Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Using a Modal reversible case from best buy until my Dodocase arrives..4 weeks

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Young Turk-

Here's an alternative to what Apple is offering.

Premium Leather iPad Pro 9.7 Folio

By the time you get done paying for both the Apple smart cover and the back cover, the cost is similar to the case above yet the case above is far superior in almost every way:

Integrated pencil pocket that provides real protection? Check!
Padded and provides real protection for the iPad? Check!
Auto on/off with magnetic closure? Check!
Still super thin at under 20mm? Check!
Folds into movie and typing modes? Check!
Soundboard 4X sound enhancement feature? Check!
The longer you own it the better looking it gets? Check!

If you're looking for an alternative, it's worth a look. :)
But isn't it like really heavy and bulky? I don't know so I'm asking.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
Young Turk-

By the time you get done paying for both the Apple smart cover and the back cover, the cost is similar to the case above yet the case above is far superior in almost every way:

Jeez, that looks nice but it's expensive! I'd rather something like the Sena line for that price.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I'm still debating on if I should wait for the zagg or bite the bullet and get the apple silicone combo. I'm just afraid that the zagg will be similar to the air/air2 without the proper cutouts.. But then again if it's being released in two weeks it probably will. I'm not sure.. I really miss a keyboard with my iPad and I type so slow with the on screen keyboard. Lol

Reactions: danny8200

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I picked up the smart cover/smart case combo at the Apple store earlier and price aside, its definitely the best case solution for me. Fit is perfect and the magnets are strong as hell. The leather case for the Air 2 was on it for a year and a half and I loved it but the fit for the Pro is even better. UAG case is gonna be going back in a few days.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I picked up the smart cover/smart case combo at the Apple store earlier and price aside, its definitely the best case solution for me. Fit is perfect and the magnets are strong as hell. The leather case for the Air 2 was on it for a year and a half and I loved it but the fit for the Pro is even better. UAG case is gonna be going back in a few days.

Yes, it fits perfect. I'll be keeping my Red combo.

Reactions: rhythmac

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone been able to find a non-Apple branded case that is fully compatible with the iPad Pro 9.7" Smart Keyboard? There are a couple on Amazon which claim to be compatible, however the images would say otherwise.

I was a fan of the 'ESR' case which I used with the larger iPad Pro, however they only seem to currently stock a champagne colored one currently.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Rushmore69

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
Using a Modal reversible case from best buy until my Dodocase arrives..4 weeks
I returned the Modal yesterday, since my $6 Moko case arrived. Fits fine and smart function works. Unlike the Modal and Targus cases that do not have smart function. The Modal is worse, since the cover flops around unsecured. I hope Best Buy gets a lot of returns so vendors are pushed to stop selling repurposed Air inventory.

The $6 case is outstanding IMO and no funky smell some reported. Perhaps a bad first batch, since the smart cover function did not work in them either. The vendor did say the batch was screwed up and kept to their word the ones shipped this week were good.

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I got the UAG smart cover case, here is my unboxing
Why would you get a tablet with one of the most durable screens, and the best stylus and from a company who have made it a point to remove as many layers as possible and then slap a glass screen protector on creating ten times the reflection - I don't get it. I understood before when there was limited optical - hell I had them on my iPads up to and including the first air. But as of the air 2 and particularly with the pro - and given how absolutely amazingly strong the glass is resisting scratches on the iPad - and given you can buy an eight dollar sleeve... I just don't get why you would, along with many others - pay a ton of money to effectively remove one of the biggest advantages of the pro 9.7 which is anti reflective.

The screens, I mean just around your house - you're not going to scratch them.. If you want to put it in a drawer - just keep a microfiber in that drawer.. If you travel - why not just use a sleeve?

I'm not trying to single you out but watching the video and seeing how absolutely awful that reflection was - it just baffles me that people continue to use these things past the original air// if you really want protection, you'd degrade the image less with one of the older style crystal clear protectors that wet installs..

ANyway- like I said I'm not trying to single you out - but doesn't the reflectiveness just drive you mental? My glass protector lasted on the air 2 about five minutes before I ripped it off.. It was awful - and it was one of the better brands.
[doublepost=1460256842][/doublepost]
I ignored the price label of the Apple case and smart cover (much to my girlfriend's dismay...) and went for both. Together they are great, although do add a fair bit to the weight. I think I'd get a bit annoyed if I had gone for just one as they have been very clearly designed to work together and so look a bit odd without the other part. I did an unboxing of both in midnight blue for my gold iPad if anyone wants to see the combo.
Smart Cover works fantastically with a rear skin, without the rear case.. I have the Smart Keyboard and the rear case and at least for sure the rear case is going back.. Too thick, and RIDICULOUSLY priced,
Honestly the prices of apples cases are more than AppleCare plus and an incident fee - what's the point.. Heavier - and more expensive.

