get them in lavender!! :D

Reactions: Javabird

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Does having both on add much to the weight? Tempted to get them in lavender!! :D
They feel great on. It does make the device heavier but it feels so much more secure and the texture of the case is a buttery smooth but easy to grip surface. I'm loving mine. I do recommend you check the colors out in store though because the online pictures are deceiving and the items are much more washed out in person.
[doublepost=1459730124][/doublepost]Actual Apple Royal Blue cover vs Apple Store picture of Royal Blue cover (true tone off)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: alau0115

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
This is what I ordered yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0151...j+ipad+pro&dpPl=1&dpID=41u7DBYCEqL&ref=plSrch

First time I've ordered a case more than $15 from Amazon. Hope I'm not disappointed. Wanted the Sena version but at $120 it was a little too much to justify.
I had considered that one as well, but I hate cases that cover the bezel of the screen like that, they look very cheap and ill-fitting. Granted, this one appears to look better than most, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Reactions: Blueline29

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
I had considered that one as well, but I hate cases that cover the bezel of the screen like that, they look very cheap and ill-fitting. Granted, this one appears to look better than most, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

That was my concern as well. I agree, it looks better than most. We will have to see how it looks to me in person. My biggest gripe will be if it moves around enough in the case that the sides encroach onto the screen. I'll be sending it back at that point.

I also didn't want a true "folio" hardback style case either. I've had one before and they're just not for me, so this was a compromise with softer edges but similar functionality.

Reactions: StPatty33

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Once my leather smart cover from China gets here I'll know if I'm good. I've got a leather skin ready to go on the back to protect from scuffs, and the smart cover will complete it as long as it's good quality and doesn't hang over a ton. If it hangs over like the Apple one, I may just trim the #$%@er, haha.

Oh and I bought this to slip under the leatherskin for the Apple pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Leuchtturm1917-Pen-Loop-Lime-Green/dp/B004ST49YW
A touch of color to go with all the black leather.

Actually my iPad won't be DONE done for a couple weeks, as I plan on embossing the skin on the back and maybe the smart cover. I had my logo embossing plate 3D printed at Shapeways.com, and it takes a couple weeks for the metal to be cast in the 3D printed wax.

Last edited:

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I like to use devices caseless, but I was thinking about a sleeve for transporting or storing.

Anyone else go that route?

This looks appealing to me:
https://www.amazon.ca/ACECOAT-Premi...=1459798288&sr=1-47&keywords=ipad+soft+sleeve

Or I guess one with a pocket for the pencil or earbuds:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/220...air-sleeve-ipad-air-2?ref=shop_home_active_16

I do that from time to time so I bought this sleeve. Price is a steal. High quality.

Herschel iPad Air Anchor Sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW09ING/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_QgYaxb9R3C4YQ

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Really like the pink silicone apple case(so I can use that alongside the apple smart keyboard) but cant really justify spending that much on a silicone case..is there something similar I can go with that would work with the smart keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.