Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Since we all have the same iPad, watch this video at the 0:51 and pause there where the red balls are flying with a background. At 35% to 45% I can very clearly see the bloom just as bad as the photos appear.

‘what I found interesting, is if you lay it flat on a table and take several steps back, the blooming gets even worse, as worse as the photos that I’ve seen

I found that the drums and keyboards being played offbeat from the music playing to be more annoying than any “blooming.” In fact, I didn’t see any blooming on my device!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I hope you are right. I just can’t get over how egregious it is. I am also very surprised that none of the YouTubers haven’t even commented on the issue in their reviews. Seems suspicious.
The usual YouTubers who get Apple products early for video ads for Apple aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. They do their best tot keep everything rainbows and unicorns with Apple products. If you want honest and informative reviews without the hype, Zollotech is worth checking out.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Since we all have the same iPad, watch this video at the 0:51 and pause there where the red balls are flying with a background. At 35% to 45% I can very clearly see the bloom just as bad as the photos appear.

‘what I found interesting, is if you lay it flat on a table and take several steps back, the blooming gets even worse, as worse as the photos that I’ve seen

That's how a Mini-LED display works.

TylerYYC

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Still waiting for my iPad 12.9” 1tb to ship. Becoming a little concerned with all the “blooming” issues.

However, I own a ProDisplay XDR and while blooming exists on the screen it is nowhere near as bad as what’s pictured on the iPad photos. In fact the attached photo is from the ProDisplay XDR in a room with all the lights out during the daytime; when working in this environment l, I have to go hunting for blooming to see it, however it’s quite prominent in the photo. At night in pitch black the blooming is more noticeable but nothing like my picture of the daytime (I’ll be sure to take a picture tonight).

I guess I’m wondering if the blooming on the iPad is as bad as all the photos make it seem to be? Or are the photos exaggerating it greatly like my ProDisplay XDR. I imagine there is a lot of exaggeration, especially considering the screen is smaller and has way more local dimming zones than the XDR ProDisplay?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
For me they are exaggerated, a photo viewed on a different unit can almost never convey what it actually looked like when the photo was taken. I suggest trying it yourself when you get your unit but I have to go looking for it with conditions I normally don’t use the iPad in. It seems updating to 14.5.1 reduces blooming so remember to do that.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I see some on my device, but not enough to return it and certainly not to the extent the photos are showing in this forum.

Reactions: LFC2020

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
the blooming effect is absolutely noticeable with a jacked eyes. Set you Home Screen background to pure black color. And then add just one app icon to a space. Then start dragging the icon around. I see about 1.5-2 centimeters of blooming around the icon. The brightness is set almost to the bare minimum.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It would be a shame if the iPad had an inferior screen to the Prodisplay. I mean, why bother making something like that? What junk that would be, imo.

I sincerely doubt it's any worse because of that reasoning. But we shall see. :D

I'm buying a Samsung S7+ to see exactly what is going on (I have the new 12.9" iPad). I was going to get one anyway, but now I'm really curious to compare the technologies. Should be fun. I will post my observations

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
The photos are totally exaggerated. I was worried before receiving mine as well, but it really is no big deal during normal use. And I have an LG OLED TV and know what I am talking about. However, reading white text on black background in a dark room will look a bit wonky. It just is the nature of this display technology. Just don’t obsess over it and it will be fine. ?

TylerYYC

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
It would be a shame if the iPad had an inferior screen to the Prodisplay. I mean, why bother making something like that? What junk that would be, imo.

I sincerely doubt it's any worse because of that reasoning. But we shall see. :D

I'm buying a Samsung S7+ to see exactly what is going on (I have the new 12.9" iPad). I was going to get one anyway, but now I'm really curious to compare the technologies. Should be fun. I will post my observations
I'm just looking at the specs. More dimming zones, smaller screen sizes, should equal less blooming/better quality, all things being equal. Now I know that the ProDisplay uses regular LEDs compared to mini-LEDS... but on paper everything else is either on par or better with the iPad.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
You really have to go out of your way to see blooming in that video. Pause at exactly 0:51? Even then, it's noticeable, but like I watched the whole video and the awesomeness of the screen outweighs that screen grab.
“Going out of your way” is such an exaggeration to someone providing an example lol

Anyway quite the defensive response, I’m just pointing it out and I agree the awesomeness of the screen does outweigh the blooming, it’s not specific to the screen grab. It happens anywhere, especially on a black background.

Reactions: Moyapilot

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
dont let this thread offend you guys, i love mini led. It’s superior to my old iPad, I noticed it immediately on my first viewing and wanted to share an example of it. i love HDR

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
This is one of the most blindingly beautiful videos I’ve seen on my XDR, seriously.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
mini LED is aimed at being a compromise between LCD low contrast, and OLED self lit pixels but low overall brightness. I personally think the tradeoffs are worth it when you have that many dimming zones. Yes there are edge cases but I’d expect Apple to address those - eg if you’re using white on black high contrast they could apply a backlight across the entire screen - give up ultimate blacks for uniform display.

I do also think the HDR is too ‘poppy’ at the moment - that example video looks amazing in some places, but it just stands out unrealistically in others. HDR videos on youtube are the same - lights etc seem ‘max brightness’ and falls off too quickly. Maybe needs some adjustment in the tone mapping
As an owner of Galaxy Tab S7 (OLED display) I am curious where the notion of low OLED brightness comes from. Indoors (the vast majority of the tablet usage for me) I keep the brightness at about 25% and it's not because of the battery life concerns. The display is plenty bright even for sunlight.

Reactions: Wackery

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I’d say people are exaggerating blooming - I’ve seen none at all on mine (12.9 M1 1TB). Just saw this on reddit - 2020 on the left and 2021 on the right:

55DDF5CF-CFFD-4764-AB78-1716C8DA06DA.jpeg

Description: “Black blooming test with white UI elements

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/njcb8k

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.