Lol man I must be in a mood tonight. Nobody take it personally I'm annoyed at the accessories for the iPad Pro so far, they're all awful... Though to my absolute amazement the keyboard has grown on me - though I still bet the zagg slim ends up being a better offer all combo for $80 less. If apple had run backlighting I'd actually consider keeping the Smart Keyboard but without it no way.
[doublepost=1460256890][/doublepost]
I see. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just keep the case and cover. That red looks awesome, but again....$130.00. Holy crap. Treated myself.
see $20 more you can use it naked for two years and have it replaced at the end./
[doublepost=1460257147][/doublepost]So do Apple stores or best buys or anywhere have anything - I have a $7 case arriving from Amazon but honestly I think 'm going the same route I did with my air 2- Smart Cover and skin - hell maybe just the skin and I think I'll slap a Microsoft surface pen loop on there... Lol

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Why would you get a tablet with one of the most durable screens, and the best stylus and from a company who have made it a point to remove as many layers as possible and then slap a glass screen protector on creating ten times the reflection - I don't get it. I understood before when there was limited optical - hell I had them on my iPads up to and including the first air. But as of the air 2 and particularly with the pro - and given how absolutely amazingly strong the glass is resisting scratches on the iPad - and given you can buy an eight dollar sleeve... I just don't get why you would, along with many others - pay a ton of money to effectively remove one of the biggest advantages of the pro 9.7 which is anti reflective.

The screens, I mean just around your house - you're not going to scratch them.. If you want to put it in a drawer - just keep a microfiber in that drawer.. If you travel - why not just use a sleeve?

I'm not trying to single you out but watching the video and seeing how absolutely awful that reflection was - it just baffles me that people continue to use these things past the original air// if you really want protection, you'd degrade the image less with one of the older style crystal clear protectors that wet installs..

ANyway- like I said I'm not trying to single you out - but doesn't the reflectiveness just drive you mental? My glass protector lasted on the air 2 about five minutes before I ripped it off.. It was awful - and it was one of the better brands.
Hi, I am totally fine with your criticism. In fact, I welcome any constructive criticism.

I totally agree with you but let me explain. I am a project manager and I work in a very rough environment. I usually carry my iPad Pro around the job site using this case https://griffintechnology.com/us/device/ipad/ipad-air-2/survivor-crossgrip-for-ipad-air-2 . As you can see, it comes with a sling and I sling it around my body and walk around the job site with the screen facing away from my body and exposed to dangerous knocks and bumps. I wish I could do without a screen protector but I am not about to kick myself for not putting on protection if something really happens.

Reactions: stephen1108

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Young Turk-

Looks like a beautifully crafted case that would have a great feel in the hands. However, for me the deal breaker is the bevels around the screen. That would be a deal breaker for me. I much prefer the clip on edges or corners to hold the iPad.
[doublepost=1460290703][/doublepost]

Smart Cover works fantastically with a rear skin, without the rear case.. I have the Smart Keyboard and the rear case and at least for sure the rear case is going back.. Too thick, and RIDICULOUSLY priced,
Honestly the prices of apples cases are more than AppleCare plus and an incident fee - what's the point.. Heavier - and more expensive.

I totally disagree with your opinion on having a screen protector. I have had Apple products starting with the iPhone 3 GS and from the original iPad. I have tried over and over again to go with a naked screen and find that sooner or later they will scratch. I am super careful with my devices and don't use them in dirty environments but alas the dreaded scratch would appear and then I end up with a screen protector to cover up and hide the scratch. I had my iPhone 6S Plus for 6 months before seeing the first scratch and I really didn't want to put on any screen protector as they just don't look good due to the rounded edges. But last weekend I put on a screen protector just so not to see that ugly scratch. I keep my electronics in their own spaces so no contact with keys or anything like that.

Now with the new iPad and Pencil, I could just see more opportunity for scratches. I got the keyboard cover to go with my iPad so I really didn't want to heft it up any further. Instead of the glass protector, I initially threw on an old anti-glare protector. I'm not a fan of th anti-glare as it takes away from the clarity of the screen. So I ordered the Power Support crystal clear and it's great. Went on easy, no additional heft and no noticeable additional glare. And also wanted to mention that while using the Pencil the first week with the anti-glare, I felt a tad of drag one time and immediately took it off and wiped the tip. The screen protector was scratched. I'm just glad it was the protector and not the iPad screen.

Reactions: Mr.C

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I like to use devices caseless, but I was thinking about a sleeve for transporting or storing.

Anyone else go that route?

This looks appealing to me:
https://www.amazon.ca/ACECOAT-Premi...=1459798288&sr=1-47&keywords=ipad+soft+sleeve

Or I guess one with a pocket for the pencil or earbuds:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/220...air-sleeve-ipad-air-2?ref=shop_home_active_16

I agree with ya. I've been looking for a sleeve that can hold my soon to be delivered iPad with the keyboard cover. Found this one: https://www.sfbags.com/collections/ipad-cases/products/ipad-sleevecase but Im not a fan of the velcro closure. Might just bite the bullet though and get anyway. Unless I find something else!

