Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Any -gate name created already? There should be by now. Lol.

I use the screen as anybody would normally does and I don’t find any apparent problem with the screen quality.
It’s excellent actually when I watched a movie on the bed last night.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
On my iPad 12.5, when I use it during the daytime, I see now blooming (I use black wallpaper, dark mode). The screen looks good. But when I use it at night, with no ambient light, the blooming is horrible.

I've reset my iPad settings today and will be testing in the evening if it has made any differences.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I’d say people are exaggerating blooming - I’ve seen none at all on mine (12.9 M1 1TB). Just saw this on reddit - 2020 on the left and 2021 on the right:

View attachment 1780353

Description: “Black blooming test with white UI elements

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/njcb8k
People sometimes need justifications for ‘not buying’ things. Weird.

“Oh I’m not buying this thing not because it’s expensive. Because it has problems! And I’m smart not jumping into it!”

Reactions: pdoherty

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
On my iPad 12.5, when I use it during the daytime, I see now blooming (I use black wallpaper, dark mode). The screen looks good. But when I use it at night, with no ambient light, the blooming is horrible.

I've reset my iPad settings today and will be testing in the evening if it has made any differences.
12.5?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
This is my first iPad and I have no clue what blooming is or what you're talking about. Ignorance is bliss :)
Well you would know what I’m talking about if you followed what I said. But you know what I mean. It’s not ignorance it’s being disingenuous

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Shp74 and lyngo

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
This screen is fantastic. i understand the issue, I own one, but I also know how narrow this issue is relative to how remarkable the screen is in pretty much every condition. Enjoy it. It’s good to inform people of the specific and narrow issue, but it seems there are a few people who are taking over this forum and Reddit with some axe to grind. They are so upset for some reason and it seems strange to me. It’s cool to express one’s concerns, I’m just surprised at the odd level of vehemence. I think it’s time to enjoy my new 12.9” iPP and skip these boards for a while. Now I’ll look forward to seeing what iPad OS changes are in store.

Reactions: Isengardtom

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
This screen is fantastic. i understand the issue, I own one, but I also know how narrow this issue is relative to how remarkable the screen is in pretty much every condition. Enjoy it. It’s good to inform people of the specific and narrow issue, but it seems there are a few people who are taking over this forum and Reddit with some axe to grind. They are so upset for some reason and it seems strange to me. It’s cool to express one’s concerns, I’m just surprised at the odd level of vehemence. I think it’s time to enjoy my new 12.9” iPP and skip these boards for a while. Now I’ll look forward to seeing what iPad OS changes are in store.
yeah, this was my main reason for upgrading. But who really cares if people hate it, regardless, with the criticism, Apple will try to do their best improving. Apple does prioritize controversy, unless theyre too arrogant to do so

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I hope you are right. I just can’t get over how egregious it is. I am also very surprised that none of the YouTubers haven’t even commented on the issue in their reviews. Seems suspicious.
Where is Lou frommUnboxtherapy when we need him ?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
This site should be re-named “Bloom County” with the amount of obsessing and misinformation going on!

9A9C323E-6D03-4D6A-90BF-588036DD9715.jpeg

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Still waiting for my iPad 12.9” 1tb to ship. Becoming a little concerned with all the “blooming” issues.

However, I own a ProDisplay XDR and while blooming exists on the screen it is nowhere near as bad as what’s pictured on the iPad photos. In fact the attached photo is from the ProDisplay XDR in a room with all the lights out during the daytime; when working in this environment l, I have to go hunting for blooming to see it, however it’s quite prominent in the photo. At night in pitch black the blooming is more noticeable but nothing like my picture of the daytime (I’ll be sure to take a picture tonight).

I guess I’m wondering if the blooming on the iPad is as bad as all the photos make it seem to be? Or are the photos exaggerating it greatly like my ProDisplay XDR. I imagine there is a lot of exaggeration, especially considering the screen is smaller and has way more local dimming zones than the XDR ProDisplay?
Not really. Depends on the content. I made a post here showing a video that shows how bad the blooming is. Go check it out when you get your iPad. It’s pretty bad, but not a dealbreaker and it’s worth it for the HDR imo

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah let’s turn everything to the extreme so that nobody will have the same settings in real life and SEE! THERE IS BLOOMING, THE SKY IS FALLING DOWN! BLOOM-GATE! THE OLD LCD SCREEN IS THE BEST! THE WHOLE SCREEN HAS LIGHT LEAK, NO BLOOMING!

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
No I'm confused how it can show absolutely none of it on the UI elements, whereas lots of other photos show lots of it

Because most of the photos aren’t showing blooming from the display, the effect shown in many of the photos is way bigger than the dimming zones so it cannot be an effect of that.

The photos are basically showing an effect that happens when we or a camera gets “blinded” by a bright light next to something darker. It happens on my OLED TV, iPhone and it also happens in real life…

Last edited:

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Well you would know what I’m talking about if you followed what I said. But you know what I mean. It’s not ignorance it’s being disingenuous
I did what you said in the op and I still didn’t see anything bad ??

I could do it again in complete darkness but I rarely use my iPad in complete darkness. I have to remember to do it tonight

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i know this is an apple forum but wow so many people in denial and sticking their head in the sand

blooming is not acceptable and i will never buy a product with Mini LED. if Apple is going to be putting this in future iPads (11", Air, etc) and MacBooks then I won't be buying them. They should be using OLED which is far superior. Micro LED is the real end goal right now which should be better than OLED but that seems a long way off yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.