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
I agree with ya. I've been looking for a sleeve that can hold my soon to be delivered iPad with the keyboard cover. Found this one: https://www.sfbags.com/collections/ipad-cases/products/ipad-sleevecase but Im not a fan of the velcro closure. Might just bite the bullet though and get anyway. Unless I find something else!

It's so hard to find just the right sleeve! Sfbags seems to make some nice stuff though. I'm using my new iPad heavily as a sketchbook, and so many cases and stuff are so "techy" it takes me out of the nice analogue experience the pencil replicates. Plus there's not a lot that are designed to accommodate the pencil as well, just generic pockets that I could see it falling out from.

Share if you find anything else! I'm itching to get something!

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Just got the SF Bags iPad SleeveCase yesterday. $59 dollars. It's nice and I think I'm going to keep it. I really like the look of it. Although, I do have a Pack & Smooch sleeve that just shipped to me in dark grey and that one looks a little nicer in my opinion. Here's some pics of the SF Bags sleeve if anyone is interested. My only complaint on this sleeve is the velcro...wish it had been a magnet closure instead.

Attachments

• IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_6948.jpg
    IMG_6948.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6947.jpg
    IMG_6947.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 276

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Just got the SF Bags iPad SleeveCase yesterday. $59 dollars. It's nice and I think I'm going to keep it. I really like the look of it. Although, I do have a Pack & Smooch sleeve that just shipped to me in dark grey and that one looks a little nicer in my opinion. Here's some pics of the SF Bags sleeve if anyone is interested. My only complaint on this sleeve is the velcro...wish it had been a magnet closure instead.

Nice! I see there is a pencil in there in one shot. Does it seem secure? I do like the dedicated holder in the Pack & Smooch one though.

For some dumb reason Im hunting for a portrait orientation sleeve. I don't even know why I want it that way!

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Nice! I see there is a pencil in there in one shot. Does it seem secure? I do like the dedicated holder in the Pack & Smooch one though.

For some dumb reason Im hunting for a portrait orientation sleeve. I don't even know why I want it that way!

Yes! There is a pencil holder in there and it does seem secure. Only one way to put the pencil in so the loop for it is closed on one side. The Pack & Smooch might be a tighter fit than this one. We'll have to see.

I have seen a few portrait orientation sleeves on Etsy. The horizontal orientation just seems more natural to me for some reason...haha

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I got the apple pink silicone case(Back) plus the apple keyboard case, the only issue I see is that with the keyboard case, sometimes it gets stuck to the ipad, and its hard to open, and I notice with the volume control on the site sometimes its difficult to press the button to make it higher or lower you have to press really hard on the case

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I got the apple pink silicone case(Back) plus the apple keyboard case, the only issue I see is that with the keyboard case, sometimes it gets stuck to the ipad, and its hard to open, and I notice with the volume control on the site sometimes its difficult to press the button to make it higher or lower you have to press really hard on the case

Are you happy with it overall? I was tempted to get one with my keyboard cover but thought it might add too much bulk.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Are you happy with it overall? I was tempted to get one with my keyboard cover but thought it might add too much bulk.

Yeah Im happy with it, except the case outside does attract dust so I have to keep on wiping it with a cloth..the pink case its cool just the volume control you really have to press hard to move the volume

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I got the MoKo frosted transparent back cover for my iPad Pro which I use along with the Apple Smart Keyboard. The combination works well and the charcoal grey Smart Cover goes well with my Rose Gold iPad. I'm now looking for a sleeve and have seen a few interesting ones on Etsy as well as the ones on SF Bags. I recently got the Rickshaw Bags iPad Messenger bag in custom colours and might get a matching iPad sleeve from them. I need to measure the dimensions of my iPad with the back case and Smart Keyboard and see if they can make one that fits.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I got the MoKo frosted transparent back cover for my iPad Pro which I use along with the Apple Smart Keyboard. The combination works well and the charcoal grey Smart Cover goes well with my Rose Gold iPad. I'm now looking for a sleeve and have seen a few interesting ones on Etsy as well as the ones on SF Bags. I recently got the Rickshaw Bags iPad Messenger bag in custom colours and might get a matching iPad sleeve from them. I need to measure the dimensions of my iPad with the back case and Smart Keyboard and see if they can make one that fits.
Please share some photos.

Reactions: Blueline29

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
View attachment 627806 View attachment 627807 View attachment 627808
[doublepost=1461196259][/doublepost]I just ordered the following sleeve from SF Bags in black ballistic nylon.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/ipad-cases/products/peralta-scarlett-sleeve-for-ipad-and-macbook

I also ordered the Atelier iPad accessories case as well.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/pouches/products/atelier-ipad-gear-case
Looking good. Is the back cover soft TPU or had polycarbonate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.